Discworld

Does anyone remember ?

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

Does anyone remember ?

Postby steveastrouk » Thu Aug 09, 2012 07:37 pm

How much the Jamboree tickets were, per adult ? I'm having an argument about the cost of a new, unrelated, event.
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett, gone but never to be forgotten
steveastrouk

Re: Does anyone remember ?

Postby steeljam » Fri Aug 10, 2012 03:06 pm

steveastrouk wrote:How much the Jamboree tickets were, per adult ? I'm having an argument about the cost of a new, unrelated, event.

Full: Adult tickets £40, Student £30, Children under 15 free.
Day tickets: £15 per person over 15.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby steveastrouk » Fri Aug 10, 2012 03:26 pm

steeljam wrote:
steveastrouk wrote:How much the Jamboree tickets were, per adult ? I'm having an argument about the cost of a new, unrelated, event.

Full: Adult tickets £40, Student £30, Children under 15 free.
Day tickets: £15 per person over 15.

Thanks ! Just what I needed ! As opposed to the event I'm looking at right now which is 100 quid PP, and 50 quid per child.

Steve
steveastrouk

Postby chrisboote » Fri Aug 10, 2012 04:57 pm

Discworld events in general tend be much lower priced than similar, non DW events
(Ask Naomi / g'nomi about the cost of the Supernatural convention she went to)
Using your old computer to shop for a new computer online is rather cruel
It's like asking your dying wife if she has any cute girlfriends
chrisboote

Postby Worbleook » Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:54 am

chrisboote wrote:Discworld events in general tend be much lower priced than similar, non DW events

That's because Discworld events usually don't have people paid to come, meaning the ticket prices do not include the "little fee" for the actors (and sometimes their agents, plus pocket money, plus expenses.)
What's the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can't blow something up?
GNU Terry Pratchett
Worbleook

Postby RealKaren » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:24 am

Worbleook wrote:
chrisboote wrote:Discworld events in general tend be much lower priced than similar, non DW events

That's because Discworld events usually don't have people paid to come, meaning the ticket prices do not include the "little fee" for the actors (and sometimes their agents, plus pocket money, plus expenses.)

And that's because we are amazingly lucky and have a great group of people who are willing to give up their time and money, there are still a lot of expenses involved in organising an event that aren't guest related though - hiring a venue, insurance, printing.. a bazillion other things.

Also, in our case (I have no idea if other things work the same but I assume so) we're volunteers on the concom but we still buy our own ticket to the event and even buy our own concom t-shirts.

K
Discworld Convention 2012
24th-27th August 2012
Hilton Metropole Hotel, Birmingham
Part of the Elite Comms Team
RealKaren

Postby steveastrouk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 am

KarenM wrote:And that's because we are amazingly lucky and have a great group of people who are willing to give up their time and money, there are still a lot of expenses involved in organising an event that aren't guest related though - hiring a venue, insurance, printing.. a bazillion other things.

The event I'm looking at is organised on exactly the same lines....only the event is at the end of the month....and the advertising hasn't really started yet......

Steve
steveastrouk

Postby RealKaren » Sat Aug 11, 2012 09:37 pm

steveastrouk wrote:The event I'm looking at is organised on exactly the same lines....only the event is at the end of the month....and the advertising hasn't really started yet......

Steve

Eeeeep... that seems... unwise. Unless they've already got all the members they need and it's already a goer. You never know, there's lots that goes on under the hood of anything like that that normal people never see.

K
Discworld Convention 2012
24th-27th August 2012
Hilton Metropole Hotel, Birmingham
Part of the Elite Comms Team
RealKaren

Postby steveastrouk » Sat Aug 11, 2012 09:52 pm

KarenM wrote:Eeeeep... that seems... unwise. Unless they've already got all the members they need and it's already a goer. You never know, there's lots that goes on under the hood of anything like that that normal people never see.
K

Ermm. No, breakeven is 220 people...they were at 148 on Friday, and they had some refunds to do too.

I've been kind of watching them peripherally for the last few weeks. They remind me, for all the world, of the Golgafrinchans in HHGTTG. Shivering with cold, because the marketing people don't know what colour fire they should make....

Steve
steveastrouk

Return to Wincanton Events