Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:34 am

Got round to seeing Justice League the other night - a big "meh" from me. The whole thing is full of clichéd stereotypes: the neurotic Jewish boy, the young black man in a hoodie with authority and parental issues, a beautiful woman who is the only one in ridiculously skimpy clothing, a rich middle-aged white man convinced he's the only one who can save the world, another white man who thinks he owns the seas and yet another white man rising from the dead who turns out to be the one who can actually save the world from the horned Devil threatening to take over the world . . . now why does that sound so boringly familiar?
The characterisation was lazy and annoying, but not nearly as much as the rubbish script, which had little in the way of plot and just substituted far too many fight/CGI scenes

Thor - Ragnorak was orders of magnitude better.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Thu Apr 19, 2018 09:31 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Thor - Ragnorak was orders of magnitude better.

Plus better eye candy. Loki and Thor are rather attractive men!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Apr 19, 2018 09:45 am

Basement wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Thor - Ragnorak was orders of magnitude better.

Plus better eye candy. Loki and Thor are rather attractive men!
:lol: Good point, well made! :D :thumbl:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Mon Apr 23, 2018 05:53 am

A quiet place.

As my director friend put it "A B movie, but an incredibly compelling one".

Sort of in the scifi/horror/thriller crossover but go and see it, with a large crowd.
cannot say owt else without spoiling but I enjoyed it.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed May 02, 2018 09:26 pm

Hot Fuzz!! On the tellybox right now :D

Haven't seen it in a couple of years & had forgotten how funny it is :lol: Simon Pegg is just brilliant in this and loved Paul as well, but I wasn't all that fond of The World's End. Yarp!!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Wed May 23, 2018 09:36 am

Pulp Fiction was on last night; I think that I've only seen it all the way through once before so had forgotten LOTS of it. And so had forgotten quite how much it had influenced Terry in creating Pin and Tulip ("Who had a wallet with 'Not a nice person at all' on it?") :lol:
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue May 29, 2018 09:17 pm

Just seen Solo :D :D :D

Was VERY pleasantly surprised at how good it is - it's a great heist movie, with fantastic actions scenes, a good and suitably convoluted plot + believable characters . . . that just happens to be set a long time ago in a Galaxy far, far away . . . :wink:

It's way better than the trailer made it look (thank Om!) - go see it, you'll enjoy it
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Wed May 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Also just seen Solo with Frank the Younger at the Waterloo iMax.
As a story, it was very good; good action and nice introductions to the usual suspects.
The main problem was Hans Solo looked far older and more chiselled-chinned that the Hans Solo in the first SW film.
Did he get a face job between the two films?
I got the feeling that there is yet another film to come out of this one.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pat » Thu May 31, 2018 11:39 am

Solo.

It was all right. Not as good as the Rogue One (They should do a Star Wars/Red Dwarf cross over called Rouge One)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu May 31, 2018 12:16 pm

steeljam wrote:The main problem was Hans Solo looked far older and more chiselled-chinned that the Hans Solo in the first SW film.
Did he get a face job between the two films?
That was my beef with the film too! But I got told off for being picky :roll: The guy playing Han was OK, and I agree he doesn't look much like Harrison Ford, but my main problem with him is he just looks too old: he's supposed to be playing Han 10-15 years before the original Star Wars film was set, but he looks the same age that Harrison Ford was in Star Wars - i.e. mid-thirties.

. . . and another thing . . . isn't he a bit short to be a Stormtrooper? :wink:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 02, 2018 09:49 pm

Just caught up on the last couple of episodes of Humans (series 3) - and can't help thinking that the guy playing Anatole (leader of the terrorist green-eyed synths) would make the perfect PC Peter Grant, should TV land decide to make the Rivers of London books into a TV series :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby DavidAHarvey » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Young Frankenstein at the Garrick theatre. It was superb! The audience wide standing ovation was well deserved.
Even better I managed to get stalls tickets with a pretty good view for only £15 each :^)
Be warned that it closes on 25th August so if you want to go, and I'd highly recommend you do, you'll need to get your skates on.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby phalarope » Sat Aug 11, 2018 04:16 pm

Booked in to see matinees of The Mousetrap and The Play That Goes Wrong for my September visit. The Mousetrap because you have to. The Play That Goes Wrong because it sounds hilarious.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Pat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 01:36 pm

DavidAHarvey wrote:Young Frankenstein at the Garrick theatre. It was superb! The audience wide standing ovation was well deserved.
Even better I managed to get stalls tickets with a pretty good view for only £15 each :^)
Be warned that it closes on 25th August so if you want to go, and I'd highly recommend you do, you'll need to get your skates on.

It is many levels of fantastic. It's true to the film without being hamstrung by it.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Mon Aug 13, 2018 02:32 pm

Started watching (about half way through) Fritz Lang's Metropolis. This version features a lot of footage which was though to be lost but was recovered from a find in Buenos Aires! Not in the greatest condition but still amazing. Also has the (generally derided) 1984 Georgio Moroder cut and a history of the restoration of the lost footage.

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/metropoli ... 52384.html
Pat
Monitor

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures