Discworld

Book Help II

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: Book Help II

Postby DavidAHarvey » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:01 am

Thank you. :D
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby rentawitch » Fri Sep 30, 2011 03:59 pm

I thought Moonfleet had something happening at Osborne House on the Isle of Wight. Something about a well... Probably 45 - 48 years since I read that!
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby chrisboote » Tue Oct 04, 2011 08:01 am

There is, indeed, something important that happens in a well 8-)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Ros Day » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:14 am

The well which plays a part in Moonfleet is at Carisbrooke Castle (also on the Isle of Wight). Well worth a visit if you are in the area. The donkey treadmill used to raise the water is still working (they have several donkeys, none of whom have to work very hard and who enjoy the attention from tourists).
Ros Day

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 31, 2011 08:23 pm

Does anyone here have a UK proof of Nightwatch? It occurs to me that I've never seen one (I have a US proof) and I remember Bernard moaning that he hadn't got one either and had to borrow mine.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:51 am

According to Colin Smythe's site only the American proofs were printed, and not many of them.

http://www.colinsmythe.co.uk/discworldpages/dwindex.htm
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Pat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:42 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:According to Colin Smythe's site only the American proofs were printed, and not many of them.

Silly me, I should have thought to check there! I wonder why they didn't issue one. That's something to ask Colin at the next Con!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby SANEAlex » Tue Nov 01, 2011 01:28 pm

Pat wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:According to Colin Smythe's site only the American proofs were printed, and not many of them.

Silly me, I should have thought to check there! I wonder why they didn't issue one. That's something to ask Colin at the next Con!

I think that must be a mistake on Colins web site as i have a proof of Night Watch that was printed at a place near Chippenham and i am fairly sure its authentic as i got from the charity auction at the 2002 Convention and it had Pterrys sig, Colins sig,Robs sig and the sig of most of the real world people who pTerry had turned into part time fictional characters at the time.
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Pat » Tue Nov 01, 2011 04:41 pm

SANEAlex wrote:
Pat wrote:

I think that must be a mistake on Colins web site as i have a proof of Night Watch that was printed at a place near Chippenham and i am fairly sure its authentic as i got from the charity auction at the 2002 Convention and it had Pterrys sig, Colins sig,Robs sig and the sig of most of the real world people who pTerry had turned into part time fictional characters at the time.
If it was printed at Chippenham, it's unlikely to be a US proof (which is what I have). One way to be sure is the publisher: if it's Harper-Collins, it's US, if it's Doubleday or Gollancz it's UK.(This only works for adult Discworld novels, the YA stuff and Science of Discworld are different.)
Pat
Monitor

Postby SANEAlex » Tue Nov 01, 2011 05:02 pm

Its a Double Day one
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Sandra » Tue Nov 01, 2011 08:07 pm

'Cause I got one of them (with lots od scribbling in it)
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby SANEAlex » Tue Nov 01, 2011 08:19 pm

Sandra wrote:'Cause I got one of them (with lots od scribbling in it)

I think mine has a comment from you about mushrooms tho not the fun kind. :wink: :twisted:
SANEAlex

Postby chrisboote » Wed Nov 02, 2011 08:30 am

I've got a Doubleday UK Proof as well
It was in the DWCon auction
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:13 pm

Oh well, better keep my eye on the usual sources!
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Wed Nov 09, 2011 05:38 pm

I have pointed out to Mr Smythe the gap on his website!
Pat
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Room