Discworld

Watership Down, traumatising children since 1978

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Watership Down, traumatising children since 1978

Postby Stibbons » Tue Mar 29, 2016 08:01 pm

Heh, lot of fuss on Twitter about Channel 5 screening the Watership Down film over Easter Sunday afternoon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/watership-down-parents-left-horrified-as-1978-animated-film-traumatises-children-on-easter-sunday-a6956061.html

Possibly not the best choice admittedly but, as someone commented, probably a lot better for their development than just sitting there eating chocolate. Yes boys and girls, life for a lovely little bunny really can get that grim and nasty, welcome to the real world (although yes, you've got talking psychic rabbits). The Wife was surprised to see that the DVD has a "U" rating (although the cover of most versions are HUGELY misleading).

Apparently the only film to beat it in a poll of most disturbing children's films (and then only just) is the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film. Which would you choose, General Woundwort or Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka?

The rabbit. definitely the rabbit. "There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going..."
We'll keep the turtle moving.
Stibbons

Re: Watership Down, traumatising children since 1978

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:50 pm

Stibbons wrote:Heh, lot of fuss on Twitter about Channel 5 screening the Watership Down film over Easter Sunday afternoon.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/watership-down-parents-left-horrified-as-1978-animated-film-traumatises-children-on-easter-sunday-a6956061.html

Possibly not the best choice admittedly but, as someone commented, probably a lot better for their development than just sitting there eating chocolate. Yes boys and girls, life for a lovely little bunny really can get that grim and nasty, welcome to the real world (although yes, you've got talking psychic rabbits). The Wife was surprised to see that the DVD has a "U" rating (although the cover of most versions are HUGELY misleading).

Apparently the only film to beat it in a poll of most disturbing children's films (and then only just) is the original Charlie and the Chocolate Factory film. Which would you choose, General Woundwort or Gene Wilder's Willy Wonka?

The rabbit. definitely the rabbit. "There's no earthly way of knowing which direction we are going..."

Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit, Kill the Wabbit. :lol: General Woundwort would have been no match for Bugs. :mrgreen:

The Plague Dogs also by Richard Adams might not be suitable due the scenes in the research Lab.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:44 pm

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory didn't bother me in the slightest as a kid as is just seemed silly to me, but Watership Down was hugely emotional (both the film and later the book). I think I was about 7 when I first saw it on TV, and it wasn't the bit about the rabbits fighting that upset me most, it was the bit about a whole warren being deliberately gassed that got to me as it was the first time I realised humans could be so deliberately cruel. Even though it was an animated film, I realised instantly that it was depicting reality and I remember having nightmares about it for weeks. As for the bit when Hazel dies - I don't even have to watch the film, just hearing the song "Bright Eyes" is enough to start me blubbing! :oops:

I first tried to read The Plague Dogs when I was about 10 or 11, but found the whole concept of animal testing so upsetting that I had to stop. It took several tries to get trough it. Richard Adams is a very good writer but his work gave me a lot of traumatised, sleepless nights . . .
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby steveastrouk » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:51 pm

I liked the, probably aprocryphal, story of the game butchers with a sign outside saying
Watership down, you've read the book, you've seen the film, now eat the cast.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:08 am

steveastrouk wrote:I liked the, probably aprocryphal, story of the game butchers with a sign outside saying
Bad taste that Butcher! (no pune intended :wink: )
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby Pat » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:17 pm

steveastrouk wrote:I liked the, probably aprocryphal, story of the game butchers with a sign outside saying

When Jurassic Park came out, there were butchers advertising Jurassic Pork and Tyranosausage Rex!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Bad taste that Butcher! (no pune intended :wink: )

Why was the rabbit off that it tastes bad. :wink: :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Darren » Wed Mar 30, 2016 02:53 pm

Some interesting comments on it from the BBFC.

Today it would be a PG rather than a U apparently.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby DavidAHarvey » Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Booking for the new stage adaptation has a note saying it is suitable for ages eight and over, and advising parental guidance.
Gosh I'm looking forward to seeing it!
https://www.watermill.org.uk/watership_down
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Return to Moving Pictures