Discworld

Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Sherlock - New series ** Spoilers **

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:00 pm

Hard to credit that master of disguise Sherlock wouldn't recognise his own sister - twice!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 01:09 pm

Pat wrote:Hard to credit that master of disguise Sherlock wouldn't recognise his own sister - twice!
Good point and Watson didn't recognise her either, but to be fair there is the question of how long it's been since Sherlock has seen her (possibly since childhood*), and more importantly Sherlock was, by common consensus, "seriously off his tits" for the duration . . . :lol:

* or at least since she played Ophelia to his Hamlet in 2015 . . . :wink:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 09, 2017 03:07 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Pat wrote:Hard to credit that master of disguise Sherlock wouldn't recognise his own sister - twice!
Good point and Watson didn't recognise her either, but to be fair there is the question of how long it's been since Sherlock has seen her (possibly since childhood*), and more importantly Sherlock was, by common consensus, "seriously off his tits" for the duration . . . :lol:

* or at least since she played Ophelia to his Hamlet in 2015 . . . :wink:

Given that he spotted a smudge on a dress, a differential fading of a piece of paper and a pinhole, it's hard to believe his faculties were significantly impaired. I can excuse Watson not recognising her, but not Sherlock. And the bit with the fourth listening device being secreted in Watson's stick was just silly. Leaving aside the required 3 week battery life and the fact that somehow while he wasn't in contact with Watson he managed to get hold of his walking stick, given that he had a tame nurse to swap his drips, surely he could just have got her to bring in the listening device?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Pat wrote:Given that he spotted a smudge on a dress, a differential fading of a piece of paper and a pinhole, it's hard to believe his faculties were significantly impaired. I can excuse Watson not recognising her, but not Sherlock. And the bit with the fourth listening device being secreted in Watson's stick was just silly. Leaving aside the required 3 week battery life and the fact that somehow while he wasn't in contact with Watson he managed to get hold of his walking stick, given that he had a tame nurse to swap his drips, surely he could just have got her to bring in the listening device?
Good points, but the case for the defence could be argued as:
until Sherlock found the 'Faith' note in the flat after he got out of hospital, he was fairly convinced that he had hallucinated her whole visit that evening and it would therefore be feasible that his brain had used a face from his past as a filler (when he was on the Embankment in the dawn light struggling with PTSD over Mary's death, he did have a flashback to his childhood), so if he did recognise his sister on some level, he could have simply dismissed it as PTSD induced hallucination - perhaps his sister was responsible for killing his childhood dog Redbeard, triggering a connection with her to with death/killing? Also, if she got the note (via a 'mutual friend') from Culverton Smith, it's feasible she could also have gotten the TD12 drug to alter his memory in addition to him being drug-addledly off his tits.

The bit I struggle with is how did Mycroft, who knows everything about everyone, did not know that Eurus had got out? If Eurus is her name, then perhaps the Sherrinford that Mycroft has been referring to all this time is the name of the place that she was being held - unless there's a fourth Holmes kicking about somewhere . . .

It's deus ex machina I'll grant you, but the bit with the walking stick makes sense to me, as it was the one John used when they first met for his psychosomatic limp which disappeared once he teemed up with Sherlock and the excitement of solving cases + their friendship helped him overcome his own PTSD. Given that John got over the limp in Season 1, it's highly likely that the stick was still at Sherlock's flat rather that John's house. I don't have an answer to the battery issue, but given John's personality and history, it would be reasonable to assume that Mary's prediction about saving Sherlock was correct, but that anger at/blaming Sherlock would make him want to end their relationship. The gesture of giving Sherlock the walking stick back is the equivalent of giving back the engagement ring of their bromance. John was predictable in advance, whereas the nurse was a serendipitous help, but not a resource predictable in advance of admission to the hospital itself . . .

I get the need to set the scene for the whole Jimmy Saville analogy, but the bit I found a bit silly was the initial staging of the boardroom confession - all the glamorous nurses coming in with drips to administer mind-altering drugs to the board (a judge, police officer, TV exec, pillars of society etc) and everyone complies with barely a demure from his daughter?

I enjoyed this episode more than last week's and have to say that Mrs Hudson was an absolute joy and was the boss of everyone, bless her
Grace Speaker

Postby Mooresey » Thu Jan 12, 2017 03:14 pm

Just watched the last one, i.e. Second episode, didn't see that coming :shock:
Mooresey

Postby steeljam » Sat Jan 14, 2017 11:01 pm

During the episode, Sherlock threw an object into the Thames.
It got me thinking. Did it actually happen?
I can imagine all types of regulations preventing such things.
Sherlock threw the item, then there was a cutaway to the splash.
Was there a catcher on a barge, or was a thin wire attached to the item?
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 02:35 pm

Aaaaaaaaggggghhhhhhh!

The final episode has been leaked by the Russians :shock: :shock: :shock: Is there no end to their hacking?! It's bad enough that they hacked the US presidential election, but hacking Sherlock is beyond the pale - is nothing sacred?! :wink:

Please, please, please, if you are a Russian speaker, please absolutely DO NOT, on Pain of Pain, post any spoilers on the Forum! Спасибо!

I will be avoiding social media until 9pm tonight, by which time I will be needing a large glass of something medicinal . . .
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jan 15, 2017 05:22 pm

Бог!
кто бы мог подумать, что Шерлок выйдет замуж за Джона!

And doesn't 'Sherlock' look good in Russian - Шерлок
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 05:49 pm

chrisboote wrote:Бог!
кто бы мог подумать, что Шерлок выйдет замуж за Джона!

:lol: . . . с Майкрофта, как фрейлина? :wink:

chrisboote wrote:And doesn't 'Sherlock' look good in Russian - Шерлок
Well, there's worse things you can be than a complete Wepnok :lol: like a total Norbury for a start! :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jan 15, 2017 06:33 pm

Майкрофта?
:shock:
And I'm guessing фрейлина - which seems like it's a Russian version of Fraulein - is Maid of Honour? Matron of Honour? Bride's Mother?
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Sun Jan 15, 2017 06:38 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:... like a total Norbury for a start! :wink:

Or even a Garrideb?
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Jan 15, 2017 07:27 pm

chrisboote wrote:Майкрофта?
:shock:
And I'm guessing фрейлина - which seems like it's a Russian version of Fraulein - is Maid of Honour? Matron of Honour? Bride's Mother?
Ooops, did I mis-translate Mycroft phonetically and inadvertently say something very rude? Who, or what, did I suggest could be maid of honour instead? :shock:
Grace Speaker

Postby I.B.Igor » Mon Jan 16, 2017 09:31 am

I missed the Russian leak of Sherlock, I avoided being on line at all , so sat in blissful ignorance while the episode aired, and in English.
I loved every twist and turn, every turn of the screw, when I thought I could not be more emotionally involved, something happened that made me get deeper into the plot.
I admit, Sherlock Fan that I am, when Sherlockput the lid on the coffin I thought it was apt, and felt sad. When he snapped and tore into the thing, smashing it to bits I admit, I cried.

I hope this is not the end of Sherlock, I have loved the show, its been brilliant, funny, quirky, silly and fun, with some great characters, good and bad, Moriarty and Una Stubbs has been a joy to watch, but if it is, last night was a very neat way to tie it all together. Well done Mr Gatiss, well done.
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Pat » Mon Jan 16, 2017 01:44 pm

So, the Sherlock/Fort Boyard cross-over episode has aired.

I thought it was terrible.

Mycroft - you knew the capabilities of the grenade. Why didn't you deal with it it BEFORE it armed?

Sherlock - There's a well where you lived and you didn't know where it was? Whether you're a fantastic detective or not isn't relevant. You were a six year old boy. Every six year old boy knows that sort of thing! Oh, and someone who can notice that a piece of paper which has been hanging flattened out on a wall used to be sharply folded doesn't notice the absence of a reflection from/refraction through a sheet of glass? Who, despite being a self-defence expert can't divert a blow from an attacker?

Watson - If you can't tell an adult skull from a child's skull from an adult skull, we need to talk about your licence to practice medicine... though well done for being able to be hoisetd out of a well while chained to the bottom.

221b - your floorboards are sturdy enough to withstand an explosion but your walls aren't?

Mrs Hudson - you were the only believable character in the whole thing. I'll go put the kettle on.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 05:44 pm

It was a bit Fort Boyard meets Silence of The Lambs wasn't it?

Putting aside the absurdity of anyone being able to arrange this entire elaborate subterfuge in a single five minute conversation, five years in advance, or being able to mind-control a whole prison-worth of guards, I quite liked the whole psychological torture/testing games sequences. The bit with Molly was particularly cruel on Eurus' part. Sherlock's reaction to it was interesting though, as it's the first time he's actually been aware of/cared about hurting Molly's feelings. I think it was the first time he realised that he did actually love her, although he isn't in love with her.

Mycroft not dealing with the patience bomb when if first entered the room annoyed me too. And how did the drone get through the closed front door all by itself in the first place? Mrs Hudson was the only other person in the house and was busy hoovering, so who let it in? Given the size of the blast and the fact that they jumped out of first floor windows, why weren't any of them injured? Not so much as a sprained ankle or a graze from flying shrapnel on any of them!

I agree re the well - if it was the family's 'ancestral seat', I find it very hard to believe that no one knew of, or thought to look down, a large open well on the property. Don't remember Watson getting confused about the skull - I thought he did tell Sherlock the bones weren't a dogs, but a child's? Also agree that Sherlock not spotting the lack of glass/reflections was completely out of character, especially as it was so obvious, although it was quite fun watching him get karate chopped round the lug-holes. It's not the first time that Sherlock's been given a damn good whallop by his nearest and dearest - even Molly has got to slap him round the chops, Mary shot him, The Woman hit him with a whip, Mrs Hudson bundled him into a car-boot at gunpoint and Watson has planted a few smackers on a number of occasions . . . mind you, Sherlock usually deserved those.

I did find the whole damsel in distress* needing to be rescued by Prince Charming** ending a bit disappointing, as I'd already guessed that the little girl in the plane was Eurus but after everything she'd done, it seemed unlikely that she would then simply implode and go meekly back to Sherrinford - after all, hadn't Sherlock just saved her from metaphorically/psychologically crashing? And with Moriarty definitely dead, who else is going to be Sherlock's arch-nemesis?

Plot issues aside, I did enjoy this episode more that the first one and Sian Brooke's performance as Eurus was excellent. While I don't miss the Mary character, I do miss Andrew Scott's Moriarty and still think that Mrs Hudson stole the show from everyone in Episode 2, bless her. There wasn't enough of either Molly or Lestrade in any of this season's episodes - hope there's more of them in the next season, whenever that is. I also liked the little nod to the past in the last scene with Watson and Holmes running out of Rathbone Place.

While there was a bit more nonsense to plausibility in the plot than I would like in this season, it was still enjoyable nonsense. Really, really hope there's going to be more!

*albeit a murdering, psychopathic, genius one
** OK, Sherlock is rarely charming, but you know what I mean
Grace Speaker

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures