Discworld

Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

Postby steeljam » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:44 am

I was expecting postings about the new series almost immediately.
I loved the way there were teasers about how Sherlock did the deed. I wonder how long this will continue in the series.
Has the 'real' explanation been given yet?

One snippet I noticed at the restaurant when Mary realises who Sherlock is. In reply to her statement "You died, you jumped off a roof" Sherlock answers "No"
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Re: Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

Postby Pat » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:05 pm

He could have been negating only the first half of the statement. I didn't like the final explanation. Some things riled me Watson wouldn't check the pulse at the wrist in anyone with a severe injury - he'd go for the neck.
If Mycroft had a team on one of Moriarty's goons and knew about him - why not teams on all the goons? Why not just lift Moriarty and ship him off to our Gitmo?
They blocked off an entire London street and no one noticed?
Why did the body need to look like Sherlock as it fell? Why not just use a dummy?

And PLEASE cut back on the graphics. How much footage did we need of the Tube system projected on to Benedict Cumbermap?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Thu Jan 02, 2014 01:42 pm

I agree with the last statement as it actually did not need to be there.
I had occasions when I thought Sherlock was loosing it. Failing to see the obvious.
He couldn't recognise who was getting on the train but it was the top rat!
In scenario 1 there was no need to break through the window. Molly could have opened it.
In scenario 2 there was no need for Molly to push the body out of the window. Sherlock could have stayed and laid down while the rest carried off the airbag.
I thought the reaction of the journalist at the end was a bit over the top.
Also why would an abandoned station and tunnel be so brightly lit? Having ridden in the drivers cab I know how dark it is between each station
Also, How did the MP trigger the bomb? There was no need for the special code and physical key.

I do like Mary. Great character.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Jan 02, 2014 03:22 pm

Having just watched it on the iPlayer, it seems to me that we don't know for sure what happened. There were a few theories put forward and even Sherlock seemed to say what happened - but then it seemed like parts of his explanation weren't true or maybe the whole thing was wrong.

I can live with that. :)
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby kizkiz » Fri Jan 03, 2014 09:07 pm

steeljam wrote:Also, How did the MP trigger the bomb? There was no need for the special code and physical key.

I figured the bomb was nuclear, as they always need keys and codes in films :lol:
kizkiz

Postby steeljam » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Having just watched it on the iPlayer, it seems to me that we don't know for sure what happened. There were a few theories put forward and even Sherlock seemed to say what happened - but then it seemed like parts of his explanation weren't true or maybe the whole thing was wrong.
I can live with that. :)
I'm assuming the 13 scenarios will be covered during this series.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:52 am

Do you think the series is suffering from Nepotism?
Martin Freeman's real life wife, Amanda Abbington, is playing John Watson's girlfriend.
Benedict Cumberbatch's parents, Timothy Carlton Cumberbatch and Wanda Ventham, are playing Sherlock Holmes' parents.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Jan 05, 2014 01:51 pm

It was interesting that The Empty House, the story where Holmes returns after his apparent death, was on the radio the other day. Comparing the two is fascinating. :D
Proceed, varlet, and let the day be rendered perfect for my benefit!
Tonyblack

Postby steeljam » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks Tony. Really enjoyed the episode. Some interesting differences.

Loved 'The sign of the Three' - one of the best drunk scenes I've seen.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Basement » Mon Jan 06, 2014 01:06 pm

steeljam wrote:Loved 'The sign of the Three' - one of the best drunk scenes I've seen.

Laughed myself stupid at that scene, especially the graphics in the "ghost's" flat "sitty thing" etc :D :D
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Dragonlady » Mon Jan 06, 2014 01:34 pm

That was the first time so far that the middle episode wasn't a let down. I properly enjoyed myself with this one - a fantastic nod to the source material, calculating the alcohol level and failing so spectacularly, the overlays on the furnitre in the 'Ghost House' and Sherlock dealing with his best man duties (I think we'll down grade you to close acquaintance, there's a headless nun in it for you, that just happened).

But best of all was the best man's speach - who ever came up with that was a genious! Couple that with Holmes's reaction to everyone crying (why are they doing that?) - perfect!

As has been said already - how come the same level of storytelling and scripting can't be managed for Dr Who? Such a pity.

That said, seeing as typically there have been 2 strong episodes and a weak one in each series, I am concerned for the next one. :?
If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

http://www.inspiredtowalk.co.uk/ Kilimanjaro 2013 or bust!
Dragonlady

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 06, 2014 01:55 pm

Dragonlady wrote:That said, seeing as typically there have been 2 strong episodes and a weak one in each series, I am concerned for the next one. :?
I thought last weeks was very weak but last night was excellent. Not a weak scene in the whole thing (apart possibly from the bit with Mycroft in the gym). So we've got the poor one out of the way!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby JonnyBGood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 09:47 am

Last night's was the best of the series.
JonnyBGood

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jan 13, 2014 09:48 am

Well, after last week's poor, unfunny, belaboured episode, I found this one to be excellent
I'm also proud of myself for asking in previous episodes "How does she know what a skip code is?" and similar anomalies

I thought, however, thatSherlock had taken John (plus gun) along to have CAM provoke HIM into shooting him right in the frontal lobes
As soon as CAM said the files were all in his mind I said to Julia, well, one bullet fixes that...
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby JonnyBGood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:54 am

I'm a bit disappointed that they're bringing Moriarty back. How will they explain this one?

My favourite bit of any Sherlock episode must be Mycroft complaining about how long Christmas Day was lasting.
JonnyBGood

Next

Return to Moving Pictures