Discworld

Book Help II

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: Book Help II

Postby chrisboote » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:48 am

D'oh! Yes, see what you mean

I haven't looked for the Stephen King interview yet
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Thu Sep 28, 2017 02:27 pm

OK, got another one then

Waugh's A Handful of Dust takes its title from a line in Eliot's The Waste Land, which takes its title from a section of Jessie Weston's From Ritual to Romance about the death of the Fisher King, which itself takes its title from a phrase used in Frazer's The Golden Bough, which takes its title from Turner's same-named painting, which (finally) is a painting of an incident in The Aeneid
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 09:28 am

chrisboote wrote:OK, got another one then

Waugh's A Handful of Dust takes its title from a line in Eliot's The Waste Land, which takes its title from a section of Jessie Weston's From Ritual to Romance about the death of the Fisher King, which itself takes its title from a phrase used in Frazer's The Golden Bough, which takes its title from Turner's same-named painting, which (finally) is a painting of an incident in The Aeneid

But The Waste Land is not a book (i.e. you have never been able to buy a volume called "The Waste Land") and neither From Ritual To Romance nor the Golden Bough are novels. I am specifically after works of fiction, published in their own right. If anyone I know can do this, it's you, but I'm going to be as picky on the rules as you are in your quizzes ;-)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:09 am

Pat wrote:But The Waste Land is not a book (i.e. you have never been able to buy a volume called "The Waste Land")

Ahem
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Waste-La ... 1450522890
and neither From Ritual To Romance nor the Golden Bough are novels. I am specifically after works of fiction, published in their own right.

Well, Golden Bough is as factual as anything by von Daniken, for example...
But you're definitely right on Jessie Weston. Jacqueline gave me strict orders never to talk to her about Arthurian legend until I'd read it :D
If anyone I know can do this, it's you, but I'm going to be as picky on the rules as you are in your quizzes ;-)

OK OK, back to the bookshelf...
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:22 am

Pat wrote:I'm going to be as picky on the rules as you are in your quizzes ;-)

And I'm never picky, just precise

I suppose despite it being one of the best selling, if not the best selling, works of fiction ever, you'll be telling me the Bible doesn't count as a novel?
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Fri Sep 29, 2017 03:20 pm

chrisboote wrote:I suppose despite it being one of the best selling, if not the best selling, works of fiction ever, you'll be telling me the Bible doesn't count as a novel?

For purposes of this challenge, books can be divided into factual, non-factual (author known) and non-factual (author unknown). The last is a small group, but as it contains religious texts, it's an important one for the purpose of supplying titles. Factual books are not acceptable as I think they "devalue" the challenge. For example, almost any book with a one word title can be found in a decent dictionary!

In a perfect world, I'd like a statement from the author (not in person, in print is OK) that the title was chosen from the other book, thus eliminating accidental matches.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 29, 2017 04:15 pm

Well, obviously I'd already discarded starting with "it" or "them" or similar, and also assumed you meant unique titles/quotes
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Mon Oct 16, 2017 09:39 am

I might have one

Faulkner's "The Light In August" (1931) uses a phrase* I've only ever encountered in another Faulkner work, "The Sound and Fury"**, which itself is a quote from Macbeth (Life's but a ... tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing)

* To be "Light in August" means pregnant in both books

** Do NOT attempt to read this without the aid of some reading notes - the first quarter of the book is impossibly complicated due to the protagonist voice being that of a mentally sub normal child with no concept of linearity or chronology
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:23 am

chrisboote wrote:I might have one

Faulkner's "The Light In August" (1931) uses a phrase* I've only ever encountered in another Faulkner work, "The Sound and Fury"**, which itself is a quote from Macbeth (Life's but a ... tale, told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing)

** Do NOT attempt to read this without the aid of some reading notes - the first quarter of the book is impossibly complicated due to the protagonist voice being that of a mentally sub normal child with no concept of linearity or chronology

That's good and may well be the best we'll get! I've seen sources which say "Light in August" is slang in the southern US for pregnancy - heaven knows why...
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:19 pm

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:I might have one

That's good and may well be the best we'll get! I've seen sources which say "Light in August" is slang in the southern US for pregnancy - heaven knows why...

In The Sound and Fury the full phrase was "heavy in December, light in August", implying drunken sex at Christmas (and an execrable inability to count to nine)
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Mon Nov 13, 2017 08:32 am

I have another I discovered at the weekend

Jane Austen was persuaded to retitle "First Impressions" as "Pride and Prejudice" (1813), using a phrase directly from Fanny Burney's book "Cecelia" (1782)

"Cecelia" was taken from the name of the protagonist of Burney's suppressed play "The Witlings" (1779)

Burney is a serial re-user though, she first used the phrase "the witlings" (repeatedly) in her 1768-78 diaries
chrisboote

Previous

Return to The Reading Room