Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby Pat » Sun Aug 13, 2017 04:44 pm

The Corridor People

I ordered some DVDs of 60s/70s TV - stuff I liked as a kid or saw part of but missed the conclusion - Tarot, Children of the Stones, The Stone Tape and so on. Amazon, ever helpful, recommended a few more and so I got "The Corridor people" described as "cult fantasy".

I don't know how to describe it. Dazzling sets, detailed costumes, intricate plot lines, believable characters who develop over the series, convincing dialog - The Corridor People has none of these. It stems from the days before colour TV and, apparently, acting.

But it's strangely fascinating. The final episode (mercifully there were only four) ends up with three characters each explaining directly to camera what had transpired. No "So you mean Bronson was a double agent all the time?" Avengers-style Steed/King interactive exposition. Just look into the camera a read a plot summary.

Must be due a reboot...
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby phalarope » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Amazon must be delighted you freed up that chunk of warehouse space for them....
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby AgnesNitt » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:35 pm

I have Children of the Stones for much the same reason... I think my favourite part was the freeze frame at the end of each episode, for which they clearly didn't have the technology and you can see the children can't hold still very well :lol:
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby steeljam » Wed Aug 16, 2017 08:33 pm

Went to see Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets with Frank the Younger.
It is written and directed by Luc Besson of Fifth Element fame so I was expecting it to be odd. However, the source is a set of graphic novels by illustrator Jean-Claude Mézières.
Odd it certainly was. The two main characters Dane DeHaan as Major Valerian and Cara Delevingne as Sargent Laureline were good but for me too young. I would have put them as just finishing their A-levels and were waiting for Uni.
The city, in the title, started out as the ISS but grew as alien species arrived and added their craft to the station. In the end, it became too large and was pushed out into space.
The main alien species look too much like the Na'vi from Pandora.
Lots of plot holes.
Visually, the film is excellent although I am glad I didn't watch it in 3D*. Rihanna as Bubble is superb. I also enjoyed Ethan Hawke as Jolly the Pimp.
Turns out it is the most expensive French film, knocking Asterix at the Olympic Games into second place.

* I have found action movies don't work well in 3D.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pat » Sun Aug 20, 2017 05:04 pm

Baby Driver. A bit meh. I get the impression that Wright heard the Simon & Garfunkel track and thought "I could make a film about a driver called Baby! And the plot is - well, I'll sort that out later."
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Aug 29, 2017 05:35 pm

Oook!

The 1990's Mummy movie was on TV today. I just saw the very end of the credits - they put an upside-down Summoning Dark at the very end!
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Pat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 07:43 pm

Thanks to planes I have seen:

Tom Cruise remake of The Mummy 2/5.
Alien: Covenant 2/5.
Timecode. A subtitled short Spanish film about security guards in a carpark. 47/5. Probably cost 15 euro to make. I don't think you can (legally) see it online anywhere yet. http://www.timecodeshortfilm.com/ Recommended if you can track it down - thought I suspect it's a Marmite film. And from the description I should have hated it. But I didn't.
First series of People of Earth. Silly scifi comedy. 4/5.
Pat
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Mon Oct 09, 2017 08:42 pm

Blade Runner 2047
There were many times when I wanted to shout "Get on with it!"
Lots of loud music getting very messianic with organ music during the fight scene.
There was not enough interaction with smaller characters; very insular.
Lots of things happened that I still don't understand.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pat » Tue Oct 10, 2017 04:48 pm

steeljam wrote:Lots of things happened that I still don't understand.

So - true to the original, then?
Pat
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Tue Oct 10, 2017 06:30 pm

Pat wrote:
steeljam wrote:Lots of things happened that I still don't understand.

So - true to the original, then?
Not really.
PKD had a method to his presentation. THe writers of the sequel just muddled the script in an attempt to mimic PKD.
The original film had natural sounds from the environment being shown. The sequel just had loud music.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Oct 20, 2017 07:34 pm

Blade Runner 2049 I saw that earlier today, yes it did drag a couple of times and the music could have done with the volume down a bit, but overall I enjoyed it just debating if I should go back and see it in the Imax cinema but take ear plugs this time. :mrgreen: did you see the earlier version two years ago Steve. :wink:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:56 pm

Having successfully evaded any spoilers for the last week, I finally saw Blade Runner 2049 today and loved it. :D :D :D

I saw it on one of those Xtreme Screen things at Vue, where the screen is huge and the sounds seems to come up through your chair and vibrates your bum, so I loved the loud music and over-emphasised sound affects :wink: :D

For me, the Vangelis score in the original Blade Runner was so iconic that I was really worried that they might bugger up the music in BR2049 which would spoil the whole thing for me, but I found myself really liking it. I also loved the beautifully shot cinematography of the slow bits and the attention to detail that must have gone into the sets, especially the repeated emphasis on tracking the transient raindrops and snowflakes - metaphor for the transience of the Replicants perhaps? Or maybe clever mind tricks of the director, mimicking what the Memory doctor said about real memories being centred on the small things and the rest is blurry?

I thought it was a very intelligent script, that kept to PKD's recurring themes of warping reality perception and the difficulty of knowing what/who is 'real/human' or 'unreal/replicant' and played with the audience's uncertainty right up to the end. The reference to PKD's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, when Gaff gives an origami sheep to K, was a really nice touch.

And by Io, or possibly Odin, Jared Leto gives a quite chilling performance as the corporate psychopath in chief.

On first viewing, the only thing I didn't like in BR2049 was the Director's obsession with lingering shots of women's nipples - the lingering shots of the poor 'new-born' naked Replicant was arguably necessary, but the same lingering shots on the nipples of the 100 foot naked women statues in Vagas, followed by yet more lingering shots of the nipples of the 50 foot naked hologram of Joi (even if the latter were a strange shade of purple) were repetitive and felt unnecessary prurient. Maybe nipples had a deeper meaning to the plot that I just didn't pick up on?

I definitely want to go back for a second viewing, after I've gone back and watched the original again - or whichever version of the original I've currently got on DVD
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Mon Oct 23, 2017 08:15 am

The nipples are a jarring explicit point that replicants are NOT human - their nipples serve no purpose (except possibly in pleasure models) as they can never have children, so their addition to the replicants during creation are another cruel reminder that they are made, and have a limited lifespan, and that they are apart from humanity
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:10 am

Blade Runner 2049. Very pretty, very colourful in some scenes, deliberately colourless in others, bland and rich textures as required - but TOO LOUD! Didn't like the ending and the whole bit about the identity of the hidden child being who it was just didn't work for me. Apart from anything else, it pops the whole plot balloon of how important the child is!
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:03 pm

chrisboote wrote:The nipples are a jarring explicit point that replicants are NOT human - their nipples serve no purpose (except possibly in pleasure models) as they can never have children, so their addition to the replicants during creation are another cruel reminder that they are made, and have a limited lifespan, and that they are apart from humanity
you're on to something there, although I think the nipple obsession may have the opposite meaning - a hint that Replicants can replicate?
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures