Discworld

The Watch

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: The Watch

Postby steeljam » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:23 pm

Another review. Mainly positive. However, Juliette Harrisson misses many inconsistencies while justifying others.
OK Cheery is to quote the review
"Cheery/Cheri clearly identifies as female – Cheery in the show appears to be a transgender woman, as the first episode has them clearly state a preference for feminine pronouns, but the show’s publicity states that Cheery is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns".
But she/he is a dwarf and height doesn't appear to be a consideration.
"Pratchett’s Discworld is a bit dominated by white male characters, so it’s not surprising that a couple of characters have been gender-flipped".
Haven't done a full review of the books but colour isn't something mentioned in the books as far as the human population is concerned. Colour of the other species is usually commented on, as is gender.
https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/the-watch- ... d-changes/
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steveastrouk » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:34 pm

denofgeek wrote:"Pratchett’s Discworld is a bit dominated by white male characters, so it’s not surprising that a couple of characters have been gender-flipped".
Haven't done a full review of the books but colour isn't something mentioned in the books as far as the human population is concerned. Colour of the other species is usually commented on, as is gender.

Bollocks.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby steeljam » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:04 am

steveastrouk wrote:
denofgeek wrote:"Pratchett’s Discworld is a bit dominated by white male characters, so it’s not surprising that a couple of characters have been gender-flipped".

Bollocks.
I hope that isn't about my comment.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby AgnesNitt » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:21 am

I don't think it was your comment, I read it as referring to "Pratchett’s Discworld is a bit dominated by white male characters"
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby steveastrouk » Sun Jan 03, 2021 12:22 am

steeljam wrote:
steveastrouk wrote:

Bollocks.
I hope that isn't about my comment.

!!!
NO !
Of course not, that's why I specifcally associate it with "Denofgeek" !
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby Addengos » Sun Jan 03, 2021 05:23 pm

That article state the have change cheery from a dwarf to a human.
The first episode is online. I thought I would give it a try so started to watch, got to 1:30 and could not watch any further :x :cry: :cry: :x
Addengos

Postby Addengos » Mon Jan 04, 2021 07:20 pm

So episode 2 is also out and as the title of the episode is "Ook" my curiosity was peaked as to how they would do the Librarian and they Wizards.
All I can say is there is a saying "Curiosity Killed the cat" and NOOOOOOOOOOo!!!!!!!!!!!!! how could they the b£$%^*ds :x :x
Addengos

Postby AgnesNitt » Mon Jan 04, 2021 08:10 pm

That's ominous
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby Gaspode » Mon Feb 01, 2021 03:55 pm

Well boys n girls (or should be Trolls n Dwarfs) :)

I've watched up to episode 6 and its starting to get silly.

Wont post too many spoilers but here goes.

When it comes to the Disc Im as guilty as anyone, hell I'd watch paint dry if Bernard sold tickets..

Episode 1... If this was trying to give a fleshing out of the main characters, it didn't do too well. Vimes I can put up with, Lady Ramkin is actually not bad, Cheery NO NO NO NO and she/it/them/potato is the wrong height and it spoils the Carrot joke they labour over..Death oh sorry DEATH, Ha (kill me now please) Ok got that out of the way.

Seeing this is like, well taking a couple of pages out of each book and throwing them in the air and theres your script.

Sod this...

So its disjointed, Summon dragon but to get it back needs stuff. Not a magic book and other stuff but a talking sword (think nicking the Gonne for this setup) A helmet (think the summoning dark for this) and well the whistle Sybil gives to Vimes is the 3rd bit. (but we are only just at this point in ep 6. So bad jokes. Carrot = Dwarf= 6 foot tall etc (same as the story however / Cherry being s Dwarf and the same height really screws the joke. Next we have imps who paint moving pictures that can be downloaded onto some tablet thing. Made by orange (TM).
Episode 6 they go into a mine and Cherry knows all about the summoning dark, BUT CARROT DONT...
Oh yes DEATH, He has a Southern States American accent,
Did like the reading room bit in the UU and in fact I think Terry might have missed a good plot here

Lets just say that...

If you come at this either never having ever heard of Terry or the Discworld, it might work as a quasi Fantasy/Gothic/Distopian world far removed from our own, populated by the dregs of society and Trolls, Dwarves, Wizzards (who are almost non existent) etc. It wort of works. (something like Brighton on a saturday evening)

Its not going to win any awards believe me. The acting is OK ish (a couple of the cast are trying) very trying :) The script, well I reckon the whole thing could of been half the length so far.

And it looks like they used the same locations as Blade Runner but without the rain.

Im going to watch the Watch till the bitter end and then rewatch it.

Oh and for fun the credit picture splashed everywhere shows quick clearly

THE WATCH HOUSE

but the HE TCH HOUE are lighter than the rest (thanks to Rachel for pointing this out before)

Not sure who its aimed at but its not what I would have expected (its got us talking anyway)
Gaspode

Postby AgnesNitt » Tue Feb 02, 2021 09:16 pm

If you want a laugh, I recommend the reviews on IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8080292/re ... _=tt_ov_rt :lol:
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby chrisboote » Wed Feb 03, 2021 04:56 pm

When the highest praise any of the reviewers, professional or otherwise, can laud is "The Watch isn’t outright terrible", you know just how bad this is...
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Darren » Thu Feb 11, 2021 05:14 pm

Had an hour to spare last night, so thought I'd give episode 1 a go.

I think I lasted just under 8 minutes before turning it off...

Even trying to ignore the Pratchett angle and just take it as drama, it was dire. Almost all of the acting seemed on a par with a school drama production, with the notable exception of the "patrician", and even she seemed to be a reject from Demolition Man. Lines just read as if from a script, with little emotion or understanding, nor any kind of empathy with who or what the characters were supposed to be.

And whilst the set looked quite expensive, it couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to be medieval or cyberpunk and seemed to be trying for both at once. Very much a wannabe Blade Runner, but without any of the grit or honest grubby realism about it.

That's of course not even to mention all the middle-finger-up to Pratchett and the original media. Why include the lines about dwarves and such when the characters portrayed clearly aren't, and the actors haven't been let in on the "joke" even? And as for Death, obviously someone liked Star Wars, as he's an oversized Jawa. Or someone thought some chickenwire, a couple of flashlights and some gauze would make a suitable character (and I'm not even going to go into the abomination of the voice).

Ended up watching the making of series 2 of the Mandalorian (and thoroughly enjoyed it), so at least not a waste of an evening other than those few minutes of my life.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Gaspode » Tue Feb 16, 2021 07:58 pm

Oh dear Oh dear. Where are the dried frog pills when you want them?
Oh must be next to my jaw, which has just dropped after watching the final episode of the first series. I hope beyond hope that there is not another.

They only went and used the 'Errol' plot device from Guards Guards and completely cocked it up. And when I say completely believe me. Good boy slowing flapping his little wings up to the dragons eye, making silly 70's dance moves (even I didn't dance that bad in the late 70's, and then they both disappear. Time is rewritten and Worse becomes the baddie. Sam and Sybil are getting it on, when she says 'if you are still there when I get back I will know you are mine' A good line, but the Auditors (they don't call them that) magic him away to their reality. Dum Dum DUMB.

Well that in my slightly off centre opinion, is now that.

I was sort of enjoying this, yes the acting was wooden, the plot had more holes than one of them wossinames, you know begins with a S. I even laughed at a couple of the jokes. Sybil I quite liked, Sam was well, too Nobby for me (not in looks but general mannerisms) DEATH, well just wrong. The City was as Ive already said, a slightly not so drug fuelled version of Blade Runner (no rain, better lighting) although if it had all happened at night it may have been better for the atmosphere. (actually thinking on this, it may have been an old set from the Dark Tower movie.)

But sorry. Not anymore. I now have all 7a episodes here (they even had the nerve to call ep 7a, well you know that squiggle wot looks like a 2x4).

The final nail was the ending, the nerve of it, leave me on a knife edge and tease that there will be more.... I'm not falling for that old polished turd... well not again :)

Oh and to think a little known Author once said to me ' Barrie the things you get up to make me think CMOT has come to life, but not in a good way'
You'd think he was talking about this programme.
I'd hate to be associated with the CMOT in this series.

So all good here nothing to see, move along please..............
Gaspode

Postby steeljam » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:10 pm

BBCS strikes deals as global broadcasters tune in to ‘The Watch’
Interestingly, the BBC haven't sold it to the UK yet :?
steeljam
Monitor

Postby AgnesNitt » Mon Feb 22, 2021 07:55 pm

I wonder what it's criteria is for a “successful debut in the US, "

It has low ratings and terrible reviews on Rotten Tomato's and IMDB, it's not being talked about on social media except for a few people following those involved, and I would think that if it had high viewing figures both of those would be different?
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures