Discworld

DWCon 2016?

Announcements & information regarding the Discworld Conventions.

Re: DWCon 2016?

Postby Nonny Mouse » Sun May 10, 2015 02:27 am

I think people are reaching for each other for support.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby jane yes jane » Sun May 10, 2015 01:52 pm

As the hotel cost more than I could justify I looked up alternatives as soon as I could. The Ramada looked a good bet at 0.4 miles away according to Google. It did worry me being somewherer else, now it looks like the hotel is full of other Con goers so I'm not going to be the only one in funny clothes having breakfast, rolling up past midnight singing Gold Gold Gold etc. Phew.
No I'm not going to grow up, people only make you take responsibility for things.
jane yes jane

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon May 18, 2015 05:06 am

Oook!

Got the funniest thing* in the mail yesterday.

I open the mailbox and see these two oversized postcards with the upcoming Con's logo on them, and my first thought is that they organizers have sent some sort of ticket to show that Spkiey & I registered. Then I turn one over to read, and it starts out by thanking me for attending the 2014 Con, and suggesting that I might want to attend the upcoming Convention, which starts (future tense!) selling memberships on May 4th.

Reeeeeally wondering when these adverts/postcards/super-cool-bits-of-paper were sent out. And on the flip-side, thinking how crushing it would have been if they were my first indication of the next Con, considering the plethora of Early Birds :shock:

Any of my other For'in** bothers and sisters out there get one of these? :D

* I actually laughed the whole ride up the elevator to my apartment after realizing what I was holding
** I'm just going to go ahead and assume all you Brits (who bothered attending at Manchester) got one :wink:
What ape? Oook! :book:
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Mon May 18, 2015 01:13 pm

I got one as well. :lol:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby phalarope » Mon May 18, 2015 08:54 pm

Me too, also too late if I had actually planned to attend. :roll:
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.' -- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips

phalarope

Postby Nonny Mouse » Mon May 18, 2015 08:56 pm

phalarope wrote:Me too, also too late if I had actually planned to attend. :roll:

Bummer! It was cool to see you guys there last time.
Outmaneuvered on all counts, I opt to change the rules.
- Never Cry Wolf
Nonny Mouse

Postby Molokov » Tue May 19, 2015 04:24 am

We have yet to receive our postcards (and yes, we did go to the 2014 Con)... one of my fellow Adelaideans did get his, and once again it arrived well after the 2016 Con tickets had been on sale and sold out. Good thing we a) knew about the sale dates in advance and b) weren't planning on going anyway.
Nullus Anxietas 7 - The Australian Discworld Convention
12th-14th April 2019
Mantra Bell City, Preston, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
https://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Thu Nov 19, 2015 09:04 am

Oook!

Intro:
For reasons of pure insanity I'm trying to organize the itinerary for my Convention-based vacation NOW.
With that in mind, I've already booked flights, and now have moved on to the matter of the before/after hotels and travel thereto. Since Spikey & I will arrive on Wednesday (at Heathrow) and we're planning to take the train to Warwick on Thursday, we'll need to look for a hotel close to a relevant platform.

Questions:
My google search showed me that the only train station in London for Warwick is London Marylebone - is that true? If not, could someone refer me to a web-site with more options?

Thank you!!
Librarians Apprentice

Postby adrian2 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 08:34 pm

You are correct the direct line to Warwick will be from London Marylbone station.

On the current winter timetable there is one direct express train every hour to Warwick with only 3 intermediate stops and it takes 80 mins.

Note that Lemington Spa station is also on that line and is the stop before Warwick is also close to the hotel with the added benefit of a train every 30 mins rather than every hour to Warwick so when looking for hotels you might want to look at both of those areas if you can't get into a hotel anywhere closer.

Expect a cab fare of about £12-£20 from either station to the con hotel on my ready reckoner.

As for tickets there are cheap "Apex" fares for £12 each way per person, these are limited tickets which means you can only travel on your selected train and are only avaliable 12 weeks before travel and on some lines these go very quickly.

More open tickets are avliable and travelling off peak (between 10am and 3pm and after 7pm at night) you can get an open ticket which is about £29 off peak.

Note the summer timetable may be different and fares will be going up anywhere between 3% and 15% this January.

If you go to this website.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/

You can search timetables and see fare options and even set an email reminder to be told when the cheap tickets become avaliable.

I don't know about being sent tickets overseas but you could buy them and have the option to collect them from an automated ticket machine using the card you paid for it. You need to check with the railway operator though.

If you want to know anything else just shout.
adrian2

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Tue Nov 24, 2015 06:29 am

Oook!

Wow! That was a lot more detail than I was expecting - thank you! :D :D :D
Librarians Apprentice

Postby Librarians Apprentice » Mon Jun 27, 2016 09:44 am

Oook!

Less than 2 months to go! :shock: :bounce: :D :shock: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Librarians Apprentice

Postby phazedout » Tue Jun 28, 2016 06:59 am

I'll have a car with me and will be driving down form birmingham mid afternoon on the thursday
As things don't really kick off until friday evening and I don't drink I'm quite happy to cllect people from teh train station, or, if applicable, hang around birmingham airport for a bit on thursday to drive them down.
PM me here if interested.
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Shivers » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:24 pm

Anyone already started a who's going list? Or shall we start it in this thread?
Irish Discworld Convention 2019 - 29th March - 1st April 2019, Cork International Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.orgTwittering on and on here: https://twitter.com/
And book of face here: https://www.facebook.com/irishdiscworld/
Shivers

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Tue Jul 19, 2016 07:51 pm

I should be landing about noon on Friday then train to the nearest station. :mrgreen:
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby Shivers » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:32 pm

Myself and Probably Rachel will be coming up on Thursday morning/early afternoon :bounce:
Irish Discworld Convention 2019 - 29th March - 1st April 2019, Cork International Hotel
News and updates here: http://www.idwcon.orgTwittering on and on here: https://twitter.com/
And book of face here: https://www.facebook.com/irishdiscworld/
Shivers

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld Convention