Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby chrisboote » Thu Sep 22, 2011 07:58 am

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night - absolutely amazing 9.5/10
2 hours, audience in utter silence, spelbound
Gary Oldman was SO much like Alec Guinness it was almost creepy at times, but that was an Oscar wining performance if ever I saw one
Photography, superb, Lighting, superb, Script - understated and reserved, superb
The director & editor had the guts to go for long establishing shots, no dialogue, setting up and destroying tensions, without resorting to action left right and centre - which made the few 'action' bits all the more shocking when they happened
The only thing stopping me giving it 10/10 is that Benedict Cumberbatch and Roger Lloyd-Pack were woefully underused as 'Smiley's 'help'
Their character's were cut away t almost nothing -BUT apparently the DVD is an extra 22 minutes long, a lot of it their interactions, so can't wait for that

Go see it, if you like thoughtful, well-crafted films; you won't regret it
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Fri Sep 23, 2011 08:02 am

Mission Impossible (TV version, Series 3 Episode 1) on DVD. It is the first episode of MI I ever saw, on Raidió Teilifís Éireannin about 1968. A nostalgiafest which shall continue when I break the cellophane on my boxed set of - The Time Tunnel!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Basement » Mon Sep 26, 2011 08:58 am

Tinker Tailor. Good film. Never saw the Alec Guiness series, nor have I read the book but did enjoy the film. Some very good acting all around and I was guessing until the very end who the mole was.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Endril » Wed Oct 05, 2011 06:02 am

Pina 3D - 3D documentary about Pina Bausch's work; she was a german choreographer. Nice movie :)
I don't want a happy ending, I want more story.
Endril

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 05, 2011 07:32 am

I've been watching Sapphire and Steel on YouTube. A real trip down memory lane there. :D
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby DavidAHarvey » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm

Although I'm not big on splatter, a really good suspense filled ghost/horror film is an occasional "pleasure". I really enjoyed The Orphanage.
So having listened to the wittertainment podcast, despite much anxiety that it would be too frightening/unpleasant, I screwed up my courage and went to see Kill List this afternoon.

Having seen this, much praised, film I would say that its not bad, (considerably better than the the stream of extruded horror product usually on offer), but nowhere near as good as the critics have suggested. Don't rush, it will be fine to wait for it to come on Film 4.

To avoid spoilers I will only say that despite some great ideas, acting, set pieces and lots of atmosphere, its lack of plot ultimately rendered it a deeply unsatisfying experience.
It could have been so much better :(
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby phazedout » Sat Oct 08, 2011 07:18 pm

green zone.
this looked like it would be a good movie, matt damon and Brendan Gleeson amongst others but, tbh it was crap.
I missed about 40 minutes of it but it didn't seem like I had missed much at all, my advice is... avoid.
Phaze
on the "awful awful thingy and a large waste of time" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby rentawitch » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:03 am

its very frustrating when you pay for the cinema and see something dire.

It wasn't that bad but Tron the revisit or whatever it was called caught me out last Christmas. If it hadnt been for the Narnia film before I would have felt totally cheated.

I am cross at the mo because Red State - the Kevin Smith horror-suspense film was only on at 9.10 in the evening. 20 miles away. :( Now I shall have to watch at home on a much smaller screen. At least I can have it as video on demand from itunes or somewhere like that. I want Kev to have my bucks for this one. I truly love his work and respect him as an entertainer.
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Postby DavidAHarvey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:37 pm

M'Lady and I saw Troll Hunter at the Prince Charles Cinema (Home of the Kevin Smith Cubicle).
We thought that Troll Hunter was great and in places very, very funny.
I'll certainly never think the same way about power lines in mountainous areas again.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby phazedout » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:34 am

Castle, lots and lots of castle, in the past 24 hours i've watched like, 6 episodes, two of them twice with the commentary on.
I'm loving it, but I like me some nathan fillion, plus molly quinn (who plays Alexis, his Daughter) is just adorable.
Phaze
on the "I am enthused about this show, I love it and am happily enthused to watch all this stuff" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby DavidAHarvey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 04:28 pm

Centurion - good fun and for a Romans vs Picts film far better than King Arthur, at least Scotland looked like Scotland in this one.
Although it probably would have better with a little more plot and a little less preoccupation with hack, hack, slash, slash, spurt, spurt etc.
DavidAHarvey

Postby ladyramkin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 02:30 pm

One Man, Two Guvnors at the Adelphi. Laughed myself sick. Have to agree with Chris Boote, you will never see a funnier play.Just hope they are filming it, as they sometimes do with National productions. James Corden's interaction with the audience was hilarious (and I've never been a fan of his before) but the whole cast was amazing. See it if you can!
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
ladyramkin

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 17, 2011 07:10 pm

Watched a few movies recently... Way of the Warrior - awesome! Season of the Witch - not bad, better than what I was expecting. X-Men First Class - much better than I was expecting! Really enjoyed it. Captain America - ok, a bit slow and felt more like a long flashback (for the Avengers movie) than a movie on it's own. We have Thor to watch next, not sure what to expect.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Catch-up

Postby phalarope » Thu Nov 17, 2011 07:54 pm

Moneyball - with a girlfriend who is a statistician . . . who didn't get it. :shock: At all. :roll: Fortunately it was HER choice of movie - I wanted to see Puss In Boots :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Dragonlady » Fri Nov 18, 2011 09:07 am

Catch-up wrote:We have Thor to watch next, not sure what to expect.

If you expect a huge viking type with a gorgeous smile, you won't be disappointed. :lol:
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures