Discworld

Got Another One!

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Got Another One!

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon Oct 30, 2017 07:41 am

Oook!

I can't find a thread where we boast about infecting others with the Pratchett Bug, so I'm starting a new one*.

Back in the '90s I convinced a visiting cousin to read Reaper Man. She wasn't in the country for long, but she finished it before she left, and borrowed some other books during other visits (some of which she later replaced when she couldn't find them to return).

About a decade later a different cousin, and her husband, fell into my clutches & I spent the next couple of years happily lending them book after book (and, miraculously, getting them back again!)

Now my roommate, aka Spikey, has been firmly bitten. She'd already read Going Postal two years ago, since we had the wondrous good fortune to have it translated to Hebrew**, and she'd seen all the movies & cartoons with me - but it was only last week that I finally got her to start on any other books. So, Tuesday she started Wee Free Men (in her native Hebrew), and yesterday she was was closed to finishing Wintersmith (in English, the way the Gods intended it to be read).

Sorry about going into such detail, but I just had to share with folks who would understand the sheet smug joy of my accomplishment :mrgreen:

* I'm sure there already is one, but I can't find it
** she helps me with the Bay of E sales of my spare stamps, so it was nice for her to find out where it all began
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Re: Got Another One!

Postby phalarope » Tue Oct 31, 2017 02:00 am

Since I'm in the midst of Good Omens on audiobook, here's a little congratulatory YouTube. :D :lol: :thumbl:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Oct 31, 2017 07:42 pm

Oook! :thumbr: :thumbr: :twisted: :thumbl: :thumbl:
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby phazedout » Tue Nov 28, 2017 09:17 pm

I was xhatting with my niece (32) about her daugher (10 in mid december0 about her birthmas present(s) she said the clothing I had bought last year (pennys/primark) was lovely or... books, like those david eddings ones she has been reading.
Guess who's getting wee free men and hat full of sky as a rpesent
I may hace typed ",wuhahahahahhah" at my niece
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby phalarope » Tue Dec 12, 2017 01:01 am

A new comprehensive reference work, "The Biology of Oysters", by Brian Bayne, PhD, OBE. It's a toe-smasher! :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Return to The Reading Room