Discworld

Back in Black Documetary

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Back in Black Documetary

Postby Grace Speaker » Thu Feb 09, 2017 07:45 pm

In preparation for the Back in Black documentary to be aired on Saturday 11th February at 9pm, there's a lovely piece on Terry in the BBC Arts section:

Everything you need to know about Terry Pratchett

Scroll down to the bottom of the article for additional links, including one to the full reading given by Neil Gaiman at last year's memorial (hankies at the ready)
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Re: Back in Black Documetary

Postby phalarope » Fri Feb 10, 2017 02:28 am

Oh geez, I've read it, because I have A Slip of the Keyboard, and I was fine nearly all the way through, until the part where Neil says he's angry about losing his friend. And then I lost it. And then there was the Hat... Thanks for sharing the link Grace - I have no idea when I'll get to see Back in Black, because BBC2 doesn't make it to the US. :(
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 07:23 pm

phalarope wrote:Oh geez, I've read it, because I have A Slip of the Keyboard, and I was fine nearly all the way through, until the part where Neil says he's angry about losing his friend. And then I lost it. And then there was the Hat... Thanks for sharing the link Grace - I have no idea when I'll get to see Back in Black, because BBC2 doesn't make it to the US. :(
It should be on BBC iPlayer straight afterwards - can you access BBC iPlayer in the US?
Grace Speaker

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Feb 10, 2017 07:27 pm

For anyone who hasn't read The Shepherd's Crown yet, apparently there is a big spoiler right in the middle of the Back in Black documentary, so stick your fingers in your ears and sing The Hedgehog song as loud as you like!
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Fri Feb 10, 2017 08:04 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
phalarope wrote:Oh geez, I've read it, because I have A Slip of the Keyboard, and I was fine nearly all the way through, until the part where Neil says he's angry about losing his friend. And then I lost it. And then there was the Hat... Thanks for sharing the link Grace - I have no idea when I'll get to see Back in Black, because BBC2 doesn't make it to the US. :(
It should be on BBC iPlayer straight afterwards - can you access BBC iPlayer in the US?
Nope, not TV, only radio :(
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby chrisboote » Fri Feb 10, 2017 09:09 pm

Send an email to Rob (c/o Colin or PJSM prints if necessary) asking him to bring it on dvd to the US convention?
If he is allowed, I'm sure he would
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Molokov » Fri Feb 10, 2017 09:17 pm

chrisboote wrote:

Send an email to Rob (c/o Colin or PJSM prints if necessary) asking him to bring it on dvd to the US convention?
If he is allowed, I'm sure he would

That's our potential plan for Australia too. Of course, if Rob would actually confirm whether or not he's able to come...
Nullus Anxietas VI - The Discworld Grand Tour - The Australian Discworld Convention
4th-6th August 2017
The Lakes Resort Hotel, West Lakes, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Grace Speaker » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:00 pm

I thought that was lovely, but I suspect the Onion Fairy has been busy this evening - thank Om I had the hankies at the ready :cry:

Chris started me off right at the beginning just by saying "we miss him", then Neil in the Chinese restaurant got me again and then Rhianna at the end - but it was so lovely to see Bernard and so may of you all in the VTs and at the cons in between xxx

(((((hugs))))) to everyone
Grace Speaker

Postby AgnesNitt » Sun Feb 12, 2017 01:31 am

Well said Grace!
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Sun Feb 12, 2017 05:32 am

Oook!

How do we, in For'n Parts that are not Australia or the USA get to see this? :(

Is there some sort of box-set of all the documentaries I can buy?
What ape? Oook! :book:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Cara » Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:27 am

Grace Speaker wrote:For anyone who hasn't read The Shepherd's Crown yet, apparently there is a big spoiler right in the middle of the Back in Black documentary, so stick your fingers in your ears and sing The Hedgehog song as loud as you like!

I read this too late... Sob!
Cara

Postby Stibbons » Sun Feb 12, 2017 01:18 pm

We watched it this morning. It was difficult in places, particularly at the beginning, seeing him struggle for words, hearing Rob talk about seeing him like that, hearing about the slow car crash he was becoming, the walk in the park where things start to change.

I had a sad, but it was a good programme. Hats off (or maybe that should be on) to Paul Kaye for his performance.
We'll keep the turtle moving.
Stibbons

Postby Grace Speaker » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:07 pm

Stibbons wrote:We watched it this morning. It was difficult in places, particularly at the beginning, seeing him struggle for words, hearing Rob talk about seeing him like that, hearing about the slow car crash he was becoming, the walk in the park where things start to change.

I had a sad, but it was a good programme. Hats off (or maybe that should be on) to Paul Kaye for his performance.
I agree and kind of hope that they get him to narrate the audiobook of the autobiography when it's published. Just watched BiB again and blubbed in the same places all over again, damn Onion Fairy!
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Mon Feb 13, 2017 03:38 am

Seeing Neil and #rhianna upset was what got to me. I watched it on the train comign down from rovaneina. While I didn't actually cry I could see Rob's frustration and grief coming out. I think I purged a lot of my emotions over this at the dwcon in warick last August. It was heartfelt, as much for me as, exepting the scottish accented author interviewed I know personally almost everyone in it. Bits were hard to watch but I'm glad I did.

One thing, I thgouht it was supposed to be a 90 minute two parter, the one I looked at was 45, perhaps a dvd release with extra footage?
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Basement » Mon Feb 13, 2017 09:36 am

I did ask the Neil on TV if he wanted a hug.
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Next

Return to Moving Pictures