Discworld

Doctor Who

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Doctor Who

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 07:32 pm

Loving tonight's episode and it's only got as far as the credits! :D Can't get enough of the guitar playing Doctor!
yes, yes, I know I should get out more . . . :mrgreen:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Re: Doctor Who

Postby I.B.Igor » Sat Oct 10, 2015 08:16 pm

Me to Grace, Capaldi is getting into the swing of it I think, a bit more of a warmer character now, and I still say " Attack Eyebrows " are a brilliant line. :lol:
Kidney Stones are a thing of the past!, blast them out of your urinary tract with our help!, sponsored by Yorkshire Tea ," we brew it tough ooop North "
I.B.Igor

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Oct 10, 2015 08:58 pm

I.B.Igor wrote:Me to Grace, Capaldi is getting into the swing of it I think, a bit more of a warmer character now, and I still say " Attack Eyebrows " are a brilliant line. :lol:
:lol: the 'attack eyebrows'! Love it! :lol:

It's only just started, but I definitely think that this series is much better written than last series - I still shudder at the whole dreadful 'the moon is an egg' fiasco of an episode. Whoever wrote that episode should be sacked!

I wonder how far they'll take 'The Doctor is a Rock Star' thing . . .
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Sat Oct 10, 2015 09:24 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
I.B.Igor wrote:Me to Grace, Capaldi is getting into the swing of it I think, a bit more of a warmer character now, and I still say " Attack Eyebrows " are a brilliant line. :lol:
:lol: the 'attack eyebrows'! Love it! :lol: It's only just started, but I definitely think that this series is much better written than last series - I still shudder at the whole dreadful 'the moon is an egg' fiasco of an episode. Whoever wrote that episode should be sacked!
I wonder how far they'll take 'The Doctor is a Rock Star' thing . . .
As long as he doesn't get a feature role in Towie or Made in Chelsea :shock: Afterall, we managed to avoid Britain's Got Tennant
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 12, 2015 08:31 am

OK - so why was the village still under water in part 1? The impression I got was that when the valley was flooded to make the reservoir, the village was sacrificed (which fits with it being abandoned at the part of part 2). But blowing the dam should have caused an enormous flow of water down the valley, past the village and to the sea. If the village area didn't fill up with rain, why should it fill with the water from the dam?

And I'm getting a little tired of the holograms - "Ah, you didn't see what you think you saw, it was just an illusion." They're taking over the deus ex machina slot previously occupied by the sonic screwdriver OK, if that's the way you want to go, scriptwriters, go that way but now you have to use them EVERY TIME it's appropriate.

I like Capaldi's doctor but the scripts are very curate's egg at the moment. (I did like "If you'd invaded us, you'd be home by now" - very Douglas Adams)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Oct 12, 2015 09:27 am

I don't remember the but about the village and the rain water (might have to watch it again), but you've got some good points there and 'Curate's egg' is a good way of putting it - especially about the scripts in the last series (I may never forgive them over the moon egg episode!). I'm not so keen on the sonic sunglasses either, but there does seem to be a lot more humour in this series which is good.

I hear what you're saying about the over reliance on deus ex machina, but what has been irritating me more recently is that nothing and nobody seems to stay dead! They keep resurrecting the same old villains over and over again (although I have to say I love the actress who plays Missy) and it's getting a bit repetitive (with the exception of Missy, thanks to herself from the Green Wing) and I just wish they'd come up storylines/arcs with some new archenemies.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:34 am

I was in Lyme Regis recently and did some fossil hunting on the beach. Came across some rocks which appear to have Circular Gallifreyan text on them.
I was wondering if it was a chalk slate from a school trip to see the Ammonites of Earth.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 19, 2015 01:11 pm

Note to Dr Who scriptwriters - Vikings did not have horns on their helmets (or in most cases helmets at all).

Have these guys never watched Horrible Histories?
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Oct 19, 2015 01:46 pm

Darren - that's exactly what I was shouting at the TV on Saturday night! :lol:

Steve - loving the photos of Lyme Regis! I've wanted to go fossil hunting down there for ages - must look into train times! That's a beautiful fossil specimen you've shot there (Gallifreyan graffiti, included :wink: ) - did you just find that lying around?!
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby steeljam » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:25 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Darren - that's exactly what I was shouting at the TV on Saturday night! :lol:
Steve - loving the photos of Lyme Regis! I've wanted to go fossil hunting down there for ages - must look into train times! That's a beautiful fossil specimen you've shot there (Gallifreyan graffiti, included :wink: ) - did you just find that lying around?!
I only have a photo. That stone was big and very heavy! Found a few ammonites and belemnites; plus lots of pyrite nodules.
We were told it was not a good time to do fossil hunting as the recent weather had been clement. You should wait for a heavy storm and heavy rain before visiting.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Stew d'Apples » Wed Oct 21, 2015 05:44 pm

Darren wrote:Note to Dr Who scriptwriters - Vikings did not have horns on their helmets (or in most cases helmets at all).

Have these guys never watched Horrible Histories?

blame narritivium. people expect vikings to have horned helmets so they have horned helmets.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby steeljam » Thu Oct 22, 2015 04:25 pm

Love this
steeljam
Monitor

Postby SANEAlex » Tue Oct 27, 2015 02:26 pm

In other Dr Who related news maybe a K9 movie

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oc ... CMP=twt_gu
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby steeljam » Tue Oct 27, 2015 04:05 pm

SANEAlex wrote:In other Dr Who related news maybe a K9 movie
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oc ... CMP=twt_gu

Interesting. In the article it states "... set in a deep space environment populated by dashing heroes and heroines, androids, monstrous aliens ..."
A sidebar has an article featuring Guardians of the Galaxy. Makes me wonder.
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Pat » Sun Dec 06, 2015 09:06 am

"all the other immortals are dead."

That word - I do not think it means what you think it means...

Anyone got any idea what that was all about?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Next

Return to Moving Pictures