Discworld

Folio Society Mort

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Folio Society Mort

Postby Pat » Thu May 19, 2016 11:02 am

The Folio Society have issued a version of Mort - two versions, actually, a "standard" and a "limited edition". They come in the same slipcase and O think have the same illustrations - only the covers are different.

You can see the standard edition here - http://www.foliosociety.com/book/MOR/mort and the limited edition (500 copies, all sold within 13 hours and no, I didn't get one!) here http://www.foliosociety.com/book/LMO/mo ... ed-edition
Standard edition £35:
Folio Society web page wrote: Bound in cloth with an inset paper label printed with an image by the artist
Set in Caslon
240 pages
Black & white title-page illustration; 6 colour illustrations
Printed endpapers and slipcase
9 ½" x 6 ¼"

Limited edition £120:
Folio Society web page wrote: Limited to 500 copies
Bound in leather with blocking in gold leaf on the spine and raised bands
Set in Caslon
240 pages with a black & white title-page by artist Omar Rayyan; 7 colour illustrations
Features an exclusive signed print by the illustrator
Gold-printed endpapers and slipcase
9½˝ × 6¼˝

The standard edition has a colour illustration set into the cover, plus six internally. The limited edition has 7 colour illustrations internally. I assume the 7th is the same as the standard cover illustration, but I can't check. The illustrations are by Omar Rayyan, and there's a (long) foreword by A S Byatt. The spines are designed differently. The standard edition looks like - well, like a typical hardback book. It has "Terry Pratchett" at the top, "MORT" sideways down the spine and the Folio Society logo at the bottom, all in silver on black. The limited edition simply says "MORT" in gold horizontally and has the transverse ridges seen in hand bound books (though I think they're fake!) to make it resemble the Mort's biography, which Death gives him at the end of the book. You can see it on the Folio Society page by clicking on the appropriate thumbnail.

It is a lovely book and if you really, really want the sold out limited edition, there are some on ABE (which is disappointing, in a way) at between £320 and £650! (And I've just spotted one on eBay at £475.)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Re: Folio Society Mort

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu May 19, 2016 04:51 pm

Do both the editions have the deckled edges or only the limited edition. :?:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 19, 2016 05:35 pm

Great find, Pat :thumbl: Thanks for posting!

I have just helped myself to the standard edition, which is beautiful :D :D :D

I love the completely black cover of the special edition, but can't help feeling that the embossing and page edges should have been in silver rather than gold. Also for £120 I think they could have done something different with the slipcase. That said, had I known about the special edition in time, I probably would have bought one anyway :roll:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Thu May 19, 2016 08:29 pm

Whos Wee Dug wrote:Do both the editions have the deckled edges or only the limited edition. :?:

Limited edition has gold leaf edges; normal edition has plain edges. And I've found out that the 7th picture in the limited edition IS the same as the cover image of the standard edition, but it isn't bound into the book - it's loosoe.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Fri May 20, 2016 08:47 am

Grace Speaker wrote:I love the completely black cover of the special edition, but can't help feeling that the embossing and page edges should have been in silver rather than gold.

When Death gives Mort the book, the description in the text says "On the spine was blocked, in shiny gold leaf, the one word: Mort."

You can argue about the page edges, but they have got the spine as described - almost. A pedant might point out the Folio edition says "MORT" whereas the text says "Mort" but that would be being picky ;-)
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 20, 2016 09:08 am

Pat wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:I love the completely black cover of the special edition, but can't help feeling that the embossing and page edges should have been in silver rather than gold.

When Death gives Mort the book, the description in the text says "On the spine was blocked, in shiny gold leaf, the one word: Mort."

You can argue about the page edges, but they have got the spine as described - almost. A pedant might point out the Folio edition says "MORT" whereas the text says "Mort" but that would be being picky ;-)
Good points, both! And nothing wrong with being picky. It would be nice to have an edition that mirrors the one Death gave to Mort wouldn't it . . .
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Fri May 20, 2016 10:09 am

My Standard copy arrived today.
Beautiful. The cover is black velvet with an excellent picture on the front and silver embossed lettering on the spine.
Nice weight.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 20, 2016 12:53 pm

steeljam wrote:My Standard copy arrived today.
Beautiful. The cover is black velvet with an excellent picture on the front and silver embossed lettering on the spine.
Nice weight.
:thumbl: Can't wait to get mine now! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Grace Speaker

Return to The Reading Room