Discworld

Hogswatch 2015

News of Hogswatch and other events in Wincanton

Re: Hogswatch 2015

Postby DrummerLady » Fri Sep 18, 2015 07:36 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Update from his Lordship, a.k.a. Mr Stephen Briggs, posted earlier this morning . . .

For clarity - I know we've clarified elsewhere - I am not aware of ANY legal interest in whether there is or isn't a Hogswatch event in Wincanton - nor whether fans do or do not dress as characters in this context. If someone knows otherwise, DM me and I will follow it up.

Chris - as the official organiser of the Secret Sausage-inna-bun, I think this give you the all-clear to dress up as the Hogfather, should the mood take you . . . :wink:

Bernard said in the Spring that he did not want to run the event so soon after Terry's death because it would be too painful but he was happy for fans to have an informal gathering. The last couple of years the Hogswatch event has attracted a huge number of people. We are not equipped to cope with those sorts of numbers (it needs the Memorial Hall to be hired for a start) and it would not be a good thing to give the impression that there is going to be something on the scale of the Hogswatch event when it's more of an informal meetup.
DrummerLady

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 18, 2015 07:55 am

Grace Speaker wrote:Update from his Lordship, a.k.a. Mr Stephen Briggs, posted earlier this morning . . .

For clarity - I know we've clarified elsewhere - I am not aware of ANY legal interest in whether there is or isn't a Hogswatch event in Wincanton - nor whether fans do or do not dress as characters in this context. If someone knows otherwise, DM me and I will follow it up.

Chris - as the official organiser of the Secret Sausage-inna-bun, I think this give you the all-clear to dress up as the Hogfather, should the mood take you . . . :wink:

I did it first, you know
I dressed as Death-as-Hogfather for the first ever Wincanton gathering, at the town twinning ceremony back in 2002, and gave packets of sausages* to Terry, Bernard, Frank the Mayor, Briggsy, ...

* From Andrews, naturally :)
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 08:12 am

chrisboote wrote:

I did it first, you know
I dressed as Death-as-Hogfather for the first ever Wincanton gathering, at the town twinning ceremony back in 2002, and gave packets of sausages* to Terry, Bernard, Frank the Mayor, Briggsy, ...

* From Andrews, naturally :)
:D :D :D
Any photos? :D :bounce: :D
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Fri Sep 18, 2015 08:32 am

Not that I know of
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 18, 2015 08:50 am

chrisboote wrote:Not that I know of
:( that's a shame, would have been nice to see some pictures of the 'Passing Of The Sausage' ceremony :lol: :wink:
Grace Speaker

Postby phalarope » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:04 pm

DrummerLady wrote:I wouldn't bother to join in if it was random as I'd have no way of knowing what the recipient wanted and would have to choose something bland or a novelty amusement that is funny for 5 minutes. Likewise, I would probably end up with something that I didn't want and couldn't even use it as the Drummers quiz prize lest the giver be present.

I'd go for the traditional approach. I would be quite fun to do it with a smaller number of people and in a different format since the Hogfather cannot make it this time.

If you are organizing for Forn Parts as well, we must be given a vict..., errr, recipient. Won't really work otherwise.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Grace Speaker » Fri Sep 25, 2015 09:54 am

Ooooo there's some luvverly Hogswatch cards new in at the DWE*

*Discworld Emporium / Department of the Weird and Eldritch (delete as appropriate)
Grace Speaker

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:30 pm

Only two new ones. :(
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Murgatroyd » Mon Nov 09, 2015 05:01 pm

Are we costuming for "Not Hogswatch" this year, or are we going in mufti?
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby DrummerLady » Tue Nov 10, 2015 09:30 am

Murgatroyd wrote:Are we costuming for "Not Hogswatch" this year, or are we going in mufti?

Not as far as I know. My understanding is that it's important that saying we are not having a Discworld event doesn't just mean calling itself something else and then doing Discworld stuff anyway.

Unless someone wanted to organise something with a non-Discworld theme, which could be fun but it's probably too short notice now.
DrummerLady

Postby chrisboote » Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:17 am

Davina has posted a lot about this in the Other Place (fb)
The general theme is Geek Love* - anything geeky you love, from Dr Who to Discworld - and even things that don't have the initials DW

* Stop sniggering Andrew
chrisboote

Postby DrummerLady » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:36 am

I've read Dave's post and it sounds great.

I hesitate to just copy/paste it all here. Any reason why not?
DrummerLady

Postby DrummerLady » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:39 am

chrisboote wrote:* Stop sniggering Andrew

I am impressed that you've learned to screen everything you say for my husband's reactions even when he is not present.
DrummerLady

Postby chrisboote » Tue Nov 10, 2015 05:59 pm

DrummerLady wrote:

I am impressed that you've learned to screen everything you say for my husband's reactions even when he is not present.

Habit
He can spot double entendres in The Clangers, remember!
chrisboote

Postby DrummerLady » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:10 am

chrisboote wrote:
DrummerLady wrote:

Habit
He can spot double entendres in The Clangers, remember!

He can spot double-entendres in sentences where there are none. He's far worse at home. I leave it to your imagination where a perfectly sensible conversation on logical fallacies ended up.
DrummerLady

PreviousNext

Return to Wincanton Events