Discworld

Do you keep the Secret Hogfather secret?

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

Do you keep the Secret Hogfather secret?

Postby DrummerLady » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:34 am

I just wondered. Officially it's all secret but in practice I have twice received presents signed by the giver. I also once received my gift directly from the giver, who had temporarily misplaced it.

Personally I enjoy the secret element when giving and try to avoid giving it away (I was once annoyed when Andrew asked the recipient what she thought of her gift in a way that was just a bit too casual). Once the tag fell off and stuck to something else, forcing me to declare myself publicly. I've been more careful with gift tags since then.

I have no strong feelings on how it should be done and it would not be in the spirit of a fun event if rules were strictly enforced. I'm just curious about what everyone else does. Are you secretive like me or do you sign the card? Can you never resist asking what the recipient thought of your gift? And do you know where your gifts have come from?
DrummerLady

Re: Do you keep the Secret Hogfather secret?

Postby phalarope » Wed Nov 26, 2014 02:05 pm

Given that I'm in Forn Parts, and our postal system pretty much requires the use of return addresses on mail, particularly to other Forn Parts, and parcel services require return addresses on shipping labels, it's nearly impossible for me to keep myself a secret. That being said - I sign the tag or card 'Secret Hogfather', and appreciate those who do the same (even though I spend a LOT of energy trying to suss them out - I enjoy a little challenge). I do appreciate the "Thank You Secret Hogfather" thread though, because it gives me a chance to let MY Secret Hogfather know I've actually received the prezzie, and vice versa.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Nov 26, 2014 03:51 pm

Yes, and you have to put your name on customs forms if you are sending stuff abroad. So, as much as I'd prefer to keep it secret, it's really hard. I always appreciate the effort, though. Like how my husband and I fill each others' stockings when the other one isn't there, even though we know they're doing it. It adds to the fun.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Kelshandra » Wed Nov 26, 2014 06:45 pm

Ditto- parcels from me are not exactly hard for someone to identify even if my name was written messy to try and keep some mystery :mrgreen:
The Geeky Goblin My irregular crafting inspirations
Currently working on the 2009 and 2016 Yearbooks- 2015 is ready to go!
GNU Terry Pratchett
Kelshandra

Postby Vorlina » Tue Dec 02, 2014 05:30 pm

With the exception of the one time I was lucky enough to get pTerry, and I was far too excited to shut up about it, I keep mine secret.
Vee

Keeping the monsters under the bed at bay with Bourbons
Vorlina

Return to Wincanton Events