Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:45 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:
chrisboote wrote:
Frank the Younger wrote:I must admit I have always wondered how you can measure time with a distance measurement

Well, it is a length of time ...

No it is not it is a distance measurement

I think this is a pune or play on words. It's a "length" of time, like saying "a mile of time"...

However; in popular culture, where the young kids hangout, the explanation is that Solo's excellent piloting skills allowed him to take short cuts (though asteroid fields etc) which other pilots dare not take, so he did the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs whereas a lesser pilot would have had to go further to get to the same destination.

But really George Lucas didn't know what a parsec was. I suppose this is the opposite of all those cases when "light year" is used as a period of time!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 07:22 pm

Pat wrote: I suppose this is the opposite of all those cases when "light year" is used as a period of time!

What cases?
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 02:25 pm

Just seen the episode of Will & Grace where Karen has to deal with Rosario dying - didn't know whether to laugh or shed a tear, so did both. Won't be the same without the Karen/Rosario screaming matches :(
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 am

The Post - as good as you'd expect with Hanks & Streep. Probably more gripping if you had a direct interest in Vietnam, the cover up, Watergate, Nixon etc.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 07:41 pm

Saw The Dark Tower last night - it was actually OK. It would have been better if the baddie was anyone other than that Matthew McConnawossname fella. Can't stand him, he's such a smarmy bugger and tends to slur so badly it's often difficult to make out what the hell he's on about. Plus he also has a nose that's shaped a bit like a penis, which is very off-putting. Thankfully his character snuffed it.

Also saw something completely incomprehensible called The Lobster - weird, doesn't even begin to describe it. If you're in to dystopian film noir that's gone down a very dark rabbit hole indeed, you might like it. I gave up about an hour in and switched over to Mock The Week on Dave.
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm really enjoying the latest season of the X-Files :D tonight's episode felt like old times, with the exception that this time Mulder and Scully are definitely doing the "X" part . . . :wink:
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures