Discworld

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (contains SPOILERS!)

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Star Wars - The Force Awakens (contains SPOILERS!)

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 01:14 pm

OK, I saw this on Friday and have been dying to talk about it, but as so many people still haven't seen it and I don't want to give away spoilers, I've had a number of conversations along the lines of "It's AWESOME!!!! You gotta go see it!!! I loved the bit where . . . ahhh! can't tell you that, but wait till you see what Han and Chewie . . . oh wait, I can't tell you that either . . . oh just go and see the bloody thing, will you!?!?"

But I can't do it any longer! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: I am a life-long Star Wars fan and I NEED to talk about it before I burst, so for anyone who hasn't seen The Force Awakens yet DO NOT READ ANY FURTHER POSTS on this thread as they will contain spoilers :!:

To emphasize the point here's a teensy-weensy hint at a non-spoiler, spoiler :lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image
Image Image

You will only get this joke once you've seen it, so get a move on, and don't read this thread again until you have!!
I will post again in a bit, to give those who haven't seen it a chance to run away . . .

. . . and it will contain spoilers . . . and questions, I have lots of questions and theories

You have been warned!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Re: Star Wars - The Force Awakens (contains SPOILERS!)

Postby phalarope » Mon Dec 21, 2015 01:44 pm

Oh Dear Om, it's frightening how much Ardal O'Hanlon resembles Carrie Fisher! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 21, 2015 03:24 pm

phalarope wrote:Oh Dear Om, it's frightening how much Ardal O'Hanlon resembles Carrie Fisher! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: The one of Mrs Doyle in the gold bikini definitely causes a disturbance in the Force . . . :mrgreen: :lol:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby kizkiz » Mon Dec 21, 2015 06:03 pm

And there was me thinking Leia had spent the last 30 years captaining the starship voyager around the delta quadrant. Lol
kizkiz

Postby Sandra » Mon Dec 21, 2015 09:02 pm

Terry said he was asked for a new book that was all new but had all the old characters....

JJ Abrams has delivered just that

Leaving the screen I was thinking anyone who fails to learn from the pasty is doomed to repeat...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Stew d'Apples » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:48 pm

not been to see it yet. my brother has and was disappointed. he says it was more or less a remake of episode IV. which i'm inclined to suspect might be accurate as someone at work said the same thing this morning. Bro reckons when hype has died down people will start to judge more soberly and they'll rank only slightly higher than the prequels.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby steeljam » Tue Dec 22, 2015 02:09 pm

It was a good 'leave your reality at the entrance' movie. Some rehashing, or is it homage?, from the early stories. Thankfully no sickly sweet Disney episodes.
When the Supreme being appeared I found myself expecting him to say "My Preciousss"! It was only at the end I discovered it was Andy Serkis.
I loved when Kylo Ren smashed up his room like a spoilt child when he was angry.
I am still wondering with all the technology droids don't have a speech circuit.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steeljam » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:06 pm

In the film the phrase "Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs" gets a second airing.
I have read many views that this was a mistake as parsec is a measure of distance not time.
However, the statement may not be wrong.
When I plan trips I use Google Maps and Garmin. What I get back is a set of routes, fastest, shortest or avoiding tolls or motorways.
The fastest is not always the shortest route. The shortest route uses less fuel. Less fuel means more profit.
So a journey of 'less than 12 parsecs' would mean more profits. Something a trader would see as important.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Dec 23, 2015 06:52 pm

steeljam wrote:In the film the phrase "Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs" gets a second airing.
I have read many views that this was a mistake as parsec is a measure of distance not time.
However, the statement may not be wrong.
When I plan trips I use Google Maps and Garmin. What I get back is a set of routes, fastest, shortest or avoiding tolls or motorways.
The fastest is not always the shortest route. The shortest route uses less fuel. Less fuel means more profit.
So a journey of 'less than 12 parsecs' would mean more profits. Something a trader would see as important.
I like your logic! :thumbr:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:09 am

Merry Christmas and may the Force Be With You :wink:

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Hmm. Did they make Star Wars VII by adding the script of Star Wars 3 to Star Wars 4?

Hello. I am one of the good people. I have an electronic file which I need to take to the Good People Base to help them beat the Bad People, but my ship is no longer under my control. I will therefore hide the file in a droid.
Hello. I am one of the Bad People. You can tell, because I dress in black and wear a mask indoors. Just so you're clear I'm evil, I torture one of the good people in order to get the file. but I will fail.
Hello. I am the best paid actor in this film, with an extensive portfolio of serious film work. I mentored the Bad Guy before he turned bad and still turture myself about it. I have lots of other offers of star roles so I will therefore be killed by by me trainee and not play a major role in the next two films.
Hi. You don't see me on screen, but I'm the head of Health & Safety for Bad People Head Quarters and my budget has been cut AGAIN. I managed to get a few hand rails in place but nearly as much as we needed. And did NO ONE read my memo "Why Digging A Trench Which Leads To The One Weak Spot Is A Bad Idea"?
Hi ya! We're the Comedy Aliens! We just love to hang out in the bar listening to Space Jazz. Enjoy our cameo because we never show up again!

So - good fun but not nearly innovative enough for my liking!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Stew d'Apples » Tue Dec 29, 2015 06:53 pm

Finally went to see it. Enjoyable and entertaining. Thought Rey is an excellent character (even if she is bit of a Mary Sue) and I'm hoping for great things from her. Kylo Ren could have been more menacing. He just came across as a sulky teenager.

My brother was right though, it is basically a rehash of A New Hope.

Hopefully the First Order will realise that super weapons never seem to work well for them.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu Jan 14, 2016 01:35 pm

Thought I'd wait till the crowds died down a bit..... I did enjoy it roll on the sequel. :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Kelshandra » Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:19 am

I found it a bit boring to be honest. As has been said, a rehash of the original Ep 3+4 with WAY too many wink wink, nod nod fan references (Guys, you are already making Star Wars, you don't need to spend every 5 minutes going 'ooh, let's use that alien/quote/reference/whatever from the original three as a homage to the fans). And it was too long. I was checking my watch after an hour to see how long it was to go- not a great sign.

No doubt I'll eventually get around to watching the sequels but I'm not going to bother at the cinema.

I shall now duck over here behind Chimmie to avoid the thrown projectiles from fans :D
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2010 and 2018 Yearbooks- 2017 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Catch-up » Mon May 16, 2016 09:34 pm

We finally got to see this! The girls and I loved it. Derek did not. I enjoyed all of the nods to the previous movies, but acknowledge the story line was a bit of a rehash. Still enjoyed the story and the characters though. Only two complaints. As Stu said, they could have done better with Kylo Ren. I think they missed the mark there. And, I was DEVASTATED when Han Solo died! :cry: Why?! Looking forward to seeing more though. :)
Catch-up

Return to Moving Pictures