Discworld

Wonderful, Wonderful Wincanton.

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

Wonderful, Wonderful Wincanton.

Postby RJH » Wed Nov 30, 2011 02:10 pm

The recent Hogswatch event held in Wincanton was attended by the guys from BackSpindle games who designed the Guards Guards board game, Leo Boyd one of the designers was good enough to do a guest post on Bricks and Books with his recap of the event, enjoy: http://bricksandbooks.co.uk/2011/wonder ... wincanton/
Discworld Fanatics - A fansite run by fans for fans. We bring you news everyday, also we cover reviews and much more. Plus we are the home of the Discworld Reading Guide
RJH

Re: Wonderful, Wonderful Wincanton.

Postby ladyramkin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 05:56 pm

Have to apologise to the nice man from the Ankh Morpork game, who was going to give me a demonstration. Something fairly urgent came up, and by the time I got back, it was too late. Anyway, I bought one. Something else for my ten year old granddaughter to slaughter me at, as in Thud, Watch Out and chess :(
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
ladyramkin

Postby RJH » Wed Nov 30, 2011 07:14 pm

ladyramkin wrote: the Ankh Morpork game

That's a different game :wink:
Discworld Fanatics - A fansite run by fans for fans. We bring you news everyday, also we cover reviews and much more. Plus we are the home of the Discworld Reading Guide
RJH

Postby Darren » Wed Nov 30, 2011 07:34 pm

ladyramkin wrote:Have to apologise to the nice man from the Ankh Morpork game, who was going to give me a demonstration. Something fairly urgent came up, and by the time I got back, it was too late. Anyway, I bought one. Something else for my ten year old granddaughter to slaughter me at, as in Thud, Watch Out and chess :(

Ah so you were the lady in question. We did wait for you for a few minutes, then continued with Frank in your place.

If it's any consolation, not too much afterwards Martin (aforementioned nice man) also had to go off somewhere at the hurry-up (hence I temporarily ended up custodian of a second set).
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Wed Nov 30, 2011 09:01 pm

RJH wrote:That's a different game :wink:

You know what they say - Discworld board games are like busses: you wait ages for one and they run on diesel.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Periwinkle » Thu Dec 01, 2011 08:04 am

I wish I had bought a Watch out when they were available - I loved it when we tested it a previous con !
Ears! What Ears??
Periwinkle

Postby ladyramkin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 05:32 pm

It's a lovely game, with endless variations. I think there were only a few sets made, so I really treasure mine.
Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape.
ladyramkin

Postby Pat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 06:07 pm

Periwinkle wrote:I wish I had bought a Watch out when they were available - I loved it when we tested it a previous con !

It's not hard to make a playing set from card or foamboard. Or foamboard and card. Or foamboard, half a potato and some poster paint. Not sure if the rules are on-line anywhere. I wish Trevor's card games had caught on - they were a lot of fun!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pete_of_the_bourne » Fri Dec 02, 2011 02:53 pm

There exists out there in interwebland, a rules sheet for cripple mr onion. And a company that produces a 7a suited deck of playing cards....
"I see" said the blind man. "It smells a funny colour"
Maker of "the pie"
so say we all!
Pete_of_the_bourne

Postby Pat » Fri Dec 02, 2011 07:54 pm

Someone brought Cripple Mister Onion rules to the Irish Convention, but I have to say I thought it wasn't much fun. Too many rules, not enough gameplay. I don't think you make a game better by adding rules; you do it by taking rules away.
Pat
Monitor

Postby SimonC » Sat Dec 03, 2011 01:37 pm

Pat wrote:.... Too many rules, not enough gameplay. I don't think you make a game better by adding rules; you do it by taking rules away.

Hear. hear!

Revealing my true nerdhood again, back in the mists of time I used to attend the annual National student wargaming and roleplaying championship in the RPG section. One of the most fiercely contested categories was the "Systemless" rpg where there are no rules and you could get away with anything the GM though was in character. It rarely descended into anarchy, honest! :roll: :) :)
SimonC

Postby phazedout » Sat Dec 03, 2011 08:43 pm

ahh but Simon were there many Irish people playing it? trust me, I'm capable of a descent in to anarchy on my own :lol: :shock: :?
Phaze
on the "hmm boardwalk empire with a french dwarf two bits for each set of ears" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Return to Wincanton Events