Discworld

IDWCon 2015

Announcements & information regarding the Discworld Conventions.

Re: IDWCon 2015

Postby Endril » Thu Oct 02, 2014 05:03 pm

Yeah, it is open, but! It says "€75 per night for a single or double/twin room".
I've just ran a simulation on the website of the hotel and, during the IDWCon, they are offering rooms for €75 for October 2-4 and €79 out of this interval.
Sorry, but this is very short of "special convention rate" :(
I don't want a happy ending, I want more story.
Endril

Postby chrisboote » Thu Oct 02, 2014 07:36 pm

And if you use one of the various online booking agencies, I'm seeing it for as little as EU60/night
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Endril » Fri Oct 03, 2014 05:01 am

chrisboote wrote:And if you use one of the various online booking agencies, I'm seeing it for as little as EU60/night

Which only makes me feel happier that I haven't booked my room yet :).
I don't want a happy ending, I want more story.
Endril

Postby DavidAHarvey » Fri Oct 03, 2014 08:20 am

Thanks for the heads up Chris and Endril.
I don't know if they have a room allocation to fill (lots of cons do) but anyone going this route please don't forget to mention that you are booking because you going to the convention. Then it may still count as a booking in the con's favour.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Shivers » Fri Oct 03, 2014 08:40 am

(Thanks Dug :thumbr: )
Hotel bookings for the Watch Open Weekend have just been made available, the Times can exclusively reveal. In an interview with our correspondent, Watch spokesperson Captain Shivers acknowledged that it is now exactly one year to go until this historic Watch outreach programme. She had this to say on the subject:
"In light of reaching this important milestone, we have published details of how to book a room at our venue, the Cork International Airport Hotel, not only for the enthusiastic recruits that have already signed up, but also any potential others who may be interested in this excellent opportunity to serve alongside our great
City's finest."
Capt. Shivers strongly denied any rumours that the hotel had been booked up by the Sunshine Sanctuary's annual fundraiser, and confirmed that the Watch Open Day would go ahead on the 2nd-5th of October next year. More reports to follow as the story unfolds.
http://idwcon.org/index.php/venue/bookingaroom.html
Irish Discworld Convention 2015 - 6th-9th October 2017, Cork International Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.orgTwittering on and on here: https://twitter.com/
And book of face here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518719671644599/
Shivers

Postby Sandra » Mon Oct 06, 2014 07:00 pm

The hotel does not have 24 hour check-in - guess who's plane lands just before check-in closes*?

I am I going to be able to arrange late check-in or am I going to be sleeping in reception until they open**?

* - planned flight to be booked when flights are available
** - expecting comments about me booking a room for only a few hours...
Veni Vini Volupti

Name the deamon and it can be destroyed... and it's name is Alzheimer's
Sandra

Postby phazedout » Mon Oct 06, 2014 07:50 pm

Sandra, this may seem odd but

Cork is LOUSY with B&Bs who will probably be quite happy to take you in late if notified in advance, I am actually considering that option as unless I become a well paid phd student there is no way in hell I can afford 75 euro x 5 ( a months income for me).

A quick question for the con team (Which I did raise on FB) I am trying to order a pre con tee shirt for clleciton at hogswatch however there are only options to "ship to stored address" or "add a new address", am I missing a check box or something obvious? I really would like a tee waiting for my hot little hands in Wincanton, please, take my money :thumbr: :bounce:
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Sandra » Tue Oct 07, 2014 04:57 pm

I will be staying at the con hotel - but having reception closed between 11.30 pm and 5 am isn't helpful when my flight is due to land at 11.15...

But if they do not want to let me check-in I'll be saving, advantage number 2 is that with a book and insomnia I can still get a full nights sleep from 5 am...Hmm have to think about that.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Tue Oct 07, 2014 07:19 pm

chrisboote wrote:And if you use one of the various online booking agencies, I'm seeing it for as little as EU60/night

Just seen it for £56 a night with Breakfast included with an online booking agency, now that is cheap. :thumbl: :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Shivers » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:04 pm

One difference between all the booking rates you can find online and our rates, is that ours won't change closer to the time. The hotel's own rates are set to rise next year, and we cannot control what deals are going to be available through other websites. Obviously, you're free to book your accommodation in the manner that best suits you (you're all individuals), but as David pointed out, we have agreed with the hotel to do our best to fill a certain number of rooms.

Sandra, I'm sure that if you mention your flight's late arrival time to the hotel when booking that they will do their best to accommodate you still being able to get into your room. There will be a night porter, and they may be able to make an exception to the check in times, especially if a few guests are planning to arrive on the same flight.

Phaze, please email webmaster@idwcon.org about the order options, preferably with a screenshot as the last time we mentioned your issue he thought that it had been sorted. Also, if you book your train in advance you can get Dublin to Cork for as little as €15 (according to a telly ad I saw when I was back in Ireland at the weekend).

Please do remember for the prices that you're looking at euro, not sterling, so at current conversion rates: €75 = £59, which isn't bad for a 4 star hotel.
I really enjoyed staying there and am looking forward to doing so again. Gosh, hard to believe we're at less than a year to go :bounce:
Irish Discworld Convention 2015 - 6th-9th October 2017, Cork International Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.orgTwittering on and on here: https://twitter.com/
And book of face here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/518719671644599/
Shivers

Postby phazedout » Wed Oct 08, 2014 01:12 pm

shivers,

Thanks for that, probably my own fault will rummage out a screen shot.

re: the hotel, a person pm'd me within minutes of my post and offered a room share, which brings it down to a very affordable 200 ish, if i save.
Phaze
on the "of course gaining entry in to a phd programme may sort out many of my financial worries" ID
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Sandra » Wed Oct 08, 2014 07:33 pm

I will contact the hotel in about 11 months time, close enough for them to remember.

My booking does not have any penalties for cancellation and I have noted in the booking both IDWcon and late flight. If they cannot let me check-in I will enjoy the saving and make the place messy by napping in the reception after the bar flies head off.
Veni Vini Volupti

Sandra

Postby Pat » Fri Oct 10, 2014 09:22 am

I've check the Irish Tourist Board's requirements for hotel stars[1] and there's no requirement for 24 hour check-in. But there DOES have to be a desk at registration!

[1] There's no legal or international standard. Some countries have them and there has been some attempt at standardisation in Europe. You can call yourself a 47 star hotel if you want and that's it. You can award yourself the stars, or employ an external company to award them to you. Issues only arise if you impersonate a third party, e.g. you can claim "Five stars" but you can't claim "Five AA stars" or "Fine English Tourist Board Roses" (oe Crowns or whatever they use)
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Mon Oct 13, 2014 02:16 pm

Sandra wrote:I will contact the hotel in about 11 months time, close enough for them to remember.

My booking does not have any penalties for cancellation and I have noted in the booking both IDWcon and late flight. If they cannot let me check-in I will enjoy the saving and make the place messy by napping in the reception after the bar flies head off.

Or, I could check in for you and hang on to your room key until you arrive?
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Thu Nov 13, 2014 06:51 pm

This had me laughing. http://youtu.be/imyvFTzpjoM
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld Convention