Discworld

Christmas TV

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Christmas TV

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:21 am

phalarope wrote:Having never watched Peter Jackson's The Hobbit Trilogy, we sat down to the whole thing today. It was . . . different. I will have to go back and re-read the book now to see what was really there, what wasn't, and what I might have mis-remembered. The third installment was pointless IMHO, just a means to indulge in a load of CGI that did not build character or advance the story. Whatever. My real question is this - was anyone else even slightly weirded out by Holmes and Watson as Smaug and Bilbo?
:lol: Well, Conan-Doyle's Sherlock was known to chase the dragon from time to time . . . :wink:

Completely agree with you regarding The Hobbit trilogy BTW - it would have made a single good film, but they ruined it by padding it out with endless CGI and lots of stuff that wasn't in the original book and missed out bits that were. Not a patch on the LOTR films, sadly.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sun Dec 27, 2015 09:03 pm

Just seen a trailer and War and Peace looks well made.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Dec 28, 2015 07:20 pm

The Hogfather is on the channel called 'Pick' right now :D
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Stew d'Apples » Mon Dec 28, 2015 09:05 pm

I've not enjoyed any of the adaptations so far.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:36 pm

I've liked them all, some more than others. :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Stew d'Apples » Tue Dec 29, 2015 08:44 am

Hogfather and CoM would have been improved immeasurably by not having cast David Jason. Going Postal was the better adaptation but there was still something that was irritating.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:02 pm

I have to admit that I didn't like the TV adaptation of the CoM at all and thought that David Jason was all kinds of wrong for Rincewind . . . 30 odd years to old for a start!! If memory serves correctly, according to the flight manifest when he swapped dimensions and ended up on a Roundworld plane, Rincewind was 34 years old.

But I thought David Jason was OK in Hogfather - not the Albert that I have in my head when I read the books mind you, as David Jason is a bit too cuddly to believe he was once the most powerful wizard in all of the Disc. The Albert I imagine is a bit more menacing . . . more Peter Capaldi with an English accent. It pains me to say this as I adore the man, but I thought the weaker performance was actually Tony Robinson as the shopkeeper. I liked the guy who played Nobby, but where were his numerous skin complaints? He looked far too 'human' to me :mrgreen: And Mark Wossname as Teatime was very good.

I also liked Going Postal and thought that Charles Dance made an excellent Vetinari - although again, not the one in my imagination which is more Christopher Lee (MayHeRestInPeace). My main beef with all three productions is that the Direction and editing isn't quite right - so the actors' performance sometimes seems flat and 2D, the scenes don't always flow together and seem like 'set-pieces' rather than giving the feel that you've just dropped in on the action, as it were. That said, I can happily re-watch The Hogfather and Going Postal, but have never wanted to rewatch CoM.
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Monstrous Regiment* referenced** in Sherlock!! :D

* and not just Molly Cooper in a moustache!!
** and yes I know STP was referencing an earlier reference, but I'm hoping Sherlock was referencing STP! Is Mark Gatiss a fan does anyone know?
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Stew d'Apples » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:11 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:Monstrous Regiment* referenced** in Sherlock!! :D

* and not just Molly Cooper in a moustache!!
** and yes I know STP was referencing an earlier reference, but I'm hoping Sherlock was referencing STP! Is Mark Gatiss a fan does anyone know?

I doubt it was a Pterry shout out. More likely a reference to John Knox.

E
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Molokov » Sat Jan 02, 2016 06:18 am

That Sherlock special was fairly wonderful, and truly inspired :)

In Australia, there's some exclusive deal with streaming platform Stan (owned by Channel 9/Fairfax Media) so it won't be shown on the ABC (our version of the BBC) here, at least not this week. However, it did screen in some cinemas, and so that's where we saw it this morning - on the "big screen" with the behind-the-scenes special shown immediately afterwards.

We really enjoyed it, so much I'd like to see it again... but that won't be happening any time soon, as I don't subscribe to Stan, and of course, the cinema screenings were limited to today only, and mostly only a single session at each cinema (11.30am).
Nullus Anxietas 7 - The Australian Discworld Convention
12th-14th April 2019
Mantra Bell City, Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:21 am

So glad you got to see it over there in Australia at the same time as the UK :thumbr: My sister-in-law is in Sydney and is a massive Sherlock fan after being forced to sit and watch it when she came over to visit me a couple of years ago - she didn't think it would be 'her thing' but after 10 minutes it she was hooked :wink: It drives her nuts that there's always weeks if not months of delay before the good BBC shows get shown on ABC - particularly when it comes to Sherlock.

I am a massive Sherlock fan and was a bit worried that the Victorian version wouldn't be as good, but I was pleasantly surprised about how much I liked the Victorian/modern Sherlock combo and loved the humour running all the way through it. I liked that we got to romp through Sherlock's subconscious and very telling that in Sherlock's dreamscape, sibling rivalry meant he was betting Mycroft whether or not he could eat himself to death! :roll: Martin Freeman's Watson is an absolute treasure and I loved the feisty Molly Cooper in a moustache/Monstrous Regiment storyline. Thought Mary was under-used, but otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it. Can't wait for the next series! :D :bounce:
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures