Discworld

What are you reading when not on this forum IV

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby steveastrouk » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Just read The Martian a soon-to-be motion picture. It's a sort of engineer's wish fulfillment fantasy....
man abandoned on Mars survives
https://xkcd.com/1536/
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:45 pm

Just got the last chapter to read on Karroté humorous novel, had me laughing by page five, one of the comments: Imagine that Richard Adams met Tom Holt in a pub & started chatting. This is easily their version of Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman's Good Omens.
And this is the blurb :lol:
Pansy the rabbit is a cantankerous old misery, a dreadful cynic and pretty much burning up with hate and regret. It is only natural therefore that for many years he has pursued a successful career in teaching. This comedy fantasy for adults strips away all of the conventional romance and fluffy niceties associated with the talking animal genre. It laughs in the face of cute, and flips the vees at cuddly. Welcome to life at the bottom of the Food Chain. Puerile, vulgar, and a grammatical affront to English speakers everywhere, this book is not recommended for children - or lovers of foxes with vivid imaginations.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Stew d'Apples » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 pm

Finished The Death House by Sarah Pinborough last night. Brilliant and touching.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby AgnesNitt » Wed Sep 23, 2015 03:55 pm

Just finished Summon the Keeper by Tanya Huff, a funny fantasy book, highly recommended.
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:02 am

The Library of Trinity College Dublin has made the beautiful Book of Kells available for free on-line :D It lets you zoom right in too!
I'm not religious, but I first saw this book as a child and have always found the intricate artwork beautiful and fascinating.

Announcement
The Book of Kells on-line (I had to accept the cookies thingy before it would load and it takes a few seconds to do so)

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Tue Sep 29, 2015 02:50 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:The Library of Trinity College Dublin has made the beautiful Book of Kells

Have they asked Kel's permission? :D
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:03 am

Recently finished Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson. Loved it! So many laugh out loud moments.

I have to admit, I got the Shepherd's Crown months ago, and I still can't bring myself to read it. I've been working on Blink of the Screen, it's alternately making me happy and sad.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Stew d'Apples » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:23 pm

Finished reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik over the weekend. Really enjoyed it.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 pm

Stew d'Apples wrote:Finished reading Uprooted by Naomi Novik over the weekend. Really enjoyed it.

I have just picked this up and am reading it. I got it off Barnes and Noble as a signed edition. Just about 50 pages in
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby hansolobiker » Mon Dec 07, 2015 09:20 am

Just finished-Liar, Temptress, Soldier, Spy By Karen Abbott -factual exploits of four women during the American Civil War(kindly sent to me by Catch-Up!) Illuminating study of how patriotism can affect 'ordinary' women. An excellent book.
....And forgiveness walks at my side!
hansolobiker

Postby DavidAHarvey » Wed Dec 09, 2015 04:17 am

I'm working my way through Robert Heinlein's Expanded Universe, his 1980 collection of early fiction and non-fiction.
Although I'm enjoying the pieces themselves, I'm finding, the fore and afterwords to each of them the most interesting part as he looks back on them and puts them into perspective.

BTW Together with Doublestar and Heinlein's original version of Podkayne of Mars*, and two Larry Niven books, Expanded Universe is part of this months Phoenix Pick special offer book bundle http://www.phoenixpick.com/newsletter/2015-12.htm
*I'm rather looking forward to reading the intended ending rather than the one his editor insisted on.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Stew d'Apples » Thu Dec 31, 2015 03:41 pm

Just finished Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson. Enjoyable take on super powers. Would make a good film.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sat Jan 02, 2016 04:03 pm

Reading Folklore of Discworld. Alas I'm not enjoying it as much I was thought I would. :(
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby steveastrouk » Sat Jan 02, 2016 07:49 pm

A very grimy copy of "Project Orion" by George Dyson. Bought off Amazon 2nd hand, looks like it was stored in a coffee jug, while the coffee was in it.
Fascinating though, how to build a nuclear bomb powered spaceship, and power it with very tiny bombs.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby SANEAlex » Fri Jan 08, 2016 08:58 pm

steveastrouk wrote:A very grimy copy of "Project Orion" by George Dyson. Bought off Amazon 2nd hand, looks like it was stored in a coffee jug, while the coffee was in it.
Fascinating though, how to build a nuclear bomb powered spaceship, and power it with very tiny bombs.

I agree it was a very interesting read not that I am a member of the Discordians or anything :wink: :twisted: but as my copy has disappeared in strange circumstances I suspect the only copies that still exist are those stored by proper conspiracy theorists in coffee jugs. A reason for the disappearances maybe I suspect, if those who audit American government money spending had read and understood a copy they might have wondered where certain "research funding" actually went during the second bush administration as the data wanted had already been researched decades before and the book even indicated where the filing cabinets that contained the data once were... just saying... hmm where's my tinfoil hat... :roll: :wink: :twisted:
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Room