Discworld

My first impressions on DWCon 2014 programme

Announcements & information regarding the Discworld Conventions.

My first impressions on DWCon 2014 programme

Postby Endril » Tue Jul 22, 2014 07:51 pm

So, 20 days till DWCon and the programme was posted. I think this is the usual time for the programme to be up, so, after the initial excitement and a first quick reading, I've printed it (yes, I love dead trees in situations like this!), picked up a pencil and tried to do my own preliminary schedule.

My thoughts went like that:
- Friday: cool, I can go to almost anything I'd like to! What's that big fuss about not being able to attend to all your favorite things? :wink:
- Saturday: I thought I wanted to be picked up for the Ben Aaronovitch klatch, but if I do get picked up I'd be really pissed off - getting 2 programme items at the same time is fairly ok, but getting 3 simultaneous ones pushes my patience to the limit... :x
- Sunday: Now this is a madhouse! In a six hours period I get items of interest that are overlapping like there is no tomorrow; can I go see half of each of them? :lol: The good part is that by that time I'll probably be too tired to care! :bounce:
- Monday: Not even one overlap! But this also means it is the end... :( Well, maybe next time will be better!!!

And, even being a complete noob, I am also aware that this planning will go pear-shaped pretty quick on the field. Lets say a personal 50% attendance rate for the items of interest will be a minor miracle and let the matter rest! :D

PS: Is this the right place to post this? I'm not sure, that's why I'm asking :)
Last edited by Endril on Thu Jul 24, 2014 06:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't want a happy ending, I want more story.
Endril

Re: My first impressions on DWCon 2014 programme

Postby Nonny Mouse » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:25 pm

Sure, why not?

I did a thorough examination, and here's what it looks like for me:

Friday: not much in the morning, may go exploring, will probably spend the afternoon in the lounge/bar, looking forward to evening activities.

(Note: goodness, do people really stay up that late? I'm old... but also I will be jet lagged)

Saturday: Need one clone for one half hour and two clones for an hour. I have no idea how I'm going to choose between the things I want to go to. Also not sure how to eat in the middle of the day, although morning and evening should be okay. Maybe I'll have a really big, really late breakfast and try to last until late afternoon.

Sunday: Also need the clones although my preferences there are stronger and it should be easier to decide. Also to eat.

Monday: Morning looks good. I will probably leave after noon, there is no way I could stay for the Dead Monkey Party unfortunately, I need to catch some buses to obscure locations.

Experience, however, has shown that sometimes I'm having too good a conversation to go to ANY of the three things I want, and sometimes, as for klatches, the decision is made by chance. It may also depend on just how involved I get in the Societies. I've got several pirate costumes and can easily walk around yelling "Arr!" but I may possibly not attend all the Society events. This may be determined on where I could be the most help which would give weight to those events.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Wed Jul 23, 2014 05:24 pm

I find the jet lag kicks in for me on the return journey, not so much on the outward I just stay up till my normal time which is usually late. :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 05:34 pm

Usually I'm so excited to be there that I'm wide awake, but I get really tired really early the first evening.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Endril » Wed Jul 23, 2014 09:57 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:Usually I'm so excited to be there that I'm wide awake, but I get really tired really early the first evening.

Hey, Nonny, I think I remember I've promised you a beer if we ever meet. It was a long time ago, maybe it was another person, but if you accept it then it doesn't really matter :D .
Endril

Postby phalarope » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:04 pm

What is this thing called 'sleep'? :P
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Sleep: a rare and precious resource vital to the clear thinking, functioning, and amicability of Nonnys.

Hey, I see there is a an awesome library half a mile from the hotel. I think I'll go there Thursday afternoon or Friday morning.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Nonny Mouse » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:38 pm

Endril wrote:
Nonny Mouse wrote:Usually I'm so excited to be there that I'm wide awake, but I get really tired really early the first evening.

Hey, Nonny, I think I remember I've promised you a beer if we ever meet. It was a long time ago, maybe it was another person, but if you accept it then it doesn't really matter :D .

Did you? That would be fun, though you are under no obligation of course. I might just buy one right back.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby MandyO » Thu Jul 24, 2014 03:01 pm

interesting comments, we are all always very excited to see the reactions to the programme.
I'm puzzled by the comments about Friday though, the Con doesn't officially open until Friday evening!

Mandy
Vice Chair
Discworld Convention 2014
http://www.dwcon.org
MandyO

Postby Nonny Mouse » Thu Jul 24, 2014 05:13 pm

True, which is why that day has so few conflicts :D

Those of us who are arriving early are poking about for something to do that wont' make us late to the opening ceremony. I think the library right around the corner is not to be missed.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Endril » Thu Jul 24, 2014 06:35 pm

Nonny Mouse wrote:
Endril wrote:

Did you? That would be fun, though you are under no obligation of course. I might just buy one right back.

Deal, as long as you buy me one I've never tried before :)
Endril

Postby Endril » Thu Jul 24, 2014 06:39 pm

MandyO wrote:interesting comments, we are all always very excited to see the reactions to the programme.
I'm puzzled by the comments about Friday though, the Con doesn't officially open until Friday evening!

Mandy

Me = noob, so I'm planning to attend on at least 3 programme items before the official opening - troll's guide, gopher briefing and the knowing (although I bet I'll fail the knowing test, but it's at least a good orientation exercise! :) ).
Endril

Postby phazedout » Thu Jul 24, 2014 07:50 pm

I recall my first newbie guide at my very first con back in the halycorn days of 2006.

By the end of it Endril you too will be chating "when in doubt GO TO OPS"

I am sad to be missing this con, the last one becuase of venue, this because of financial crippling form being a poor student.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Nonny Mouse » Fri Jul 25, 2014 09:19 pm

The Hedgehog party says one is welcome to bring local delicacies. That would be challenging for me, except possibly some candy which would go rather fast I fear.... I could maybe smuggle in a bottle of pickled jalapeno peppers if I wrapped it very, very carefully in the luggage.... or, perhaps that small bottle of jalapeno vodka, except it would probably have some ill effects on the imbibers....
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Jul 25, 2014 09:52 pm

Endril wrote.

[/b]Hey, Nonny, I think I remember I've promised you a beer if we ever meet. It was a long time ago, maybe it was another person, but if you accept it then it doesn't really matter :D .[/quote]

Did you? That would be fun, though you are under no obligation of course. I might just buy one right back.[/quote]
:lol: :lol:
Deal, as long as you buy me one I've never tried before :)[/quote]
How about water!!! :lol: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Whos Wee Dug on Sat Jul 26, 2014 01:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Next

Return to Discworld Convention