Discworld

Book Help II

For literary discussions, of both Pratchett and other authors.

Re: Book Help II

Postby araby » Wed Mar 03, 2010 03:57 pm

Now that product placement is allowed on British TV, prepare for adverts DURING the programme- or entire programmes becoming elongated adverts! :x

I was watching a film on commercial TV the other day which had it's first ad break 7 MINUTES in!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle too.
araby

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 03, 2010 04:10 pm

Well for soap operas, it's the whole thing going full-circle given their origins.

And as for ad breaks, if I remember correctly in the USA they tend to have a short one straight after the opening credits (which I always found odd when watching US TV).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby araby » Wed Mar 10, 2010 05:04 pm

Darren wrote:Well for soap operas, it's the whole thing going full-circle given their origins.

And as for ad breaks, if I remember correctly in the USA they tend to have a short one straight after the opening credits (which I always found odd when watching US TV).

AND before the closing scene! (as well as in the middle of the progamme). Watching TV in the States is a real ordeal for me, and not just because of the low standard of the mainstream programmimg.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle too.
araby

Postby phalarope » Thu Mar 11, 2010 02:12 pm

That's why I have satellite and watch BBC America. I haven't watched American broadcast TV with any regularity since MASH left the air in the 80s. It's mostly crap, and the commercials are deadly. Mate convinced me to watch the Super Bowl this year, although neither of us follow American football anymore, because the commercials have a rep for being particularly creative. Sorry... in 2010 they were crap, too. Fortunately, the GAME was surprisingly good; they are usually terribly one-sided and boring.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby rentawitch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 09:36 am

Been down so long it looks like up to me.

I am looking for an audio book version of this. Preferably downloadable ie MP3 or similar rather than CD.

I can't find any reference, can anyone suggest where I can check definitively if it has ever been issued as an audio book?
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:07 am

This sis the book by Richard Farina, right? :?

I haven't been able to find an audio version of it I'm afraid.
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby rentawitch » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:42 am

yes it is Tony.

Well i couldn't find one authorised or not and if you can't I reluctantly conclude noone every made one.
I might volunteer to read it for Librivox. How can you check to see if public domain? Do you know?
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

rentawitch

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:49 am

I was wondering why this name was ringing bells with me. Did you know he was married to Mimi Baez, Joan Baez's younger sister, who was a folk singer in her own right?

There's a website dedicated to Richard and Mimi and their works. Can I suggest that you try on there and see if any of the folks there have more information?

Richard only died in 1966 and Mimi 2001 - I suspect it might be a bit early for his work to be in the Public Domain unless either of them actually put it there.

Good luck! :D
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:16 am

After speed reading 5 books yesterday I am appealing to you, dear friends...........

I am looking for a passage where Vimes says something along the line of "You know what I always say", addressed to Carrot, or possibly Fred Colon. Carrot (or Fred) replies with a quote; Vimes says no; another quote is offered, etc. etc.

Any suggestions?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Basement » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:04 pm

Sounds like one of the later ones; perhaps Fifth Elephant or Thud (don't think it's Nightwatch)
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 01, 2010 01:04 pm

Pratchett, in Jingo wrote:“Vimes stood up. ‘You know what I always say,’ he said.
Carrot removed his helmet and polished it with his sleeve. ‘Yes, sir. “Everyone’s guilty of something, especially the ones that aren’t,” sir.’
‘No, not that one…’
‘Er… “Always take into consideration the fact that you might be dead wrong,” sir?’
‘No, nor that one either.’
‘Er… “How come Nobby ever got a job as a watchman?”, sir? You say that a lot.’
‘No! I meant “Always act stupid,” Carrot.’
‘Ah, right, sir. From now on I shall remember that you always said that, sir.’”

That one? Or possibly:

Pratchett, in Feet of Clay wrote: ‘What is it I’m always telling you?’
‘Er… er… Never trust anybody, sir?’
‘No, not that.’
‘Er… er… Everybody’s guilty of something, sir?’
‘Not that, either.’
‘Er… er… Just because someone’s a member of an ethnic minority doesn’t mean they’re not a nasty small-minded little jerk, sir?’
‘N– When did I say that?’
‘Last week, sir. After we’d had that visit from the Campaign for Equal Heights, sir.’
‘Well, not that. I mean… I’m pretty sure I’m always saying something else that’s very relevant here. Something pithy about police work.’
‘Can’t remember anything right now, sir.’
‘Well, I’ll damn well make up something and start saying it a lot from now on.’
‘Jolly good, sir.’
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby rentawitch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 01:14 pm

araby wrote:Now that product placement is allowed on British TV, prepare for adverts DURING the programme- or entire programmes becoming elongated adverts! :x

I was watching a film on commercial TV the other day which had it's first ad break 7 MINUTES in!

Long live the BBC :)
(and buying box sets or borrowing them from the library after )

rentawitch

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 01, 2010 01:50 pm

THANK YOU DARREN!!! The Feet of Clay one's were what I was thinking of (must have gone over that 5 times and missed it every time :? ), but had forgotten about the ones from Jingo. Showers of virtual chocolate and my eternal gratitude :D
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 01, 2010 03:00 pm

Happy to be of service - although I must admit it was just a google search of "vimes you know what I always say" and then picking the relevant one out (this one as it turned out, at the very bottom of the page).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 01, 2010 05:15 pm

Well.... your Google search worked better than mine - and I looked at 2 pages worth :?
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to The Reading Room