Discworld

Dr Who

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Dr Who

Postby Pat » Thu Jul 06, 2017 01:19 pm

I'm somewhat surprised no one has mentioned the Dr Who season finale.

Was it really that bland?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Re: Dr Who

Postby Darren » Thu Jul 06, 2017 08:14 pm

Yes. The whole season was...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Tue Jul 11, 2017 02:28 pm

Darren wrote:Yes. The whole season was...

It had its moments - but they hid them well, and far apart.

Not taken by Nardole or the new companion what ever her name was. Thinking back - is this the first time the Doctor and the all the companions have both been replaced at the same time?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Tue Jul 11, 2017 03:16 pm

Few and far between - even Capaldi (very much a Who fan in his youth) was said to be bored with playing the role. And couldn't agree more with the comment about both Bill and Nardole, didn't like either of them at all.

The grumpy doctors never work (Colin Baker was enough evidence of that for anyone), and especially coming after the "wacky chaotic" ones of Matt Smith and David Tennant it'll be good to get a nice clean sweep of all the leads plus the showrunner and main writer as well...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jul 15, 2017 07:52 pm

The new 13th Doctor Who is going to be revealed straight after the men's Wimbledon final tomorrow afternoon!! :D :bounce: :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Sun Jul 16, 2017 03:31 pm

They just did it - Jodie Whittaker

Details, details
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jul 16, 2017 06:05 pm

Darren wrote:They just did it - Jodie Whittaker

Details, details
I've never seen Broadchurch - is she any good?

There's lots of unhappy bods (the most polite term I can muster for some of them) on the forums expressing their annoyance at the choice of a female Doctor - a lot of them whining along the lines of it's political correctness gone mad. Personally, I don't mind a female Doctor, but just wish that they'd chosen Michelle Gomez as the 13th Doctor instead of casting her as Missy. She was great as Missy, don't get me wrong, but they definitely missed a trick there
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:37 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:There's lots of unhappy bods (the most polite term I can muster for some of them) on the forums expressing their annoyance at the choice of a female Doctor

I think they left it too late. If the 3rd or 4th Doctor had been femaile, we'd have accepted that Time Lords can change gender when they regenerate. But as it is, we had something like 15 regenerations depicted (?10 for The Doctor, 3 for The Master, several for Romana, 2 for River Song) with gender being preserved. Add to that the 8 pre-Hartnell regenerations shown in The Brain of Morbius and to have so many non-gender swap regenrations would imply it's a fixed thing - just as he always regenerates as a humanoid. But now it feels like it's being done as a statement, not driven by the narrative. And since then, we've had the Time Lord who regenerated in the War Doctor episode, the Master and hints at the Doctor himself.

I'll keep watching - it's still Dr Who after all! - and if the acting is good and the stories improve that'll be great.

But I'd have been happier in terms of internal consistency it Jodie Whittaker were playing a different Time Lord who inherits the TARDIS from Dr 12, rather than actually being Dr 13. That would also mean we don't have to count regenerations any more...
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 01:53 pm

Pat wrote:But now it feels like it's being done as a statement, not driven by the narrative. And since then, we've had the Time Lord who regenerated in the War Doctor episode, the Master and hints at the Doctor himself.
I completely agree with you on that. I did think it worked very well in the narrative to have the Master regenerate as Missy (even if this was a test run for having a female Time Lord lead), but to have a female Doctor straight after just feels like a massive shoehorn for the sake of it. Besides, I was hoping for Idris Elba (probably too expensive these days, sadly) or Kris Marshall

Pat wrote:I'll keep watching - it's still Dr Who after all! - and if the acting is good and the stories improve that'll be great.
I hope that the storyline/writing is really VERY good for the next season, otherwise the choice of a female Doctor will get the blame.

Pat wrote:But I'd have been happier in terms of internal consistency it Jodie Whittaker were playing a different Time Lord who inherits the TARDIS from Dr 12, rather than actually being Dr 13. That would also mean we don't have to count regenerations any more...
Good points, well made. Where are we up to with the regenerations anyway? I get confused with where the War Doctor comes in to the regeneration timeline and does the Doctor have a new limit now or can he(she) just keep regenerating indefinitely?
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 02:15 pm

Except of course the Master's current regeneration as Missy was rather a foundation-laying of things to come...

Not to mention the concept was in the original series too. If you read the scripts/book version of Shada (the unfilmed Douglas Adams one), one of the featured timelords there (The Corsair) was explicitly said to have swapped genders several times.

Officially she'll be the 13th Doctor, although aside from the 8 ones already mentioned there was a line in one of the episodes saying that one regeneration kept the same face/body, so who knows... He was gifted more regenerations anyway in one of the late Smith stories iirc, to get around all such canon nonsense (or as a way not to kill off things anyway).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby steeljam » Mon Jul 17, 2017 02:16 pm

Pat wrote:But I'd have been happier in terms of internal consistency it Jodie Whittaker were playing a different Time Lord who inherits the TARDIS from Dr 12, rather than actually being Dr 13. That would also mean we don't have to count regenerations any more...
There is still the Doctor's Daughter out there waiting for an appearance.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 02:20 pm

steeljam wrote:
There is still the Doctor's Daughter out there waiting for an appearance.

I wasn't think of that sort of inheritance but if Joide Whittaker is actually playing The Doctor's Daughter (after a regeneration to explain the changed face) that would fit.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 03:31 pm

Darren wrote:Officially she'll be the 13th Doctor, although aside from the 8 ones already mentioned there was a line in one of the episodes saying that one regeneration kept the same face/body, so who knows... He was gifted more regenerations anyway in one of the late Smith stories iirc, to get around all such canon nonsense (or as a way not to kill off things anyway).

This is where I get confused - according to this official pic below, there were 12 Doctors before Capaldi, including the War Doctor, so why is Capaldi classed as the 12th and not the 13th Doctor?

What have I missed in the storyline that means that the War Doctor isn't counted? He can't be classed as a future regeneration, as he's the Doctor of the Time Lord/Darleks war isn't he? So he must be in the chronological regeneration timeline of the current Doctor, yes/no?

And what about Doctor/Donna? She merged in some sort of kinky way with David Tennant's Doctor - IIRC, even though he stayed the same when he regenerated, part of him ended up in Donna . . .

Am confused! :?

Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 03:44 pm

Exactly - That's why Smith had the gifted regenerations, as Capaldi should have been the 13th (and Dr Who should only have 12 before the Valliard appeared, at least according to the canon).

But it's BBC sci-fi, so it isn't supposed to be self-consistent or make sense...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 03:56 pm

Darren wrote:Exactly - That's why Smith had the gifted regenerations, as Capaldi should have been the 13th (and Dr Who should only have 12 before the Valliard appeared, at least according to the canon).
Wait . . . what? Who or what is the Valliard?
Grace Speaker

Next

Return to Moving Pictures