Discworld

Caboodle book competition

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Caboodle book competition

Postby chrisboote » Fri Nov 13, 2015 04:49 am

This is running again
http://caboodle.nationalbooktokens.com/ ... petition=9
Some are a bit obscure, but I got them all in the end
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5274
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:02 pm

Woeful performance on my part! :oops:

I've only got to 14/20 and am stuck!
What's worse, is I suspect that the one's I'm stuck on are some of the easiest and I'm just not seeing the link! :? :(

I'm stuck on 'Dublin Odyssey', 'Carnival of mirrors', 'Paisley, Slough, Kilkenny', 'Bishop's Rock', 'French, American, Russian' and 'Fastnet, Lundy, Irish Sea'
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby chrisboote » Fri Nov 13, 2015 01:20 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Woeful performance on my part! :oops:

I've only got to 14/20 and am stuck!
What's worse, is I suspect that the one's I'm stuck on are some of the easiest and I'm just not seeing the link! :? :(

I'm stuck on 'Dublin Odyssey', 'Carnival of mirrors', 'Paisley, Slough, Kilkenny', 'Bishop's Rock', 'French, American, Russian' and 'Fastnet, Lundy, Irish Sea'


Clues...

Dublin Odyssey -think of the most famous characters in The Odyssey,and which one might have been written in Dublin
Carnival of Mirrors - what's another word for carnival? And if you look at yourself in mirrors all the time, what is that?
Paisley, Slough, Kilkenny - what are they all famous for producing? And what type of geopolitical feature are they?
Bishop's Rock - it's a signpost, pointing ...
Fastnet, Lundy, Irish Sea - all areas on the radio in ...
French, American, Russian -what turbulent word comes after each? And what sort of sign is it?
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5274
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 04:10 pm

chrisboote wrote:Clues...

Dublin Odyssey -think of the most famous characters in The Odyssey,and which one might have been written in Dublin
Carnival of Mirrors - what's another word for carnival? And if you look at yourself in mirrors all the time, what is that?
Paisley, Slough, Kilkenny - what are they all famous for producing? And what type of geopolitical feature are they?
Bishop's Rock - it's a signpost, pointing ...
Fastnet, Lundy, Irish Sea - all areas on the radio in ...
French, American, Russian -what turbulent word comes after each? And what sort of sign is it?

OK, cheers m'dear!! That helped a lot - now got them all & entered in the draw :thumbl:

Can't believe I missed 1, 2 and 6 - they were staring me in the face! What a gimboid :roll:
3 and 4 were a little tricky, especially as I've not heard of 3 before!
For 5, I had been entering forecast when it should have been news :mrgreen: :roll:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby chrisboote » Fri Nov 13, 2015 05:34 pm

There were quite a lot I'd never heard of - Google was helpful as usual :)
I'm impressed you got Buddha of Suburbia straight off - that was the one that took me the longest
Oh, except for the sneaky hidden one
And I'm disappointed that The Seagull wasn't one of them ;)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5274
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:13 am

chrisboote wrote:There were quite a lot I'd never heard of - Google was helpful as usual :)
I'm impressed you got Buddha of Suburbia straight off - that was the one that took me the longest
Oh, except for the sneaky hidden one
And I'm disappointed that The Seagull wasn't one of them ;)
I didn't have any trouble with those ones - I did a count up of the obvious signs early on, realised there was one short and went looking for the hidden one so it was one of the fist that I got, but The Seagull was a clever red herring and I have to admit to clicking on it at least twice just to make sure!
I had trouble with the North road sign clue, as hadn't heard of that book and it was only thanks to a word search on Amazon that I found it. Even with your extra clue, the Bishop's Rock clue led me completely up the wrong garden path for ages until I started thinking literally instead of cryptically and I wouldn't have got the Paisley, Slough, Kilkenny clue at all if it wasn't for your clue, as I've never heard of that book either and my knowledge of Slough doesn't extend much past The Office! :mrgreen: :wink:

I really liked this quiz and thought that some of the clues were really clever and fun, with a few fiendish ones thrown in for good measure :thumbl:

I never win these sort of things mind you*, but how much would I love a year's supply of books**!!!!



* If you held a raffle with three prizes in it and 10,000 tickets, you could tear out 3 raffle tickets at random, give the other 9,997 tickets to me and I still wouldn't win anything! :roll: C'est la vie . . .

** it could bankrupt them! :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 01:08 pm

OK, over a cup of tea on a cold and rainy London afternoon I had a poke about the other 'Find the Book' games, but I am currently stuck on 16/20 on game A!! Grrrr! :evil: :roll:

What books are these? - if you can work them out, any clues would be welcome . . . :wink:

Image

Image

Image

Image
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby chrisboote » Sat Nov 14, 2015 07:38 pm

Just guessing, didn't do that one, so not seen these before

1 It's a litre, low on water Low Litre
2 Very obvious - just read what you see Donkey O T
3 When are bombs used? What sort of camps do CND set up? War and Peace
4 He's small, he's royal Little Prince
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
User avatar
chrisboote
 
Posts: 5274
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 08:51 am

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Nov 14, 2015 08:33 pm

chrisboote wrote:Just guessing, didn't do that one, so not seen these before

1 It's a litre, low on water Low Litre
2 Very obvious - just read what you see Donkey O T
3 When are bombs used? What sort of camps do CND set up? War and Peace
4 He's small, he's royal Little Prince
:thumbl: you clever old stick! All present and correct :thumbr: Ta, luv!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker
 
Posts: 3741
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:00 am
Location: London

Re: Caboodle book competition

Postby Williambannerman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:15 am

Thank you for all providing information.
Williambannerman
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2015 11:06 am


Return to The Reading Room

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 2 guests