Discworld

Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jan 16, 2017 06:16 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
chrisboote wrote:Майкрофта?
:shock:
And I'm guessing фрейлина - which seems like it's a Russian version of Fraulein - is Maid of Honour? Matron of Honour? Bride's Mother?
Ooops, did I mis-translate Mycroft phonetically and inadvertently say something very rude? Who, or what, did I suggest could be maid of honour instead? :shock:

Not quite. Russian naming is very gender specific - Майкрофта is female :)
Although to be fair, as it ends in 'ft' (or 'vt') it's going to be a female name in Russian anyway :)

Of course, given "I'll be mother" "And there's our entire childhood in a nutshell" ... ;)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jan 16, 2017 06:22 pm

Grace Speaker wrote: it's the first time he's actually been aware of/cared about hurting Molly's feelings.

Not at all - the whole point of the Xmas interlude in series 2 was to show how he reacted when he accidentally upset her, and then he took a day off to give his time to her as a gift in series 3
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 06:31 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Not quite. Russian naming is very gender specific - Майкрофта is female :)
Although to be fair, as it ends in 'ft' (or 'vt') it's going to be a female name in Russian anyway :)

Of course, given "I'll be mother" "And there's our entire childhood in a nutshell" ... ;)
:lol: you have a point there - so maybe a Freudian slip on my part then :wink:

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote: it's the first time he's actually been aware of/cared about hurting Molly's feelings.

Not at all - the whole point of the Xmas interlude in series 2 was to show how he reacted when he accidentally upset her, and then he took a day off to give his time to her as a gift in series 3
It's been a while since I've watched it, but I thought that was Sherlock saying thank you for her part in helping him fake his suicide? . . . although now I come to think about it, I do remember him saying something along the lines of the her being the one person that Moriarty thought didn't matter at all, but was actually the person who mattered most. I'll have to watch it again to be sure . . . possibly from Season 1, Episode 1
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 06:35 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Don't remember Watson getting confused about the skull - I thought he did tell Sherlock the bones weren't a dogs, but a child's?

Watson said it was a child's skull. It wasn't. I accept that the anaomy of the developing skull it not in the knowledgebase of the Sherlock audience, but Watson should have known it and everyone can tell a childs tooth from an adult one, just from the size!

If Cumberbatch is going to sign up for a new series - I'd rather it was a new series of Cabin Pressure! C'mon Benedict, 6 half hour radio episodes? Much less commitment than a TV show! You could record your bit while you're in makeup for Dr Strange 2! (Who I still say is Mr Strange as he's a British surgeon)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jan 16, 2017 08:43 pm

Pat wrote:...Dr Strange 2! (Who I still say is Mr Strange as he's a British surgeon)

Perhaps he's also a Doctorum Adamus Cum Flabello Dulce?
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 09:08 pm

Pat wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Don't remember Watson getting confused about the skull - I thought he did tell Sherlock the bones weren't a dogs, but a child's?

Watson said it was a child's skull. It wasn't. I accept that the anaomy of the developing skull it not in the knowledgebase of the Sherlock audience, but Watson should have known it and everyone can tell a childs tooth from an adult one, just from the size!
Ah, erm . . . I have to admit to not noticing . . . :oops: **hangs head in shame**
Maybe it's an in-joke? Given that Eurus was Ophelia to Sherlock's Hamlet not so long ago, I wonder if the skull was Yorick? :wink: 'Alas, poor Victor! I knew him Watson . . . '
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby SANEAlex » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Pat wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:If Cumberbatch is going to sign up for a new series - I'd rather it was a new series of Cabin Pressure! C'mon Benedict, 6 half hour radio episodes? Much less commitment than a TV show! You could record your bit while you're in makeup for Dr Strange 2! (Who I still say is Mr Strange as he's a British surgeon)

For those who have not had the pleasure it is being repeated from series 1 of Radio 4 extra & online at the moment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00cb5k4

8 days left as I post

&Yes another series of Cabin Pressure would be nice
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures