Discworld

Book Help II

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Postby chrisboote » Mon Sep 28, 2009 08:43 am

That's why I said Latation :lol:
The Greek is something like (from fading 30 year old memory)
E tan e epi tas
Which I seem to recall is related the origin of the word epitaph? Words on it?
Maybe not. My Greek is akin to Churchill's
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Re: Book Help II

Postby CaptainPixie » Fri Oct 23, 2009 09:27 pm

see me being dyslexic, I don't actually noticed type-o's and such because my mind filter's them out, if the word doesn't make sense it puts in the word that SHOULD make sense, it does it without me thinking about it because it's the way I learned to read. My brains just wired that way so it usually takes me a few re-reads to even start catching these thing's!

I dunno, it's just not something that's ever really bothered me much :)
Regarding D&D anyone who quotes Holy Grail during a session should be made to eat their own character sheet
CaptainPixie

Location: Where Evil Can Be Whacked With A Spoon and Made To Clear Up It's Own Mess!

Postby Vena Ravenhaired » Sat Nov 14, 2009 01:01 pm

I become very angry when I happen across typos in books, they really spoil my enjoyment.

Proof reading seems to have become a lost art nowadays, as does the substitution of words which sound the same but have different meanings, such as shear instead of sheer, discrete instead of discreet, defuse instead of diffuse, and so on ad nauseam.

My pet hate is when newsreaders and writers use the words 'decimate' and 'myriad' inappropriately.

Cheers, Vena
I wish I was a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum, How can you be unhappy when the sun shines out yer bum?
Vena Ravenhaired

Postby chrisboote » Sun Nov 15, 2009 06:12 am

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:I become very angry when I happen across typos in books, they really spoil my enjoyment.

Proof reading seems to have become a lost art nowadays, as does the substitution of words which sound the same but have different meanings, such as shear instead of sheer, discrete instead of discreet, defuse instead of diffuse, and so on ad nauseam.

My pet hate is when newsreaders and writers use the words 'decimate' and 'myriad' inappropriately.

Cheers, Vena

What she said
If there was a 'thumbs' or a 'Like' function here I'd be jabbing at it about now 8-)
chrisboote

Postby Sandra » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:39 am

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:I become very angry when I happen across typos in books, they really spoil my enjoyment.

Cheers, Vena

Part of my job is to proof read scientific writing - not only am I expected to check the facts are correct but then check the text down to and including the number of spaces used!

And I'm not paid that much so why don't publishers bother - especially considering the number of authors who are dyslexic (in reality rather than by appearances of their work)

Gets annoying when I realise a book isn't holding my attention as I've started proof reading it :(
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Mithith Beathty » Thu Dec 03, 2009 09:02 am

I also detest bad grammar in books (unless it is in keeping with the way a character would speak)
Mithith Beathty

Postby steeljam » Sun Dec 06, 2009 03:35 pm

Vena Ravenhaired wrote:My pet hate is when newsreaders and writers use the words 'decimate' and 'myriad' inappropriately.
Cheers, Vena

In the same vein I am getting very annoyed, and so is my wife, with adverts that claim "Everybody is talking about ..."
In the majority of cases I have not even heard of the person I have apparently been talking about.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 06, 2009 05:52 pm

Yes, but now you're talking about them, aren't you? ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Sandra » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:25 am

Darren wrote:Yes, but now you're talking about them, aren't you? ;)

No - he's talking about the ad (he's already forgotten the name of the person 'everyone's' talking about :wink: )
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby chrisboote » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:35 am

I don't even know the advert that 'everyone' here's talking about
When adverts come on (in my maybe 5 hours of tv watching per week) I read the digital text news, or change channel, or just mute it and read a book
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 17, 2009 02:20 pm

chrisboote wrote:I don't even know the advert that 'everyone' here's talking about
When adverts come on (in my maybe 5 hours of tv watching per week) I read the digital text news, or change channel, or just mute it and read a book

Presumably a very short book...

The vast majority of TV I watch has been recorded and my recorder puts (with reasonable accuracy) "chapter marks" at the start and end of each ad breaks, so when the ads come on, I click "Next" and never see them.

Which is, of course, why I never know when a new series is coming on!

Or what a "Go Go Hamster" is.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby rentawitch » Fri Dec 18, 2009 04:51 pm

digressing slightly...
(the ads comment make me think of it)
Jason says to me one day Have you heard of the ' Super Aqua Steam Power Mop Deluxe'? (or something like that)
Nope says I. Why?

Cos they are all the rage in the UK and Europe according to the infomercial I just watched on TV says J..
Guess what... Never heard of the SASPMD!

Jason seemed surprised that they lied.
:D
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby steveastrouk » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:17 pm

Pat wrote:Or what a "Go Go Hamster" is.

...one of these, perchance ? (NSFW)
http://www.realhamster.com/
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby keith_art » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:25 am

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:I don't even know the advert that 'everyone' here's talking about

Have you noticed how long the ad breaks are getting [inc. the sponsor's rubbish + endless trailers for future programming, ad nauseam]. Perhaps I might try reading 'War and Peace' one evening :wink:
...and a hard boiled egg!

*meus vita est irretitus inter keyboard quod screen*
keith_art

Postby steeljam » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:40 am

keith_art wrote:
Pat wrote:

Have you noticed how long the ad breaks are getting [inc. the sponsor's rubbish + endless trailers for future programming, ad nauseam]. Perhaps I might try reading 'War and Peace' one evening :wink:
That is an interesting point. Do sponsor links count towards the allowed advertising limit per hour?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Room