Discworld

Wincanton and beyond

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

Wincanton and beyond

Postby davefromdiswo » Mon Aug 25, 2014 05:26 pm

I tried last year,so will try again,here goes.
I dont have transport,i live in Bristol whereby there doesent appear anyone remotely interested in Terry Pratchett,i dont see any plays going on,any meetings,nothing.
So,my plea is to try and find someone near Bristol or in Bristol,who collects Terry Pratchett Books,and interested in going to Wincanton or elsewhere.
I have been to Wincanton for a day and visited the Emporeum also The Nog Inn,its a realy nice place.
Would love to go to one of the xmas conventions,but i need someone with transport,or basicly just want to know someone from Bristol to share thoughts on TP.
I am married,im 65 retired,so please get in touch,Dave
davefromdiswo

Re: Wincanton and beyond

Postby SANEAlex » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:05 pm

Have you thought about the Train? Bristol Temple meads to Bruton is about 20 quid many years ago when I was in between cars(the year my car died transporting Wadfest lucky turtles to Wadfest IIRC) I caught a Train to Bruton and walked in which I don't recommend because of lack of footpath and the distance but I hear Taxis are less rare these days and I think the numbers have been posted somewhere on this site.
Someone has to tilt at windmills.
So that we know what to do when the real giants come!!!!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU 'nk you Professor Sir“Mr”Terry Pratchett(pTerry)OBE #BlackboardMonitor #TheManInTheHat,Author #GuiltyOfLiterature !!!!
SANEAlex

Postby Beth » Tue Aug 26, 2014 08:06 am

The train is easy but I do believe there are a number of Discworld fans that attend events in Bristol. I will have to let them make themselves known to you. Perhaps post something in Kitchen Table?
The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings.
Beth

Postby chrisanunder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 01:19 pm

We travel by train from Birmingham to Wincanton. Getting to Bruton or Castle Cary is quite easy, its the 25 quid taxi fare from the station to Wincanton that hurts.
chrisanunder

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Sun Aug 31, 2014 09:07 pm

There a bus sevice from Castle Cary stops outside the station, but it's one every two hours.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby phazedout » Mon Sep 01, 2014 09:48 am

If you are coming to hogswatch I can collect you from train, otherwise I will be in finland, sorry
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Periwinkle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:46 am

You know - many of us are locals and live in Wincanton - Myself and Rentawitch, Pam Gower and the Boggi - all have cars/transport
I am sure for petrol money and a couple of drinks it could be arranged to pick up people from Bruton, Castle Cary or Templecombe station - Bruton is the nearest!
Ears! What Ears??
Periwinkle

Postby Periwinkle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:48 am

Nathalie Eeckhart now lives in Bristol and regularly comes to the Wincanton events - try contacting her on Facebook - I think she is on here -Lady T'Malia?
Ears! What Ears??
Periwinkle

Postby davefromdiswo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:53 am

Thanks for all your advice and comments,just wished i lived in Wincanton,thanks again,Dave
davefromdiswo

Postby chrisanunder » Sat Oct 04, 2014 05:29 pm

I just booked tickets to Castle Cary. I get in at 2:16pm on Fri, return leaves CC at 12:45 on Monday. Anyone got a bus timetable? And does the bus go by the Travelodge? If not then offers from locals gratefully accepted.
chrisanunder

Postby phazedout » Sat Oct 04, 2014 05:50 pm

I am not a local but i do have a vehicle and can collect you. we get in on thu evening so collection friday not an issue
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Postby phil » Mon Oct 13, 2014 08:31 pm

I will be on a train from London... what's the best way of getting to the travelodge from a train?
phil

Postby demdike » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:06 am

Better to take Berrys cosch from Hammersmith, drops you in the middle of town. Train station is 6 miles up a country lane and you'd need to ore book a taxi.
Death before Dishonour. Nothing before Coffee.
demdike

Postby phazedout » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:01 am

Or me, I am also bookable and way cheaper than a taxi :)
phazedout

Postby phil » Tue Oct 14, 2014 07:38 pm

Cool... Unfortunately I can't use coaches.... It the only form of transport that I suffered travel sickness!!!
I will be coming after work from Heathrow.... but I am alway happy to pay for the beer if your still available :-)
phil

Next

Return to Wincanton Events