Discworld

Hogswatch 2014!

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

Re: Hogswatch 2014!

Postby demdike » Tue Jun 10, 2014 05:12 pm

And thats when it is! Its been the 28th Nov weekend for several months now. Announced at Spring Fling and I had an email from the shop way before then.
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby chrisanunder » Tue Aug 12, 2014 09:11 am

Taxis were £5 to anywhere in Wincanton last time we were there.
chrisanunder

Postby Kerry-Ann » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:50 pm

Please excuse my terrible ignorance on such a glorious event but how does Hogswatch work?

Do I need to buy tickets in advance? Or is show up on the day?

Is the programme posted on here?

Any information gratefully received.

Kerry-Ann
Kerry-Ann

Postby phazedout » Tue Aug 12, 2014 02:27 pm

Hey Kerry-ann

The programme will be posted in advance but there are qite a few off book eents as well, and people sitting aroudn and chatting, that is half the fun.

Tickets are not required, some things (like Captain Purky's story telling) will have an entry fee at the door just turn up in time to get a seat.

The friday night curry (usually organise dby my good self) is posted as a list beforehand, no limit on numbers but I won't be organising it until about 3 weeks beforehand so no major rush.

The sausage supper does require ticketing in advance but these can usually be bought through the web site and will be released about a month prior to the event.

I normally stay at the bear and Jo requests meals be indicated in advance as well, again, not so much a ticekted thing (as they can be paid for upon arrival) more an idea of what you would like so sufficient numbers of the basic ingredients can be brought in. I am not awre of arrangemnts in place a tthe dolphin but perhaps those who stay and et there can help?

If I have missed anything I am sure other forumites can fill you in!

Phaze/Alan
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Kerry-Ann » Tue Aug 12, 2014 02:39 pm

thx.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kerry-Ann

Postby gailsedotes » Fri Aug 15, 2014 06:59 pm

Hi!

The kids have grown ad it seems like Pratchette keeps us together! Is there any more info on booking or say location? We would love to come and play and be mellow and crazy!

Abi(gailsedotes)
gailsedotes

Postby phil » Wed Aug 20, 2014 07:12 pm

It will be my first Hogwatch weekend :-)
phil

Postby phazedout » Wed Aug 20, 2014 09:19 pm

gailsedotes wrote:Hi!

The kids have grown ad it seems like Pratchette keeps us together! Is there any more info on booking or say location? We would love to come and play and be mellow and crazy!

Abi(gailsedotes)

Abi,

The locaiton is wincanton, Somerset.

Across the 8 (eight eep, where did the time go) years I have been going events tend to centre around several locations within the town. PRimarily The Bear (with sweethman Hall at the back) The Dolphin (which has a games room in rrear and the corridor of shame) and The Nog. All within an asy walk/drunken Stagger of each other (up or down hilll).

Non pub things happen in the vicinity of the memorial hall (just in a bear/nog direction downhill from the Dolphinthrough an archway with large car park and of course, the shop.

Ocassional forays for those of a suicidally cidery nature can be found in Uncle Tom's (further up town form the dolphin, thatched roof.

In terms of places to stay, the pubs are usually booked up months in advance (return visitors seeking their rooms at the end of the previous event) but there is a travelodge nearby which may still have rooms available or you can also try a little further afield.

On a personal note if it isn't too far and I am not otherwise engaged, as a non drinker I am happy to run people out of town of an evening if they fancy a wee drinkie or two (could, admittedly be tricky with multiple children present also).

Feel free to ask questions if I haven't covered everything you need to know above.
Phaze
on the "Well remembers the immediate post con excitement following his first one in 2006 and desire to re enter discworld ASAP" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Periwinkle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:50 am

The date is 28th-30th November and we will have the Memorial Hall again -looking forward to seeing faces old and new!
Ears! What Ears??
Periwinkle

Postby Periwinkle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:52 am

The Discworld Emporium web page usually has a link to accommodation locally - under the Hogswatch banner - click to go back to shop and follow links for Hogswatch

Here is the link: http://www.discworldemporium.com/Hogswatch%202014
Ears! What Ears??
Periwinkle

Postby Murgatroyd » Thu Sep 11, 2014 09:14 pm

Do we have a theme yet? Any particular book or background?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby tifanny aching » Fri Sep 19, 2014 06:18 pm

Murgatroyd - the theme is celebrating the anniversaries of Interesting times and Pyramids (and I also think Going postal!) =)
tifanny aching

Postby demdike » Fri Sep 19, 2014 09:38 pm

Nope, the theme is Hogswatch!
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby tifanny aching » Sat Sep 20, 2014 03:48 pm

This year we're also celebrating three major book anniversaries - 10 years of Going Postal, 20 years of Interesting Times and 25 years of Pyramids, giving a huge range of costuming opportunity. Dressing up is wholeheartedly encouraged, so whether Noble Postman or Agatean Emperor, don your Discworld gladrags and paint the town Octarine!
tifanny aching

Postby Colin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 08:40 pm

demdike wrote:Nope, the theme is Hogswatch!
:thumbr:
Past my 'Sell-By' date.
Elder Grumpy Old Man.
Colin

Previous

Return to Wincanton Events