Discworld

New to Hogswatch

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

New to Hogswatch

Postby Sapper8793 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 05:29 pm

Hi, just a quickie, anything that two newbies to Hogswatch should know? Plan on getting to Wincanton on the Friday and chilling out for the weekend. Managed to grab a family room, early on by accident ,lol.
Might be able to offer a lift from the south Cambridge/Essex area
Sapper
Sapper8793

Re: New to Hogswatch

Postby Shivers » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:18 pm

Have you ever been to a Discworld event before (camping/convention)?

My first Hogswatch I went on my own, so my first tip is to just smile and wave at people who you vaguely recognise (or don't) until you realise you're surrounded by fans and can let your hair down.
Going to the curry can be fun, and a good ice-breaker if you don't know many other attendees.
Just hanging around in various pubs is guaranteed to find you other fans to chat to.
The shop will be full for most of Saturday. Wrap up warm for queuing on the street, and make friends with your fellow queuers. Try and collect your programme early so you don't accidentally miss out on any of the fun activities.
Definitely pre-book any meals you can if trying to eat in the Bear.
Bring your wallet to both the shop and the maker's market, so much opportunity for buying yourself and others presents. All of the pretty :)
Wear what you like, the locals are well used to costumes.

Most of all - enjoy!
Irish Discworld Convention 2015 - 6th-9th October 2017, Cork International Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.orgTwittering on and on here: https://twitter.com/
And book of face here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518719671644599/
Shivers

Postby Sapper8793 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 01:41 pm

Hi
Thanks Shivers,
Neither of us been to any Discworld cons or events ,(but longtime fans), but used to do a fair amount of other cons and LRPs.
thanks for the advice , :)
Sapper8793

Postby ravens_soul » Sun Oct 12, 2014 04:38 pm

Shivers is right, most important thing is to enjoy it!

This will be my third year going to Hogswatch and it hasn't disappointed yet. I was slightly unnerved the first few minutes of showing up in the town and not knowing anybody but it very quickly became apparent that everyone was very friendly and happy to chat away.

Tips wise, I agree that getting hold of the schedule is important so that you can plan your weekend around the main events you want to go along to (but remember it's Discworld time so it doesn't always go to plan).

Don't forget to book and pick up your sausage supper tickets!

Make sure you have some funds ready and come along to the auction. It's always a good laugh and you can end up with something genuinely one of a kind.

You're guaranteed to have a good time and make some great friends along the way. :D
ravens_soul

Postby squashedladybird » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:21 pm

As with Sapper, I'm new to Hogswatch at Wincanton (though /not/ to the concept of Hogswatch itself, of course!!) Looking forward to it /so/ much.
Where can I see a programme of events?
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life
squashedladybird

Postby Pat » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:43 pm

Sapper8793 wrote:Hi, just a quickie, anything that two newbies to Hogswatch should know?

Rough Beginners Guide to Hogswatch:

1. Look around you.
2. Breath deeply.
3. Say to yourself "You're all a bunch of raving loonies" [Pratchett, T, Hogswatch 2003]
4."...and so am I!"
5. JUMP IN! THE WATER'S LOVELY!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon Oct 13, 2014 04:54 pm

squashedladybird wrote:As with Sapper, I'm new to Hogswatch at Wincanton (though /not/ to the concept of Hogswatch itself, of course!!) Looking forward to it /so/ much.

You can normally get a copy from the shop, or check here later:http://www.discworldemporium.com/information/update&token=4554fa4df6687016717a6f912b6af17b&information_id=17
Last edited by Whos Wee Dug on Tue Oct 14, 2014 08:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby ravens_soul » Tue Oct 14, 2014 03:51 pm

squashedladybird wrote:As with Sapper, I'm new to Hogswatch at Wincanton (though /not/ to the concept of Hogswatch itself, of course!!) Looking forward to it /so/ much.

Best to pick one up from the shop when you get there or you can print them off the website closer to the date.
ravens_soul

Postby ravens_soul » Tue Oct 14, 2014 03:52 pm

Pat wrote:
1. Look around you.
2. Breath deeply.
3. Say to yourself "You're all a bunch of raving loonies" [Pratchett, T, Hogswatch 2003]
4."...and so am I!"
5. JUMP IN! THE WATER'S LOVELY!

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^ + eat sausages
ravens_soul

Postby gnomi » Wed Oct 15, 2014 02:58 pm

Chill out for the weekend? Chill out? :lol:

If you arrive early on the Friday then pop to the Discworld Emporium first, it will likely be quieter than on Saturday and you can browse, meet the maddest fans, and probably Bernard too :)

Have a look round the Wincanton shops.

PS don't forget to prebook your meal at one of the pubs, or sign up for the curry, and collect you meal ticket from the shop.

Saturdays are always my favourite. All things to do are put on by fans. There will be a makers market during the day among other things, then the tradional sausage supper, a story telling session (Friday?) and some form of caberet/entertainment.

Sunday morning I suggest taking a walk to see Treacle Mine Road, or walking up to the Bayfor Hill viewing point out over the rolling hills :)

But don't forget about the tradional farewell message from Bernard!! :)

You will love it!!
No'-As-Big-As-Medium-Sized-Jock-But-Bigger-Than-Wee-Jock-Jock
gnomi

Return to Wincanton Events