Discworld

The day from hell!

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

The day from hell!

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 02, 2016 01:00 pm

I have just been through the worst 24 hours of my life - at least since the age of about six

Yesterday I packed my bag to come up to Hatfield - fortunately for only one night

Julia drove me to Terminal 5, to get the tube to King's Cross

Settled in my seat, went to my bag to find ... NO BOOK!

For the first time since I could make my own choices about what to read, I had left the house without a book! (Yes, I even had one in my suit jacket pocket at my wedding)

I am still traumatised, and when I get home tonight will stick TWO in my bag for next week, just in case

Anyone else ever suffer such horror?
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Re: The day from hell!

Postby Darren » Fri Sep 02, 2016 02:11 pm

This is where Kindle (et al) apps on smartphones and tablets come in.

Nowhere near as a good as reading a proper book, but an acceptable alternative in an emergency...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby phalarope » Fri Sep 02, 2016 08:48 pm

Eeek, Chris, that's horrible! I don't recall being completely without reading material, but have run out on multiple occasions, often on airline flights (I read fast). What annoys me most is being in situations, often time-wasting meetings where I have nothing to contribute or learn, where reading something would be considered inappropriate behavior.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Sat Sep 03, 2016 02:03 pm

Phalarope could you surreptitiously slip a headphone plug in one ear and listen to an audio book. :wink: :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby chrisboote » Sun Sep 04, 2016 05:06 am

phalarope wrote: time-wasting meetings where I have nothing to contribute or learn,

When my rate hit £36/hour I used to go into those sort of meetings and say 'penny ... penny ... penny' so they knew just how much money they were wasting by having me there
They stopped inviting me
If I get the new contract I'm going for, I'll be able to say 'tuppence ... tuppence ... tuppence'
Of course, with the current trend for twelve year-old managers, they won't know what tuppence means :(
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Catch-up » Sat Nov 19, 2016 01:54 pm

chrisboote wrote:
phalarope wrote: time-wasting meetings where I have nothing to contribute or learn,

When my rate hit £36/hour I used to go into those sort of meetings and say 'penny ... penny ... penny' so they knew just how much money they were wasting by having me there
They stopped inviting me
If I get the new contract I'm going for, I'll be able to say 'tuppence ... tuppence ... tuppence'
Of course, with the current trend for twelve year-old managers, they won't know what tuppence means :(

OMG! :lol: I love that Chris! I'm going to share that story with hubby.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby steeljam » Tue Nov 22, 2016 03:44 pm

chrisboote wrote:I have just been through the worst 24 hours of my life - at least since the age of about six
Yesterday I packed my bag to come up to Hatfield - fortunately for only one night
Julia drove me to Terminal 5, to get the tube to King's Cross
Settled in my seat, went to my bag to find ... NO BOOK!
For the first time since I could make my own choices about what to read, I had left the house without a book! (Yes, I even had one in my suit jacket pocket at my wedding)
I am still traumatised, and when I get home tonight will stick TWO in my bag for next week, just in case
Anyone else ever suffer such horror?
They probably did as there is a word for it :D
ALOGOTRANSIPHOBIA – the fear of being caught on public transport without a book to read.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Return to The Reading Room