Discworld

What are you reading when not on this forum IV

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby steveastrouk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 09:07 pm

SANEAlex wrote: if those who audit American government money spending had read and understood a copy they might have wondered where certain "research funding" actually went during the second bush administration as the data wanted had already been researched decades before and the book even indicated where the filing cabinets that contained the data once were... just saying... hmm where's my tinfoil hat... :roll: :wink: :twisted:

Just pray that if the planet killer is seen a year out, we can loft an Orion at it, at its maximum possible acceleration.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby phazedout » Thu Mar 10, 2016 09:53 pm

A is for Alibi.
While out walking around town with a friend on sunday I came across B through H in this series. My OCD won't allow me to start at B though, i still picked them up and they are sitting colourfully atop my dvd shelf. I bought A on kindle
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:11 am

Just finished reading a book about the Romanov dynasty by Simon Sebag Montefiore. Excellent read. The later Romanovs just reactionary morons who are unable to adapt hence the revolution in 1917. The Tsars from Peter the Great to Catherine the Great are just batshit crazy. Well worth it.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Basement » Wed Sep 07, 2016 09:27 am

Re-re-re (etc) reading Guards! Guards! So love the Watch books.

Anyway, I remember that in one of the later books (can't remember which at the moment), Drumknot made some comment along the lines of "If you didn't have Vimes, you would have had to invent him" to which Vetinari replied "I rather think that I did", or something similar.

Now, in G!G! Vetinari tells Wonse that he has worked years to get the Night Watch to the sorry state that they are in and not to worry about them. This seems in direct contradiction to the much later comment. Now, I know that Terry may not have realised at the time of writing G!G! just what sort of character Sam was going to turn out to be and he evolved far more than Terry expected, but I just want to reconcile the two comments!

Especially as I can see the moment when Sam starts to become the Sam that we know and love; Vetinari is inspecting the charred wall with the lovely outline that is the remains of a group of thieves and Vetinari tells Vimes not to investigate, that the footprint is just of a large wading bird. I would like to think that Vetinari would have known exactly what that comment would make Sam do, and therefore Vetinari's comment to Wonse was part of the design to help shape the Watch into what Vetinari wanted.

Or am I just babbling?
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:36 am

Basement wrote:Re-re-re (etc) reading Guards! Guards! So love the Watch books.

Anyway, I remember that in one of the later books (can't remember which at the moment), Drumknot made some comment along the lines of "If you didn't have Vimes, you would have had to invent him" to which Vetinari replied "I rather think that I did", or something similar.

Now, in G!G! Vetinari tells Wonse that he has worked years to get the Night Watch to the sorry state that they are in and not to worry about them. This seems in direct contradiction to the much later comment. Now, I know that Terry may not have realised at the time of writing G!G! just what sort of character Sam was going to turn out to be and he evolved far more than Terry expected, but I just want to reconcile the two comments!

Especially as I can see the moment when Sam starts to become the Sam that we know and love; Vetinari is inspecting the charred wall with the lovely outline that is the remains of a group of thieves and Vetinari tells Vimes not to investigate, that the footprint is just of a large wading bird. I would like to think that Vetinari would have known exactly what that comment would make Sam do, and therefore Vetinari's comment to Wonse was part of the design to help shape the Watch into what Vetinari wanted.

Or am I just babbling?
No, not just blabbing - I understand where you're coming from as this was something I puzzled over for a while too.
The conclusion I came to was that Vetinari could see, and was frustrated by, the potential of Sam Vimes being wasted due to his long-term alcoholism and had to push him to his absolute rock bottom before Ol' Stoneface was awakened in him and started to fight back. The series of dents in the wall outside Vetinari's office left my Vimes' fist in frustration marked the history of Vetinari's trying to get Sam Vimes to start being the Sam Vimes that Vetinari knew he could be. Vetinari is exceedingly good at recognising, and putting to good use, the potential of talented people: Vimes, Carrot, Moist, Angua, Lady Margolotta, Lady Sybil, Rosie Palm etc, etc, etc

In my mind, Vetinari had to use the Watch to do this with Vimes, as it was the one thing that Vimes really cared about. Vimes was wasting his life through apathy and drinking, but the Watch is his Achilles heal - Vetinari had to almost destroy the Watch in order to get Vimes to fight to defend it, re-engage with life, and (not to put too fine a point on it) stop pissing his life away - particularly in dark alleyways where be might meet a club with a nail in it . . .

It was the threat of the destruction of the Watch that helped to turn Vimes around, sober him up and start using his considerable intelligence and aptitude for the benefit of Annk-Morpork (and therefore Vetinari) . . . and the considerable charms of Lady Sybil were a welcome carrot to Vetinari's stick, particularly in that enormous ginger wig of hers :wink:

I also suspect that Vetinari, being Vetinari, knew or at least suspected what Wonse was up to and was deliberately deflecting Wonse's attention away from the Watch by being so dismissive
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Sep 09, 2016 08:17 pm

Basement wrote:Re-re-re (etc) reading Guards! Guards! So love the Watch books.

Or am I just babbling?

Maybe Vetinari realised Vimes' potential after Guards! Guards! and then worked to make the Vimes he came to be.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sat Sep 10, 2016 09:02 am

I have a three month trial with Audible as I signed up to Amazon Prime for a month and one of the free books I've got is Good Omens. Just finished reading it and it confirms my opinion that it's one of the best books ever written.

The other audio book I have is Alan Partridge's autobiography read by Steve Coogan in character and it's great to listen to when I'm doing overtime on the sorting floor.

I'll have one more free audio book next month and can't decide which one to go for.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:17 am

Stew d'Apples wrote:I have a three month trial with Audible as I signed up to Amazon Prime for a month and one of the free books I've got is Good Omens. Just finished reading it and it confirms my opinion that it's one of the best books ever written.

The other audio book I have is Alan Partridge's autobiography read by Steve Coogan in character and it's great to listen to when I'm doing overtime on the sorting floor.

I'll have one more free audio book next month and can't decide which one to go for.
I recently re-read Good Omens myself after a gap of many years and agree with you - it's a work of genius :thumbl:

I have just read my first Stephen Baxter novel (I haven't read any of the Long Earth series he wrote with STP yet) and chose "Proxima" as, given the recent confirmation of an Earth-like planet in the Proxima B system, I always like it when Science Fiction predicts science fact. Overall, it was an enjoyable read: I felt the story/plots were good and I really liked the concentration on the science aspects and the speculation on cultural divisions/tensions were quite prescient, but the characters were a little 2-dimensional and lacked any depth of character, a lot of the plot points were left unresolved which is frustrating and the final plot-twist at the end felt contrived and unconvincing. I have since discovered there is a sequel, Ultima (Proxima 2), so will have to order this from Amazon to find out what happens next, but if the end of Proxima 1 is anything to go by, I might need to dig out my old Latin dictionary as I'm a bit rusty. Romani ite usque ad cælum . . .
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Sun Jan 15, 2017 05:39 pm

Wow, its been 4 months since the last post in this thread. :shock: What HAVE you all been DOING????

My copy of the UK edition of Ben Aaronovitch's latest, The Hanging Tree, arrived at the end of the week, and I have snarfed it up. Ben's still on good form. He's included 2 shout outs to Terry - one blatant, and the other obvious. :thumbr: Now I'm trying to backfill the library with hardcover UK editions of books 2-4. This is proving to be more difficult than I anticipated. Amazon UK wants a mint, and I'm not convinced the used bookseller in the USA where I found reasonably priced copies is actually flogging UK editions. (Yes, I've tried using ISBN as the search criterion).

I am intrigued by the graphic novel stuff, but I find the comic format distracting - I want to read words and make my own images in my mind. Maybe I'll wait for the collections to be published...
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Basement » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:08 am

I'm reading Jasper Fforde's The Last Dragonslayer series. Then I shall move on to the two Thursday Next books that I haven't read and then Shades of Grey. Bit of a Fforde ffest!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:26 am

Just finished Dead Man Walking by Simon R. Green. Fun, easy read. Just started The Magicians by Lev Grossman. Decided to give it a try because we just watched the first series of the show based on it and it was enjoyable. So far, just a short way in, the book is so much better.
Catch-up

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 pm

I've just started the second in Ken MacLeod's trilogy The Corporation Wars: Insurgence, its about robot mining machines that has become sentient, drone warfare, virtual reality and A.I. enjoying it so far, I find his books make you think.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Basement » Mon May 08, 2017 08:22 am

I've finally bought American Gods. There is no way that I'm watching this show before I've read it!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Pat » Mon May 08, 2017 08:44 am

I've just read "The Three-Body Problem" by Chinese author Liu Cixin and I'm half-way through the sequel (which is probably going to volume 2 of a trilogy).

It starts in revolutionary China and blends scifi, global politics, some slightly bonkers science which I'll forgive as it creates a major plot mechanism (a bit like we accept time travel or ftl).
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby phazedout » Mon May 15, 2017 05:24 am

Part 3 is noominge for best novel at the hugos this year, I've elcted not to read it as I still have to read mostly everything so I'm not plunging through the whole thing.
I also have it on good authority part 2 used a different translator and is rather a tough read.
I've recently read )with both eyes and ears_ closed and common orbit (loved it) Too like the lightning (interesting) and am now halfway through where all the birds go (awful, just terrible) still have two more books to read in best novel, then on to the novellas
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Room