Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:34 pm

Pat wrote:Blade Runner 2049. Very pretty, very colourful in some scenes, deliberately colourless in others, bland and rich textures as required - but TOO LOUD! Didn't like the ending and the whole bit about the identity of the hidden child being who it was just didn't work for me. Apart from anything else, it pops the whole plot balloon of how important the child is!
Am I the only one who loved the loudness? It can't all be down to the bass sounds coming up through the chair and vibrating my bum, surely? :wink:

Does the ending really pop the balloon of how important the child is, though? For instance, if she's the child of either one or two Replicants (there's still the question over Deckard) then surely she can't have a compromised immune system, meaning the glass bubble thing is just a protective camouflage? She is also the main source of memories for the majority of Wallace's Replicants - so what other memories has she been implanting in, possibly millions, of Replicants for the last 10+ years? The knowledge of how to Replicate, for instance?

Also, we know that Rachel was a Replicant but managed to replicate with Deckard (even thought that was supposed to be impossible) but if both Rachel and Deckard are Replicants, then the Rebel Replicants might not need humans to replicate, but if Deckard is human and not a Replicant then the Rebel Replicants will need humans in order to replicate. And then there is the question of whether the replicated daughter of one, or possibly two, Replicants can also replicate the old fashioned way herself, resulting in 3rd gen replicants? So, is she an infertile hybrid, a fertile hybrid, or a fertile Replicant? If it's the latter, than she is potentially Eve to a new race of self-replicating Replicants . . . which Replicant will she choose to replicate with?

I hope Agent K survived his wounds,
as despite misgivings about the casting of Ryan Gosling, I found myself really liking his performance in this film.

As it's now bedtime, I shall Replicate off . . . :lol:

P.S. - do we need a separate Blade Runner 2049 thread where we can discuss with spoilers?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 pm

Thor: Ragnarok
Brilliant; totally tongue-in-cheek. Laughed throughout.
Loved the cameos and themed music.
The Led Zeppelin Immigrant Song was written for the movie!
Willy Wonker & the CF and more - just listen out.
Stan again was great.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:38 pm

Just caught up with last week's Peaky Blinders on catch-up - Alfie Solomons is back!!! :D :D :D
I love Peaky Blinders (and yes, I know some of the Brummie accents wander about a bit and I don't give a stuff, it's still one of the best things on the Tellybox!) and watching Tom Hardy's performance as Alfie is an unspeakable, ineffable joy :D Actually, watching Tom Hardy in Peaky Blinders, Taboo, or just about anything these days is a joyous experience. Oh Mr Hardy, I have a use for you . . . :wink: :lol:
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Mon Dec 11, 2017 03:29 pm

Hello, my name is phalarope and I am a Grand Tour-aholic. Season 2 opener was great fun, and I really enjoyed May's new look (frighteningly similar to John Thaw :shock: ), that Hammond is still alive and chirpy, and Jezza hasn't changed a bit. And they've gotten rid of the annoying American and revived the celebrity driving challenge. :thumbl:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 11, 2017 04:44 pm

phalarope wrote:Hello, my name is phalarope and I am a Grand Tour-aholic. Season 2 opener was great fun, and I really enjoyed May's new look (frighteningly similar to John Thaw :shock: ), that Hammond is still alive and chirpy, and Jezza hasn't changed a bit. And they've gotten rid of the annoying American and revived the celebrity driving challenge. :thumbl:
I don't have an Amazon TV sub, so I really miss seeing those 3 daft idiots and their latest daft capers, although I do have to admit to watching the occasional re-run on Dave/Dave-ja-vu :D

The re-booted Top Gear on BBC2 just isn't nearly as much fun.
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures