Discworld

Books with extra content

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Books with extra content

Postby Jagra » Fri May 27, 2016 05:15 pm

Hi I'm trying to make a list of the Terry Pratchett books that come with extra content like notes, extra info, inserts, 'extra chapters'. Most of it comes from retailer exclusive special first edtions or collectors editions, and most of them from Waterstones. Any help would be great thanks.

'Introduction,' in the Colour of Magic 1989 reprint.

Extras in the ARC mass paperback of Hat Full of Sky: ‘The Book That Demanded to be Written,’ ‘Talking with Terry Pratchett,’ ‘Welcome to the Discworld,’ and more.

The Amazing Maurice U.S. paperback also has extras inside: ‘Terry Pratchett’s Carnegie Medal Acceptance Speech,’ ‘Chatting with Terry Pratchett,’ ‘The Wee Free Men Excerpt.’

Only You Can Save Mankind US and newer versions (post 2003) have a new introduction by TP.

Snuff Waterstones Gold Edition contained short story ‘a colligate casting out of devilish devices.’

Good omens 25th anniversary new introduction and material: ‘Terry Pratchett on Neil Gaiman,’ ‘Neil Gaiman on Terry Pratchett,’ ‘Writing Good Omens.’ In post 2006 reprints.

The United States edition of Good Omens by Morrowind/Transworld had numerous alterations to the text. The most significant alteration to the main text is the addition of an extra 700-word section just before the end, dealing with what happened to the character of Warlock, the American diplomat's son, who was swapped with Adam. The American edition also adds numerous footnotes not found in British editions.

The Long Earth ‘metallic’ edition contained the short story ‘the high meggas.’

The Long War Waterstones edition contains an interview with the authors

'Stan Berg in the Wilderness' described as an "extra chapter" in the Waterstones exclusive edition of the Long Utopia.

Dodger: 'the Wisdom of Solomon Cohen,' from the Waterstones special edition and ‘Old Comrades’ in the WHSmith edition described as an extra chapter. Postcards in Tesco edition and 'Map of Dodgers London' in ASDA first edition.

'Humphrey Newts Thunderbolt Carriage,' story in Raising Steam WHSmith edition

‘The worlde is not a dysk’ booklet in The Science of Discworld IV: Judgement Day hardcover also reprinted as extra chapter in the Tesco edition paperback.

I Shall Wear Midnight print in Waterstones edition and folklore treatise by Jaqueline Simpson in I Shall Wear Midnight Collector’s Edition and print.

‘Doing As You Would Bee Done By’ in The Shepherd’s Crown Slipcase Edition, notes on folklore by Jaqueline Simpson in The Shepherd’s Crown Gold Edition

Watch Warrant Card and Postcard insert from Thud!

Football Cards insert from Unseen Academicals.

Going Postal insert envelope with stamps including limited edition 'first day cover' stamp.

Dragons at crumbling castle, new intro, extra stories and commentary in slipcase edition.

The Witches Vacuum Cleaner, new intro, extra stories and commentary in slipcase edition.
Last edited by Jagra on Wed Jul 06, 2016 07:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jagra

Re: Books with extra content

Postby Molokov » Fri May 27, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm not certain if these qualify, but I received the following 'bonus' items when buying some books at Dymocks in Australia:
- Nation: A pen with a moving ship on a wave (as you tilt the pen)
- Unseen Academicals: Football cards (as you mentioned above)
- Making Money: Ankh-Morpork cheque book (I think I opted to not get this, it may have cost a little extra)
- The Shepherd's Crown - keyring with the release date on it.
Nullus Anxietas VI - The Discworld Grand Tour - The Australian Discworld Convention
4th-6th August 2017
The Lakes Resort Hotel, West Lakes, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Sat May 28, 2016 02:10 pm

The cheque book was free here issued by Waterstones.
Also there was extra artwork in the paperback version of the Last Hero not present in the hardcover one.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Jagra » Sat May 28, 2016 02:35 pm

Thanks those are great ones, I can't believe I left out The Last Hero I have that big copy as well.
Jagra

Postby Jagra » Fri Jun 03, 2016 03:57 pm

A new one from The Shepherds Crown: 'The Witches of Discworld bonus content' by Jacqueline Simpson. Only available in the ebook version. There may also be some other bonus content in other ebook versions but I only own the hard copies.
Jagra

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Jun 03, 2016 06:27 pm

Also from The Shepherds Crown: bonus content by Jacqueline Simpson in the gold slipcase edition "Folklore of the Discworld" in the book.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby DavidAHarvey » Mon Jun 13, 2016 06:43 am

Molokov wrote: - Making Money: Ankh-Morpork cheque book

Our copy from, if I recall correctly, Borders, had a packet of bank notes secreted inside. Perhaps that was just because we were in Jersey :wink:
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Jagra » Wed Jul 06, 2016 07:55 pm

Finally found the info on the Long Earth series each one had/has a 'metallic' first edition with extra content, sold at Waterstones in the UK.
The Long Earth: short story 'The High Meggas.'
The Long War: interview with the authors.
The Long Mars: extra epilogue.
The Long Utopia: extra chapter.
The Long Cosmos: extra chapter.

If anyone's got deep pockets these are signed on discworld.com, where I at last confirmed their existence. I'm cheap so I'll see if they ever appear on ebay.
Jagra

Return to The Reading Room