Discworld

Beachcomber and Rincewind

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Beachcomber and Rincewind

Postby steeljam » Wed May 06, 2020 11:59 am

Slowly working my way through my stack of To-Be-Read books. The latest is Beachcomber, The Works of J B Morton. Quite funny in a quirky sort of way; very Spike Milligan.
In on section, The Case of Juliette Milton, one of the characters is Churm Rincewind, a red-haired dwarf, one of twelve.
However, the DW theme does not stop there. I quote
"I would like to take the opportunity of denying the statement made by a dwarf of the name Churm Rincewind to the effect that he put his arm round my waist. All that happened was this. Mr Rincewind put a small ladder against me while I was reading a letter. He mounted the ladder and kissed the tip of my right ear. Thinking he was crazy I pushed him away, and he fell from the ladder and hurt his wrist."
So Rincewind morphs into Giamo Casanunda.
There are 12 red-bearded dwarves in the story: Sophus Barkayo-Tong, Amaninter Axling, Farjole Merrybody, Guttergorm Guttergormpton, Badly Oron-parscr, Chutm Rincewind, Cleveland Zackhouse, Molonay Tubildetborst, Edelcdel Edel, Scorpion de Rooftrouser, Listenis Youghaupt, and Frums Gillygottb
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Re: Beachcomber and Rincewind

Postby phalarope » Wed May 06, 2020 02:30 pm

Scorpion de Rooftrouser. :lol: :lol: :lol: [spews tea onto computer screen] Oh my sainted aunt. I'll have to look into these.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby DavidAHarvey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:16 pm

There's also a delightful radio adaptation performed by Richard Ingrams, John Sessions, Joan Sims and June Whitfield, of which there are currently a few episodes on the iplayer.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00f6j ... des/player
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby phalarope » Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:25 pm

Something else came out when I looked this up on Amazon. :shock:

Beachcomber: The Works of J.B.Morton by J.B. Morton (1974-10-28)
Jan 1, 1823
4.2 out of 5 stars 11
Hardcover
$920.99 :shock: :shock:
$3.95 shipping
Only 1 left in stock - order soon.
More Buying Choices
$72.29 (14 used & new offers) :shock: :shock:
Paperback
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby DavidAHarvey » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:56 am

steeljam wrote:Slowly working my way through my stack of To-Be-Read books. The latest is Beachcomber, The Works of J B Morton. Quite funny in a quirky sort of way; very Spike Milligan.

According to http://beachcomber.weebly.com/ Spike was a big fan of Beachcomber
The late, great Spike Milligan said: "As schoolboys, my brother and I - both Irish, by the way - worshipped Beachcomber ... and used to paste his paragraphs in a book, and that led to the birth of the Goon Show."

phalarope wrote:$920.99 :shock: :shock:

Eeek! indeed. I think I'll wait for the paperback to turn up in a charity shop
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby 20thcenturymarc » Thu Jul 02, 2020 08:01 am

I interviewed David Langford for the book I've done on Terry, here's his memory of the first time they met, at a convention in 1985:

“Ah,” I said, fresh from reading The Colour of Magic. “Churm Rincewind – one of the twelve red-bearded dwarfs!” “You bastard,” said Terry
20thcenturymarc

Return to The Reading Room