Discworld

What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: What have you seen part II - the sequel *No SPOILERS please*

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 03:55 pm

Just got round to watching Avengers Infinity War and apart from Thanos being a bit of a crap baddie (how can you take a mildy mauve bloke with a chin like a testicle, who's into jewelled gauntlets seriously?), I thoroughly enjoyed it even though it was a bit confusing - which probably serves me right for not watching Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet, as don't understand why they turned up in an Avengers film. Loved Peter Dinklage doing his best Richard Burton impression and managing to out deep-voice Thor.

But everyone can't be dead though can they? I mean, thats hundreds of millions of $$$'s wiped out in future movie revenues in one petulant wave of a sparkly glove . . . and besides, Dr Strangebatch said there was 1 chance in 14 million and surely Thanos has got to have a voonerable spot somewhere?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 05, 2018 08:43 am

Oddly enough I saw it for the first time myself last week.

No they're not all dead, simply as there are upcoming confirmed movies with at least Spider-Man and Black Panther, both of whom got dusted at the end of IW.

I also watched Deadpool 2 for the first time last night (with Josh Brolin as Cable in it) and kept having Thanos flashbacks too. Not helped of course by Deadpool calling him Thanos at least once. Not overly impressed with the movie overall (nowhere near as good as the first one I thought), but the end bit with the time travelling and "correcting things" had some nice nods in it which made me laugh.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 10:53 am

Darren wrote:Oddly enough I saw it for the first time myself last week.

No they're not all dead, simply as there are upcoming confirmed movies with at least Spider-Man and Black Panther, both of whom got dusted at the end of IW.

I also watched Deadpool 2 for the first time last night (with Josh Brolin as Cable in it) and kept having Thanos flashbacks too. Not helped of course by Deadpool calling him Thanos at least once. Not overly impressed with the movie overall (nowhere near as good as the first one I thought), but the end bit with the time travelling and "correcting things" had some nice nods in it which made me laugh.
Oh good - I really like the Avengers movies as they're often a lot funnier and entertaining than the single character movies and it'll be interesting to see how they resolve the "They're all dead, Dave, everyone's dead Dave" paradox in the next one (it did say ominously in the credits that "Thanos will return"). But I'm going to have to watch Guardians 2 and then watch A:IW again, as it would be nice to understand what the hell is going on this time.

I haven't seen Deadpool 2 yet either, but really want to as loved the first one and will probably still enjoy 2 even if it isn't as good as the first
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:43 pm

GotG 2 is also a bit meh, at least in my opinion. Again lacking in the original spontaneous fun of the first one, and a few of the plot items were very contrived. Nice to see Kurt Russell up on screen again though.

I wouldn't say knowing what happened in it will help understand IW any better though, except the part about families and having to kill a member of them (father in Starlord's case).

But you get the fun of baby Groot...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Sep 05, 2018 01:23 pm

Darren wrote:GotG 2 is also a bit meh, at least in my opinion. Again lacking in the original spontaneous fun of the first one, and a few of the plot items were very contrived. Nice to see Kurt Russell up on screen again though.

I wouldn't say knowing what happened in it will help understand IW any better though, except the part about families and having to kill a member of them (father in Starlord's case).

But you get the fun of baby Groot...
That's a point - I'm going to have to go back and watch GotG 1 as well, as I can't remember what happened to the original Groot :roll: I really need to start paying more attention to the plots and characters of these movies as they're getting very incestuous these days! If the big blue bloke from Avatar turns up in the next Avengers movie I'm going to complain to the management! :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 28, 2018 04:45 pm

Have been poorly again over the last couple of days, so have just finished binge watching Killing Eve on the BBC iPlayer thingamajig. It is sooooooooo good - right till the end. Sandra Oh is brilliant (have been a fan of hers since Grey's Anatomy), but Jodie Comer, the woman who plays the assassin/homicidal psychopath Villanelle, is simply superb. I don't think I've seen her in anything before, but in this her performance is simply mesmerising and she gives a very convincing portrayal of a highly intelligent but very dangerous psychopath.

I liked The Bodyguard right up until the last episode, which was just plain silly in places. Killing Eve is brilliant from start to finish. I watched the first episode because I'd read a review in The Guardian so wanted to see what the fuss was about and was completely hooked. Thankfully the author of the book the series is based on is busy writing the 2nd novel, so I'm really hoping they're going to make another series.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Sun Sep 30, 2018 02:59 pm

Muppet Guys Talking.

For those of us of a certain age, quite simply magical.

http://muppetguystalking.com
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby phazedout » Thu Nov 01, 2018 09:02 pm

Been watchign a lot of flix of nt, not so many movies but recently...
Chilling Adventures of Sabrina - well this is defniteley not the pop bubblegum show that featured ont eh nikelodeon channel in the 90s. It's *super* dark with metnions of blood sacrifice, worshiping stan and it has our moist form going postal as the Dark Lord's high priest (aka richard Coyle) I'm enjoying it and I've only seen one really weak episode (5) out of the six I've watched.
Daredevil Season 3: i fear for the continuation of this show, with two of it's "defenders" partner shows (Luke Cage, Iron Fist) cancelled recently but I have to say Season 3 is excellent. Serious props to Vincent D'Onofrio for his portrayal of Wilson Fisk/Kingpin, it is superlative.
That's all for now, i'v erecently started a masters in linguistics so I don't have more than 2 hours a day for tv.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Watching Berlin Station at the mo - great cast, very sleek and stylish. Only on episode 2, but so far I'm really liking it. :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:50 am

Inside The Tower Of London - am finding this gently fascinating and addictive.
Especially loved that that the only time that The Ceremony of the Keys has been delayed in 700 years, was during the Blitz in WWII when the Guard room was bombed and the soldiers needed to put the fire out - that done, they still carried out the Ceremony as usual, bombs be damned. :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri Nov 09, 2018 09:12 pm

phazedout wrote:worshiping stan

Lee? Laurel?
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phazedout » Sat Nov 10, 2018 09:37 pm

Bohemien Rhapsody.
Loved it, utterly utterly loved it, the one sour note as i watched it wed evenign was Essi wasn't with me. I corrected that by going to see it again this afternoon with her.
Happy, happy Phaze
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Pat » Sun Nov 11, 2018 02:41 pm

phazedout wrote:Bohemien Rhapsody.
Loved it, utterly utterly loved it, the one sour note as i watched it wed evenign was Essi wasn't with me. I corrected that by going to see it again this afternoon with her.
Happy, happy Phaze

Seemed very poorly edited. Lots of liberties with events - inevitable, I suppose, but many seemed purposeless. Shame Sacha Baron-Cohen left - I think the guy playing Freddie looked more like Mick Jagger!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures