Discworld

Dr Who

The bit of the forum where you can be the director, producer, and critic of anything that is movie related in a Discworldly sort of way.

Re: Dr Who

Postby Darren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 04:02 pm

I mis-spelt it, but The Valeyard.

Yes, I know I'm showing my age here ;)
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 04:33 pm

Darren wrote:I mis-spelt it, but The Valeyard.

Yes, I know I'm showing my age here ;)
Oh dear Om, you mean there's another incarnation of the Doctor that I don't know about!!!!! :shock: :evil: I have to admit that I stopped watching after Peter Davidson left and didn't start again until Eccleston pitched up, so it's my own fault I don't know about this bloke

Right, so if I understand it correctly, this Valeyard character is supposed to be made up of all the iffy bits of all the Doctor's incarnations but is genetically identical to the Doctor and is supposed to appear between his 12 and 13th incarnations, which meant that he should have popped into existence between Smith and Capaldi? Doesn't that make the Valeyard the 13th Doctor, which means that Capaldi is therefore the 14th?

And why doesn't The War Doctor count!?!?!

My brain hurts . . . :?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 17, 2017 07:43 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
Pat wrote:Where are we up to with the regenerations anyway? I get confused with where the War Doctor comes in to the regeneration timeline and does the Doctor have a new limit now or can he(she) just keep regenerating indefinitely?

Those of us old enough to remember The Deadly Assassin know that donning the Sash of Rassilon and being in the room with the Eye of Harmony has buggered up any attempt at counting
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 17, 2017 08:01 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:, part of him ended up in Donna . . .

Fnarr fnarr ... :D
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 09:48 pm

chrisboote wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well if he has two hearts, maybe he has a spare one of those as well . . . :wink:

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Where are we up to with the regenerations anyway? I get confused with where the War Doctor comes in to the regeneration timeline and does the Doctor have a new limit now or can he(she) just keep regenerating indefinitely?

Those of us old enough to remember The Deadly Assassin know that donning the Sash of Rassilon and being in the room with the Eye of Harmony has buggered up any attempt at counting
Eh? Are you making stuff up?

Did the significant owl hoot in the night before he was allowed to don the Sash of Rassilon in the room with the Eye of Harmony? I hope the Four Watchtowers were duly secured and the Trouser of Sanctity was suitably shrived beforehand . . . :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby phazedout » Mon Jul 17, 2017 09:58 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
chrisboote wrote:

Well if he has two hearts, maybe he has a spare one of those as well . . . :wink:

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Where are we up to with the regenerations anyway? I get confused with where the War Doctor comes in to the regeneration timeline and does the Doctor have a new limit now or can he(she) just keep regenerating indefinitely?

Eh? Are you making stuff up?

Did the significant owl hoot in the night before he was allowed to don the Sash of Rassilon in the room with the Eye of Harmony? I hope the Four Watchtowers were duly secured and the Trouser of Sanctity was suitably shrived beforehand . . . :wink:

you're forgetting the *really* important question

Which side does the new Dr like their figgin toasted on
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jul 18, 2017 07:10 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Did the significant owl hoot in the night before he was allowed to don the Sash of Rassilon in the room with the Eye of Harmony? I hope the Four Watchtowers were duly secured and the Trouser of Sanctity was suitably shrived beforehand . . . :wink:

Tchah, youngsters!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/R ... lyAssassin
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:46 am

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Did the significant owl hoot in the night before he was allowed to don the Sash of Rassilon in the room with the Eye of Harmony? I hope the Four Watchtowers were duly secured and the Trouser of Sanctity was suitably shrived beforehand . . . :wink:

Tchah, youngsters!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/R ... lyAssassin
OK, I've read the whole recap now and can summarise my thoughts thusly: There were far too many recreational drugs being taken in the 70's!

Although in terms of origin myths, does anyone know if this Doctor Who storyline was the inspiration for The Matrix trilogy and the "Resistance is futile" catchphrase of the Borg in Star Trek?
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:29 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Although in terms of origin myths, does anyone know if this Doctor Who storyline was the inspiration for The Matrix trilogy

Anecdotally, yes (the Wachowski Brothers have said nmore than once they are big Doctor Who fans and have no problems recycling plots, ideas and concepts)
and the "Resistance is futile" catchphrase of the Borg in Star Trek?

That's lifted 100% from Hitchhikers Guide and edited just enough to avoid copyright mutterings
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Tue Jul 18, 2017 04:09 pm

chrisboote wrote:
Grace Speaker wrote:Although in terms of origin myths, does anyone know if this Doctor Who storyline was the inspiration for The Matrix trilogy

Anecdotally, yes (the Wachowski Brothers have said nmore than once they are big Doctor Who fans and have no problems recycling plots, ideas and concepts)
and the "Resistance is futile" catchphrase of the Borg in Star Trek?

That's lifted 100% from Hitchhikers Guide and edited just enough to avoid copyright mutterings

According to the Internet, the phrase "Resistance is useless" appeared earlier, in the 1964 Doctor Who episode "The Daleks" and the exact phrase "Resistance is futile" appeared in Space: 1999 in 1978 - same year as HHGTTG was firstr broadcast.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Tue Jul 18, 2017 06:27 pm

Pat wrote:According to the Internet, the phrase "Resistance is useless" appeared earlier, in the 1964 Doctor Who episode "The Daleks" and the exact phrase "Resistance is futile" appeared in Space: 1999 in 1978 - same year as HHGTTG was firstr broadcast.

I stand, well slouch, corrected
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:19 am

My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Well played, Dr Harkin, well played!
Grace Speaker

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 19, 2017 03:43 pm

The geek in me says they got the top of the T wrong (ignoring the upright part off it being off position too).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby steveastrouk » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 pm

Darren wrote:The geek in me says they got the top of the T wrong (ignoring the upright part off it being off position too).

The geek in me says that's a neat trick with a 7 segment display, because thats all the Fluke 233 has. It DOES have a very cool remotable screen though, so you can set up a measurement in a horrifically hot but isolated test, close the cabinet, and measure the result from outside.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Previous

Return to Moving Pictures