Discworld

Good Omens is being made in to a new TV Series . . .

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Good Omens is being made in to a new TV Series . . .

Postby Molokov » Thu May 30, 2019 09:47 pm

Sandra wrote:Since we are flatly refusing to give Amazon any money we can avoid we are not watching Amazon Prime - so does anyone know when the BBC is showing this?

I did read somewhere (possibly on Neil Gaiman's twitter feed) that the BBC will air it in about six months' time.

Which probably means that a DVD/BluRay release won't be until after it's aired on the BBC.
Nullus Anxietas 7a - The Australian Discworld Convention
July 2021, Sydney, Australia.
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Sandra » Thu May 30, 2019 10:32 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Sandra wrote:Since we are flatly refusing to give Amazon any money we can avoid we are not watching Amazon Prime - so does anyone know when the BBC is showing this?
Good question! I haven't seen anything yet stating the BBC air date, but I'm planning to get the 30 day free trail of Amazon Prime, watch all 6 episodes then cancel within the 30 days, so it'll cost me nowt :D

Are they releasing all 6 episodes as a box-set? I've seen them before release stuff in such a way you cannot see the last episode for free. They did it with Vikings - you had to pay for the last episode as it couldn't be box-setted.
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri May 31, 2019 03:34 pm

Sandra wrote:
Are they releasing all 6 episodes as a box-set? I've seen them before release stuff in such a way you cannot see the last episode for free. They did it with Vikings - you had to pay for the last episode as it couldn't be box-setted.
Good point. Neil Gaiman said all 6 episodes should be available in one go, but I don't know whether Amazon Prime itself will be sneaky and hold back the last episode to make you pay for a month's membership if you're only on a trial.

I've just got back from visiting Aziraphale's book shop in Soho* (photos to follow), and am just about to sit down to watch Good Omens, so I guess I'll find out in a few hours if I get all 6 episodes!

I got to sit in Crowley's Bentley!!! :D :twisted: :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri May 31, 2019 11:33 pm

Just finished watching all 6 episodes (I never knew Julia had a subscription to Amazon Prime Video)

Not sure if the one month free Prime membership includes Prime Video New Releases

It's all __ing amazing

My suggestion for the ending scene got used! (although not really for the ending scene)
I'm more than a little chuffed now
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Penners » Sat Jun 01, 2019 06:23 am

Happy to confirm that the free trial does include all six episodes. No spoilers here but I loved it and the six hours back to back binge-watching simply flew by. :D
“In theory it was, around now, Literature. Susan hated Literature. She'd much prefer to read a good book.”
Penners

Postby Darren » Sat Jun 01, 2019 08:51 am

Hmm, Good Omens released yesterday, 10 hour transatlantic flight tomorrow...

Some things are just meant to be, aren't they? :twisted:
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Stew d'Apples » Sat Jun 01, 2019 04:48 pm

It's good, not brilliant. Felt a bit rushed in places. The voiceover made it feel like I was watching Pushing Up Daisies and the visuals were a bit Harry Potteresque. Felt at times like it didn't know if it wanted to be for kids or adults. Too many silly voices and faces. A&C were good. Michael Sheen pretty much nails Aziraphale but Tennant was ok not who I picture as Crowley. Peter Serafinowicz as C in the radio adaptation was a better casting job. Loved the telling of A&C's relationship through the ages. Jack Whitehall didn't make me want to smash my screen - which is a first. Adria Arjona was good and, frankly, has. a face I don't think I'd ever get bored of looking at.

If I had to give it a score it'd be 7/10. Much better than any of the Sky adaptations of Pterry's work, although they haven't really set the bar high with those.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Stew d'Apples

Postby Catch-up » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:19 am

Grace, I cannot wait to see your pictures!

We've only watched the first episode so far - we loved it! So much going on here though, no opportunity to binge watch it.
Catch-up

Postby annebn » Mon Jun 03, 2019 05:21 pm

Whatched it all in two sittings. First half one a long train journey, rest at home on Sunday. Absolutely loved it! Wish it had lasted longer, but wouldn't really change anything that was there.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:02 pm

Oook!

My one, single complaint - no Greasy Johnson and the Johnsonites. Which means no basis for Adam to make the connection between the rival gangs in Lower Tadfield and the heaven/hell bunch.

Also, no finding-out-the-fate-of-Baby-B.

Everything else was a joy, and I'm looking forward to many re-watches of this lovely show!
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Darren » Wed Jun 05, 2019 01:29 am

Along similar lines, I note that the other 4 horsemen of the apocalypse also got edited out, again...
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:26 am

Darren wrote:Along similar lines, I note that the other 4 horsemen of the apocalypse also got edited out, again...
They did sadly, due to cost and the BBC insisting every episode was only 55 minutes or less in length :( They are in the TV script though, bless 'em
GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:32 pm

So Amazon currently seem to be sending their orders out in interesting packaging . . .

Not only have I got Good Omens playing on a loop at the moment, but I ordered some stuff from Amazon yesterday and if it doesn't turn up in one of these boxes someone at Amazon is sure going to hear about it!!! :twisted:

I may need help . . . :lol:

GNU Stephen Hawking
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri Jun 07, 2019 03:43 pm

Music for Good Omens that 'got left in the car'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A43l_JJ6Rwk

Very Roger Taylor feel to it
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby phalarope » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:58 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:So Amazon currently seem to be sending their orders out in interesting packaging . . .

Not only have I got Good Omens playing on a loop at the moment, but I ordered some stuff from Amazon yesterday and if it doesn't turn up in one of these boxes someone at Amazon is sure going to hear about it!!! :twisted:

I may need help . . . :lol:

A friend is saving her most recent Amazon box for me.

I most definitely need help. Want to form an on-line support group? :lol:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

PreviousNext

Return to Moving Pictures