Discworld

DWCon 2016?

Announcements & information regarding the Discworld Conventions.

Re: DWCon 2016?

Postby adrian2 » Mon May 04, 2015 02:03 pm

So far it looks like 400 memberships have now been sold within the first two hours.

I would hate to be somebody who has gone away for the weekend and find that the hotel is probably booked out.

I booked as soon as it opened and the time taken to enter mine and sandra's details and pay by papal which was less than 5 mins 40 people were in front of me.

It is a bit strange as I have recieved two hotel booking confirmation emails in the last two hours, hope it's just a glitch with the emails.
adrian2

Postby AgnesNitt » Mon May 04, 2015 02:09 pm

I got two confirmations as well.

Everything but quad rooms are gone and they've started saying there's a nice hotel 10 minutes down the road...

I know there were problems with the Hilton but at least everyone fit in and it was all on a level.
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby adrian2 » Mon May 04, 2015 02:15 pm

The prices for the Ramada look pretty good for people on a budget and if you can walk it may be at least not a terrible option.
adrian2

Postby AgnesNitt » Mon May 04, 2015 02:24 pm

To be honest, I'd rather pay more to be in the hotel than have to walk 10 minutes alone in the dark in a strange town... but that's just me.

Just as long as they don't expect me to share with people I don't know because I booked a triple, which seems to be a double with a sofa bed... slightly over priced for that if you ask me.

As a side note... Quad Superior Room — 2 Beds, 4 Adults.... seriously? more kinky than superior if you ask me.
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon May 04, 2015 02:33 pm

The hotel is just too small for a DWCon and too remote to be convienent.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Miss Tick » Mon May 04, 2015 02:56 pm

all booked membership confirmation emails to me twice, other went to wrong address (my fault) and I need to find it, but no email re-room booking although the page shows I have booked, will search other email accounts and leave emailing anyone until its a bit calmer.

The other hotel should perhaps have been approached sooner, but hey hindsight’s a wonderful thing!

The Con Com has a hard job and you will never please everyone. I’m just happy its someone else doing the organising I know I couldn’t do it.
Miss Tick

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon May 04, 2015 04:07 pm

I read that the emails went out twice because there was an error on the dates corresponding to the wrong day of the week.

I'd rather walk to the Ramada than camp. I just can't bring enough stuff overseas to be comfortable camping, even borrowing someone else's tent. I can barely manage my costumes.

Luckily Renta got a room and I am rooming with her :D So I am good. Really happy, actually.

But if that hadn't worked I think the Ramada would have been okay. It's not that far so people like me who can't drive there would be okay.

I agree that whatever the Com chooses there will be complaints, but so far it's all worked out okay for me and this time too.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby DavidAHarvey » Mon May 04, 2015 07:23 pm

We're got our memberships and are taking advantage of the camping option - gosh I hope the weather is kind.
The initial rush for memberships seems to be calming down but still a crazy number sold on the first day (as I type its at A589) and, with the hotel stating their conference capacity at 700, getting, I would expect, close to topping out. Certainly I hope there there isn't a return to the Hinckley model of selling more memberships than can fit into the main hall.
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby DominoFalling » Mon May 04, 2015 08:33 pm

Well looks like I will be camping. Chesford Grange hotel had run our of rooms when I tried to book around 5:30pm, I feel so sorry for any Americans who were waiting until they woke up today to book, rather than getting up in the middle of their night to register and book a room.

I spoke to the Ramada at 7:20pm this evening and they were already booked at 80% capacity (with DW Con bookings), had run out of single rooms and all they could offer me was a suite with single occupancy at a rate of £95.

I am sad. I was so looking forward to the 2016 DW Con. I was hoping to bring new fans along to whom I have been raving (as usual) how fab the DW Cons are.

I have been in communication with the ConCom and in their email they said that with PTerry being dead they were expecting less fans so chose a smaller venue. What? Only DEATH knew when he was collecting Sir Terry, the ConCom must have been in hotel negotiations for months. We attend Cons for the other fans, having the Creator there was just a fun extra. Over the last 10 years the Con attendance has only grown, for the 2014 Con the registration ran out within 2 months of opening, lots of fans want to attend DW Cons. The ConCom have not negotiated an overflow hotel at a special Con rate (basic contingency planning), for if there were more attendees than they were expecting.

I know all the ConCom are vulunteers and they are doing their best but they could have sent an email to previous attendees to get some idea of interest if they were in doubt about numbers. I have run a Con, I know what hell it is, but there is a logic to it all

I have suggested that they have 16 months to find a venue more suited to a DW Con, but I do not hold out much hope.

Going off to cuddle my Discworld collection to cheer myself up.

Hugs
Karen
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out, shouting '...whoooeee...what a ride!' And she who dies with the most toys - wins!
DominoFalling

Postby AgnesNitt » Mon May 04, 2015 09:16 pm

They thought we would suddenly stop liking Discworld because he died? :shock: Conventions don't work that way... and I do understand what a difficult job it is but making sure you have a suitable number of rooms you need for the attendance is quite basic. Most of us have been waiting for the booking to open, they could easily have found out numbers.

Maybe they should do what one of the Trek cons I attend do and offer to take a deposit for the next one before we leave the hotel.

E-mail to you Domino
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

Postby adrian2 » Mon May 04, 2015 09:20 pm

It seems strange that the concom thought that attendance would be lower after Terry's death given that it was understood by Terry and previous committees that the one after his passong would be a wake to celebrate the man and his works and I predicted to Sandra that it would sell fast.

This is why I sat on my PC waiting for registration to open.

Although for future cons this years eastercon was at the Premiere inn at heathrow and that seemed to work well with 1000 members and they had more than enough rooms.
adrian2

Postby SimonF » Mon May 04, 2015 09:27 pm

adrian2 wrote:It seems strange that the concom thought that attendance would be lower after Terry's death

The hotel and membership numbers were all planned out before then, and plans were far too late to change.

The reason two confirmations went out was because for some people, the wrong dates were on their hotel booking confirmation - a cosmetic thing, since the bookings themselves were fine. We sent it out again to everyone so that no one was missed.
SimonF

Postby adrian2 » Mon May 04, 2015 09:32 pm

SimonF wrote:
adrian2 wrote:It seems strange that the concom thought that attendance would be lower after Terry's death

The hotel and membership numbers were all planned out before then, and plans were far too late to change.

The reason two confirmations went out was because for some people, the wrong dates were on their hotel booking confirmation - a cosmetic thing, since the bookings themselves were fine. We sent it out again to everyone so that no one was missed.

But according to DominoFalling's post above

"I have been in communication with the ConCom and in their email they said that with PTerry being dead they were expecting less fans so chose a smaller venue."

so who is sending out that information as it sems contradictory.
adrian2

Postby SimonF » Mon May 04, 2015 09:36 pm

adrian2 wrote:But according to DominoFalling's post above

"I have been in communication with the ConCom and in their email they said that with PTerry being dead they were expecting less fans so chose a smaller venue."

so who is sending out that information as it sems contradictory.

I sent that email, and in it I said we were expecting a smaller membership because we knew in advance Terry would be unable to attend.

At the time the Convention was chosen - and the option to camp was part of the decision as a reflection of repeated comments about hotel costs - Terry was still with us.
SimonF

Postby AgnesNitt » Mon May 04, 2015 09:51 pm

SimonF wrote:I sent that email, and in it I said we were expecting a smaller membership because we knew in advance Terry would be unable to attend.

Can I ask what you based that assumption on? It seems rather arbitrary to me and as I said before, easy to check, I'd have been happy to reserve a place for months.

What's bothering me is the lack of smaller sized rooms, I know we're a friendly bunch but there's friendly and there's friendly and not all of us are comfortable with the idea of sharing (bed or room) with someone we've only met online, where the alternative is sleeping in a field or a rather uncomfortable walk.

BTW I haven't had an answer to my e-mail, are the comms team still working through them or should I be resending... I'm afraid it's rather too late for me to change anything now anyway since all the rooms seem to have gone.
Seek Peace

#GNUTerryPratchett
AgnesNitt

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld Convention