Discworld

Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:37 am

chrisboote wrote:Well, after last week's poor, unfunny, belaboured episode, I found this one to be excellent
[/spoiler]
chrisboote wrote:Well, after last week's poor, unfunny, belaboured episode, I found this one to be excellent
Oddly, I wasn't as taken with this one. Too many coincidences without which the plot wouldn't work at all.
Mary turns out to be an assassin and just happens to be being blackmailed by someone Sherlock is targeting.
Her friend happens to be big bad guy's PA.
Baddie's guys search John and find his knife in the flat - but let him bring a gun into the house?
In John's place, I'd have decked the bad guy and caved his skull in as soon as it became clear there were no paper copies (though what did he show in his pocket in the flat?)- "Your honour, everyone knows I have PTSD and his flicking brought back combat memories. I hit back, he fell and hit his head."
Would Sherlock have believed there were no copies? There might be none under the house (lovely house - it's not far from Bernard... http://www.robertslimbrick.com/portfoli ... th-nibley/ ) or it might have just been a bluff
Drugging all those people so they fall asleep at the same time (and don't choke or hurt themselves) - no.
All the crap about "You must resist the shock/fall backwards/ignore the pain".
Stopped heart starting again because of the Moriarty prompt.
And no-one is that good a shot. That wound would have landed Sherlock in ICU for 3-4 days and seriously handicapped for weeks. He's got a bullet in his liver OR perforated gut and probably both. She COULD have shot him in the leg. I'd have thought her best bet was to shoot the bad guy anyway and make her escape - any trace evidence of her presence would be explained by transfer from John. Or at least give the bad guy a wound as bad as Sherlock's to show him she means business and can get past his security.
And having used "How did he fake his death?" as the interseason tension for 2-3, they're using if for 3-4 too?
It'll turn out newspaper guy isn't really dead either, that Sherlock deliberately missed because oh who cares.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Darren » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:11 pm

Pat wrote:And having used "How did he fake his death?" as the interseason tension for 2-3, they're using if for 3-4 too?

Come on - Stephen Moffat is involved. If a plot device is worth using once, you may as well use it over and over again as it saves having to think up another one. Just be thankful he didn't do a partial regeneration or turn out to be the last of the last of the last of the last of the (repeat ad nauseum) Daleks... ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby JonnyBGood » Mon Jan 13, 2014 01:07 pm

Actually there's no proof that Moriarty is still alive. it could be some other "mastermind" or organisation using him to sow fear in the country.
JonnyBGood

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 13, 2014 01:48 pm

Darren wrote:
Pat wrote:And having used "How did he fake his death?" as the interseason tension for 2-3, they're using if for 3-4 too?

Come on - Stephen Moffat is involved. If a plot device is worth using once, you may as well use it over and over again as it saves having to think up another one. Just be thankful he didn't do a partial regeneration or turn out to be the last of the last of the last of the last of the (repeat ad nauseum) Daleks... ;)

I think we know how series 3 ends/4 begins...OMG! Mrs Hudson has killed John! - Surprise! I'm still alive!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby demdike » Mon Jan 13, 2014 02:29 pm

I got coincidence number 2 nailed. she befriended her because she was the baddies pa, just like Sherlock targeted her

That said I didn't like it.
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby steeljam » Mon Jan 13, 2014 03:14 pm

[quote="JonnyBGood"]I'm a bit disappointed that they're bringing Moriarty back. How will they explain this one?
Easy. Before Moriarty started on his career of crime he had a stage act where he caught bullets in his teeth.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Joolz » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:20 pm

Considering the many plot holes, such as those covered by Steve above, primarily after Sherlock is shot, and Pat's point above that Sherlock's recovery from the shooting is far too swift to be plausible, then perhaps the obvious induction is that the whole of the episode from the point at which Sherlock is in his mind palace during the sequence on the emergency room table takes place inside Sherlock's head as a coma dream. Mycroft being sentimental on his way back into the cottage ("Also, your loss would break my heart.") has to be the straw that breaks the camel's back on believing the events to be actually (in the context of the story) taking place, even allowing for the "Perhaps there was something in the punch" explanation for his out-of-character behaviour. Maybe Steven Moffat is a closet Dallas fan, albeit I don't know how he's going to shoehorn a shower scene into the start of the next series. :lol:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Joolz

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:48 pm

New promo pic just released oh the Victorian-set Sherlock Christmas special :D

Grace Speaker

Postby Basement » Thu Jul 09, 2015 02:19 pm

Loving the 'tache! And Cumberbund will look fab in that frock coat, if we could but see the froak coat properly. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, frock coats!!!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 02:53 pm

Basement wrote:Loving the 'tache! And Cumberbund will look fab in that frock coat, if we could but see the froak coat properly. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, frock coats!!!
:lol: quite so! I may have entertained certain speculations about unbuttoning Mr C's boots . . . I feel certain there's a well-turned ankle under there :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu Jul 09, 2015 04:11 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Basement wrote:Loving the 'tache! And Cumberbund will look fab in that frock coat, if we could but see the froak coat properly. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, frock coats!!!
:lol: quite so! I may have entertained certain speculations about unbuttoning Mr C's boots . . . I feel certain there's a well-turned ankle under there :wink:

Bunch of pervs the both of you. :wink: :lol:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Jul 09, 2015 04:23 pm

Whos Wee Dug wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:

Bunch of pervs the both of you. :wink: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
guilty as charged!! :oops:
Grace Speaker

Postby I.B.Igor » Thu Jul 09, 2015 07:21 pm

Ehem, make that three. I am a dedicated Cumberbatch Fan. Now I need to go back to the previous post and dribble on my key board. :D
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby phalarope » Thu Jul 09, 2015 08:00 pm

I'm joining Jackie with the dribbling! :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:04 pm

phalarope wrote:I'm joining Jackie with the dribbling! :lol:

You can get treatment for that . :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures