Discworld

Book Help II

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Book Help II

Postby Pat » Wed Jun 28, 2006 08:11 am

Just when you thought it was safe to come back to the forum...

This times it's literary...

In a library no one can hear you scream...
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:22 am

Are ARCs for reviews?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:39 pm

ARC's are for putting 2 of every animal on when some bearded bloke floods the world, I thought everyone knew that :wink:

Or was it some girl called Joan that had something to do with it, I can never remember :D
Daggers!!
Ginger people don't actually taste of ginger :shock:
I tripped on an escalator once and fell downstairs for an hour and a half
UU Shirt no.7
Bickaxe

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:42 pm

Here I thought they were for holding covenants. :roll:
Catch-up

Postby Bonsai » Wed Jun 28, 2006 02:14 pm

Catch-up wrote:Are ARCs for reviews?
Partly but also to check for spelling gramma etc.
Bonsai

Postby Pat » Wed Jun 28, 2006 04:27 pm

Bonsai wrote:
You'd think in these days of electronic copy submission that be the time bound proofs were being made, all that would have been sorted - but it doesn't seem to work that way!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Worbleook » Wed Jun 28, 2006 04:29 pm

It may be useful to test the work of the printers too
What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
GNU Terry Pratchett
Worbleook

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 28, 2006 04:49 pm

Not to mention giving people profits on eBay, Abe and elsewhere... :evil:
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Jun 28, 2006 05:44 pm

Bonsai wrote:

It didn't seem to make a lot of difference with Thud! I have a Harper Collins ARC with numerous errors in and I have the UK hardback version with the same errors in. :(
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Wed Jun 28, 2006 07:13 pm

Lisa found loads and loads of errors in the US version too. It's a shame.
Catch-up

Book Help II

Postby swreader » Sat Jul 01, 2006 02:20 am

In theory ARCs are sent out 1) to reviewers, 2) to stores and supposedly all errors have been caught because the author has seen galleys (which are unbound) before the ARCs. The purpose then is to get good publicity for the author & the book from reviewers, and to have stores push the book in what's called "hand-selling" because someone in the store has already read it. They are not supposed to be sold or traded--but that's not the way it really works.

I personally am convinced that they run the galleys through a spell checker so that if it's a word (not the right one, and not the one the author wrote) it appears anyhow. Eg. in the American Thud!, when Lady Sybil turns to her husband after the dwarf has been obliterated by the swamp dragons, the description says her iron mast dropped for a minute. The English version, says mask which clearly is the word meant.

But Nancy Turner told me the other day that she went over her galleys with a fine tooth comb, caught typos, etc. and that when the ARCs came out, there were typos that weren't in the galleys. Who knows what's going on?
"...the start and finish [of witchcraft] is helpin' people when life is on the edge. Even people you don't like. Stars is easy, people is hard. " Granny Weatherwax in Hat Full of Sky
swreader

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Jul 01, 2006 08:26 am

It certainly does seem in some ways worse these days. It's not just books either - magazines and newspapers have some awful mistakes in them.

Some people say that it's not important, but speaking personally, I find when I am reading a book, a mistake like the one Charlene quoted is distracting to the literary flow. That one is really obvious and any editor should have picked it up easily.

Does anyone know the stages that a book goes through from the time the publisher receives the manuscript to the time it appears in the book shops? :?
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby Pat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 01:51 pm

Scientific journals seem to have a tighter quality-control process. The page-proofs we get are actual page images, down to page numbers and even the last few lines of the previous article in some journals.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Sat Jul 01, 2006 01:53 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Does anyone know the stages that a book goes through from the time the publisher receives the manuscript to the time it appears in the book shops? :?
I would suspect there are as many sets of steps as there are publishers & printers!
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pusha-da-Quil » Mon Sep 25, 2006 06:42 am

Tonyblack wrote:It certainly does seem in some ways worse these days. It's not just books either - magazines and newspapers have some awful mistakes in them.
Some people say that it's not important, but speaking personally, I find when I am reading a book, a mistake like the one Charlene quoted is distracting to the literary flow. That one is really obvious and any editor should have picked it up easily.
Does anyone know the stages that a book goes through from the time the publisher receives the manuscript to the time it appears in the book shops? :?

My recent experience might be of interest.

Having accepted the MS, my publisher first sent the first 24 pages as a Style Proof, which showed proposed layout, font, size etc. I had to approve and sign as being happy.
Then we changed the cover a couple of times. :?
Then the whole thing arrived typeset. I had chosen to take responsibility for the proof check myself. June and I spent three days solid - reading, checking etc. I then returned only pages with an alteration.
These were returned corrected for me to check one more time.
Only then did I 'sign off' for the printers.

So, Typo's, spelling mistakes whatever, are June's fault. :wink:
Pusha-da-Quil

Next

Return to The Reading Room