Discworld

What are you reading when not on this forum IV

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 13, 2018 03:24 pm

phalarope wrote:How many cups of tea are you in, now? :wink:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

It looks like I'll actually have to do some **shudders at the thought** housework instead . . . and I thought being subjected to Eurovision last night was punishment enough for my sins!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby steeljam » Sun May 13, 2018 07:08 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
phalarope wrote:How many cups of tea are you in, now? :wink:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

You can skip the third book - the butler did it :thumbl:
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17436
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun May 13, 2018 07:23 pm

steeljam wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:
phalarope wrote:How many cups of tea are you in, now? :wink:
:lol: I've lost count! Have just finished the second book and realised with horror that the 3rd book wasn't delivered with the others :shock: :( So I've got to wait until the postman arrives tomorrow . . . and find something to occupy myself so I don't give in to temptation and start reading the 4th in the meantime :evil:

You can skip the third book - the butler did it :thumbl:
:lol:
Oh, not him again?!? :roll: In the library, with the lead piping was it?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Catch-up » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:36 am

Just finished the most recent in the Rivers of London series. Love those books! Also recently read a book called An Absolutely Remarkable Thing. A little frustrating from a plot perspective regarding the ending - unless there's going to be a sequel, but I didn't get that impression. But, the psychology of internet fame displayed by the main character is fascinating!

For whatever reason, I've given up on a good half dozen books after getting about half way through. I guess I just tried to slog through them longer than I should have.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
Catch-up
 
Posts: 22194
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:40 pm
Location: Michigan, USA

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:04 am

Went to a Ben Aaronovitch's (author of the Rivers Of London series) talk at Daunt Books in Hampstead yesterday evening and was delighted to find out that he's such a genuinely nice bloke!

I got there a bit early so had a chance to chat to him beforehand and was delighted to find out he's a proper fan-boy, just like us! He's possibly going to do the the DWCon next year :D

Also found out that he used to work in the Covent Garden Waterstones way back when I used to work round the corner and used to pop in at lunch times! He was manager of the fantasy & SciFi section, so I definitely would have actually met him at the till at some point - small old world innit?

He's also done a deal with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's production company to make a TV adaptation of the Rivers of London series. Ben won't be showrunner or writing all the scripts, but he will be executive producer and have final say over anything - so am really hopeful that this could be good :D No time-line yet for when production will start as yet.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 02:14 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Went to a Ben Aaronovitch's (author of the Rivers Of London series) talk at Daunt Books in Hampstead yesterday evening and was delighted to find out that he's such a genuinely nice bloke!

I got there a bit early so had a chance to chat to him beforehand and was delighted to find out he's a proper fan-boy, just like us! He's possibly going to do the the DWCon next year :D

Also found out that he used to work in the Covent Garden Waterstones way back when I used to work round the corner and used to pop in at lunch times! He was manager of the fantasy & SciFi section, so I definitely would have actually met him at the till at some point - small old world innit?

He's also done a deal with Simon Pegg & Nick Frost's production company to make a TV adaptation of the Rivers of London series. Ben won't be showrunner or writing all the scripts, but he will be executive producer and have final say over anything - so am really hopeful that this could be good :D No time-line yet for when production will start as yet.

You'll like this then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tldu63RKu40
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5539
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby chrisboote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 02:17 pm

I've got hold of the later Invisible Library books by Genevieve Cogman - whom I know quite well through my freeform weekend hobby

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invisible-Libr ... 1447256239

So I reread 1 & 2 at the beginning of the week, finished 3 yesterday and started 4 today, will have finished both it & 5 by the weekend
I like them - although, a little like the Jim Butcher Harry Dresden novels, they are getting slightly formulaic, they are still well written and absorbing

And pre ordered 6 after seeing it when I went to Amazon to get the link for this post :)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5539
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 05:34 pm

chrisboote wrote:You'll like this then...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tldu63RKu40
:D That was really good and I've not seen it before - 'nk you Mister B :thumbl:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 4593
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: What are you reading when not on this forum IV

Postby steeljam » Thu Jun 13, 2019 09:52 pm

Just finished October Man by Ben Aaronovitch.
It was a refreshing change to sees a different perspective than the Folly-based stories.
Set in Germany involving the wine industry.
I hope this will be an ongoing theme.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
User avatar
steeljam
Monitor
 
Posts: 17436
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 06:54 pm
Location: Welling in Kent

Previous

Return to The Reading Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests