Discworld

What are you reading when not on this forum IV

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby phalarope » Sun Jan 05, 2020 01:03 pm

Hounded by Kevin Hearne. Part 1 of the Druid Chronicles. Light easy read, quite funny.

Witches of Lychford by Paul Cornell. Another short read. Gaiman-esque and enjoyable.

Grinding through Alan Bennett's Keeping On Keeping On.

The last two are somewhat hard to read. Bennett's is a diary so I'll guess a light hand by an editor. Lots of sentences that could be read multiple ways, and no helpful punctuation. Cornell doesn't like commas and ambiguous pronouns are the rule, so was not a smooth read. The story was good enough to keep me going, though.

Action At A Distance (Aaronovitch). Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would like graphic novels. Until Peter Grant.

Both of Stevyn Colgan's novels (A Murder to Die For and The Diabolical Club) on audiobook (after having read the print versions). Waiting for Cockerings.

Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi audiobook, narrated by Grover Gardiner. This is one of my favorite books. It needs the right voice to capture both Twain's dry wit and the factual parts of the book without being dull or snarky. I really liked Nick Offerman's narration of A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, too.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Catch-up » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:07 pm

I've read a couple of good books recently.

Dear America: Notes of an Undocumented Citizen by Jose Antonio Vargas. I don't usually read memoirs, but I'm so glad I grabbed this one! There's so much about our immigration laws that I'm completely ignorant on. This was an eye opener. He actually spoke at Thing 1's college. I was hoping to make it, but had the plague. :roll:

The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher. This was a horror story, but it also had great humor. I was giggling by page 4. And the way the story unfolded was unexpected. Really enjoyed it!

Right now I'm reading How Rory Thorne Destroyed the Multiverse. It starts with a seed of the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale and launches into a future world sci fi story. I grabbed this on a whim at the library. I almost took it back without reading it, because sci fi isn't really my thing. But, I needed something to read one day and tried it. Love the way it's written! It almost feels like a Doctor Who episode.

And, like Carol, I'm working my way through the Rivers of London graphic novels. They're awesome!! They're also my first graphic novels.
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Sun Feb 16, 2020 08:52 pm

Just got my hands on the new Ben Aaronovitch novel, False Values, after a signing at the local library.
Don't disturb me fr a few days.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby phazedout » Sun Feb 16, 2020 09:44 pm

Just finished book 2 of the first law trilogy by #Joe Ambercrombie. May move on to book 3 or rummage thorugh my analog and asimovs backlog
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:14 pm

Just finished Jasper Fforde's newest. It's excellent. His best for a long time. .
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:22 pm

Stew d'Apples wrote:Just finished Jasper Fforde's newest. It's excellent. His best for a long time. .
I managed to get hold of a pre-publication copy. I am now on my third reading and am still finding references I missed.
He is taking over from Terry as far as social references go.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Squigglyx » Tue Jul 14, 2020 09:07 pm

Stew d'Apples wrote:Just finished Jasper Fforde's newest. It's excellent. His best for a long time. .

Mine arrived yesterday and is sat on top of the next to read pile. Should be starting on it this week sometime I think :D
Squigglyx

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jul 16, 2020 04:44 pm

Started reading Arnaldur Indidason's series of hard boiled murder detective stories set in Reykjavik

Just finished the first, Jar City

You can actually see him improving as a writer through the book
The first half is very 'written' the second is much more 'describing what he sees behind his eyes' and has better flow, dialogue, urgency
Also, very Icelandic problems and issues, so a nice change of pace

The translator is an old friend of mine from pre-DW days, and he's truly excellent. There are two or three nods to Terry - especially (obviously) Sam Vimes in there too
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:08 am

Now deep into the Iron Druid Chronicles - just finished "Shattered". I'm enjoying the audiobooks, too.

Audio of "Sandman". It's. Brilliant.

I listened to Stephen Fry's "Heroes". I read "Mythos", and thought it was a bit of a slog, but Fry's narration of his own work was much more enjoyable.

"The Library of the Unwritten". Well written with a good plot. All the unwritten books are kept in a special library in Hell.

"The Woman Who Smashed Codes: - the story of Elizebeth Friedman, who pretty much started the science of cryptanalysis in the USA. Everyone gives all the credit to her husband, William Friedman, but she did an equal share of the work.

"The Royal Society and the Invention of Modern Science" by Adrian Tinniswood.(I can't help making his name into Adrian Turnipseed :lol: ). The Washington Post and NPR raved about this book, which prompted my purchase. Meh. Maybe for someone with zero knowledge of the history of science, but I've been reading about the development of early science since I was in elementary school....
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sat Aug 15, 2020 06:31 pm

Try A Short History of Nearly Everything by BIll Bryson for a good books about the history of science. It was published over ten years ago but is still a good read even though some of the science might be outdated.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby phalarope » Sun Aug 16, 2020 05:35 pm

Stew d'Apples wrote:Try A Short History of Nearly Everything by BIll Bryson for a good books about the history of science. It was published over ten years ago but is still a good read even though some of the science might be outdated.

Have read that one, along with most everything else Bryson has written. :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby steeljam » Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:34 pm

I am reading the Magic of Terry Pratchett by Marc Burrows. Pretty good read. Good section about the origins and evolution of Good Omens
The trouble is that there are references to his early books that I haven't read for 30 years and so have had to reread Dark Side of the Sun and Strata.
I must thank Marc for getting me to reread them.
steeljam
Monitor

Previous

Return to The Reading Room