Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby Pat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 02:45 pm

Frank the Younger wrote:
chrisboote wrote:
Frank the Younger wrote:I must admit I have always wondered how you can measure time with a distance measurement

Well, it is a length of time ...

No it is not it is a distance measurement

I think this is a pune or play on words. It's a "length" of time, like saying "a mile of time"...

However; in popular culture, where the young kids hangout, the explanation is that Solo's excellent piloting skills allowed him to take short cuts (though asteroid fields etc) which other pilots dare not take, so he did the Kessel run in under 12 parsecs whereas a lesser pilot would have had to go further to get to the same destination.

But really George Lucas didn't know what a parsec was. I suppose this is the opposite of all those cases when "light year" is used as a period of time!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Frank the Younger » Wed Feb 07, 2018 07:22 pm

Pat wrote: I suppose this is the opposite of all those cases when "light year" is used as a period of time!

What cases?
Grandad III Frank The Younger :-)
Frank the Younger

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Feb 10, 2018 02:25 pm

Just seen the episode of Will & Grace where Karen has to deal with Rosario dying - didn't know whether to laugh or shed a tear, so did both. Won't be the same without the Karen/Rosario screaming matches :(
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:24 am

The Post - as good as you'd expect with Hanks & Streep. Probably more gripping if you had a direct interest in Vietnam, the cover up, Watergate, Nixon etc.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 07:41 pm

Saw The Dark Tower last night - it was actually OK. It would have been better if the baddie was anyone other than that Matthew McConnawossname fella. Can't stand him, he's such a smarmy bugger and tends to slur so badly it's often difficult to make out what the hell he's on about. Plus he also has a nose that's shaped a bit like a penis, which is very off-putting. Thankfully his character snuffed it.

Also saw something completely incomprehensible called The Lobster - weird, doesn't even begin to describe it. If you're in to dystopian film noir that's gone down a very dark rabbit hole indeed, you might like it. I gave up about an hour in and switched over to Mock The Week on Dave.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 pm

I'm really enjoying the latest season of the X-Files :D tonight's episode felt like old times, with the exception that this time Mulder and Scully are definitely doing the "X" part . . . :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:33 pm

Just watched this week's episode of the X-Files and have a question:

WTF was that about?!?!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 04:30 pm

Am at home recovering from having something ghastly done to me in hospital on Monday, so watching a lot of TV/films while prostrate and just got round to seeing Thor: Ragnarok and ----ing LOVED IT!!!

A gloriously, joyously, funny film and brilliant dialog and characters throughout. Great comic turn from Karl Urban with a cockney accent (which he was surprisingly good at), whose pride and joy are two automatic weapons that he got on Midgard, from a place called 'Tex-arse' :lol: , and loved the relationship between Thor and Hulk/Banner. For once I didn't even mind Stan Lee's obligatory but usually irritating cameo. As a vegan, I did struggle a bit with how good Idris Elba looked in leather but came to the conclusion that the simple solution would be to take the leather off... :wink:
And you can stuff Wonder Woman - Cate Blanchett as Hela and Tessa Thompson as a Valkyrie are how you do great female villains and superheroes!

Best Marvel film in years :D Am off to watch it again
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Fri Mar 02, 2018 09:17 am

I just discovered "Person Of Interest" and binge watched a season and a half. It reminds me a lot of The Equaliser (apart from The Machine, of course). Is it worth sticking with?
Pat
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:41 pm

Pat wrote:I just discovered "Person Of Interest" and binge watched a season and a half. It reminds me a lot of The Equaliser (apart from The Machine, of course). Is it worth sticking with?
It got interesting at times.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 03:12 pm

Just watched the feature-long episode of the brand new season of Marvel's Agents of Shield - was surprisingly good even with the sinister members of the Blue Man Group getting up to some sadistic shenanigans, and had quite a Phillip K Dick feel to it, which is always a good thing in my view. Looking forward to the next one.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Mon Mar 05, 2018 03:22 pm

First 2 episodes of Stranger Things. Oooo that is good! And the kids are excellent
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Mar 05, 2018 03:42 pm

Basement wrote:First 2 episodes of Stranger Things. Oooo that is good! And the kids are excellent
I haven't seen any of these & really feel I'm missing out - I really need to get round to getting Netflix!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby DavidAHarvey » Thu Mar 29, 2018 01:06 am

Frank the Younger wrote:
Pat wrote: I suppose this is the opposite of all those cases when "light year" is used as a period of time!

What cases?

There's a few examples here http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... tConfusion
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby steeljam » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:01 am

Saw Ready Player One last night.
Not bad. As a stand-alone film it is very entertaining. However, it is not as good as the book; much of the story had been changed or lost.
The majority of the historical references in the book were missing and replaced by fleeting iconic images from Sci-Fi and Fantasy films.
The film would have been better broken into two or three episodes, one per key, as Jackson did with Lord of the Rings.
Considering the solution to the final puzzle there was no Easter-egg feature during the final titles so no need to stay to the bitter end.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures