Discworld

Getting to Scheibenweltfest 2015.

Announcements & information regarding the Discworld Conventions.

Getting to Scheibenweltfest 2015.

Postby rentawitch » Thu Jul 02, 2015 04:22 pm

Apparently, I can fly to Frankfurt, Dusseldorf or Dortmund.
Trains from Frankfurt to straight to Witzenhausen, couple of hours.
Trains from Dusseldorf to Witzenhausen go VIA Frankfurt.... four plus hours.
Flights to Frankfurt don't go from Bristol. Heathrow is expensive.

Any ideas, anyone?

I suppose could drive from Dusseldorf but this could be expensive unless someone else going the same way?
As we journey through life, discarding baggage along the way, we should keep an iron grip, to the very end, on the capacity for silliness.

Saufen fur Frieden auf Erden

I love my computer, all my friends live in it. :)
rentawitch

Re: Getting to Scheibenweltfest 2015.

Postby annebn » Wed Jul 15, 2015 02:58 pm

According to Skyscanner.com, both bmi regional and lufthansa fly Bristol to Frankfurt. Not super cheap, but then train tickets or car hire are not free either.

Another idea might be Easyjet from London-Luton to Hamburg. Train from the airport to Witzenhausen around three and a half hours. does require two changes though. (I've never been to Luton, so no idea how easy that is to reach).
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby annebn » Wed Jul 15, 2015 03:12 pm

There is a section of the Scheibenweltfest forum for offering and looking for lifts:http://forum.ankh-morpork.de/viewforum.php?f=40
You could try to put a post on the event forum and ask if anyone is driving from Düsseldorf. I know most of the posts on the forum are in German, but lots of people there are able to read and reply in English.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby chrisboote » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:06 am

I'm planning to fly to Frankfurt, then get a train to Witzenhausen, on Thursday afternoon/evening
Unfortunately, the last flight back on a Sunday is about 19:30, meaning leaving Witzenhausen at about 16:00
So I might stay a bit later, get a later flight, stay in a Frankfurt hotel on Sunday night then get a flight back on Monday a.m.
Or the same, but to Düsseldorf

Any thoughts anyone?
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Tue Jul 28, 2015 03:48 pm

I've only just sorted Ireland and now I have to start thinking about Germany ?!?! WAAAAHHHHH!!!!
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:03 am

Looks like train/car to Manchester, then fly to Frankfurt is my best option. Happy to share the trip between Frankfurt and Burg Ludwigstein. Have you decided whether to fly on Sunday or Monday yet? And rough;ly what time will you get to Frankfurt?
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:39 am

Pat wrote:Looks like train/car to Manchester, then fly to Frankfurt is my best option. Happy to share the trip between Frankfurt and Burg Ludwigstein. Have you decided whether to fly on Sunday or Monday yet? And rough;ly what time will you get to Frankfurt?
That was directed at Chris but I'm happy to share with anybody heading for the Convention! Looks like there are direct flights Leeds/Dusseldorf too, though they have "Below average legroom" :-( Anyone familiar with the rail links? Looks liek we have to get to Gottingen or Kassel (Dontogonearthekassel?) and then switch to the local service - which make me nervous about travelling on Sunday! Might be worth hiring a car.
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Tue Aug 11, 2015 09:37 pm

Ok I think I'm going to fly to Frankfurt, arriving Thursday 15:20 and departing Sunday 22:15 and I'll be renting a car. Anyone want a lift?
Pat
Monitor

Postby chrisboote » Wed Aug 12, 2015 07:08 am

Pat wrote:Ok I think I'm going to fly to Frankfurt, arriving Thursday 15:20 and departing Sunday 22:15 and I'll be renting a car. Anyone want a lift?

That would be great, yes please
I don't arrive at Frankfurt until 16:30 though (although I'll have hand luggage only, so can whizz through) is that OK?

Thanks
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 08:21 am

chrisboote wrote:I don't arrive at Frankfurt until 16:30 though (although I'll have hand luggage only, so can whizz through) is that OK?

Should be OK. Anyone else? I haven't rented the car yet so please shout if you're bringing big/multiple suitcases
Pat
Monitor

Postby phazedout » Wed Aug 12, 2015 09:47 am

Pat wrote:
chrisboote wrote:I don't arrive at Frankfurt until 16:30 though (although I'll have hand luggage only, so can whizz through) is that OK?

Should be OK. Anyone else? I haven't rented the car yet so please shout if you're bringing big/multiple suitcases

You are, perchance pat recalling that teeny tiny car I hired and the three attempts it took to get up the hill to castle, yes? also poor Annika stuffed in to a corner along with our mutual luggage in the back :)
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Pat » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:29 am

phazedout wrote:You are, perchance pat recalling that teeny tiny car I hired and the three attempts it took to get up the hill to castle, yes? also poor Annika stuffed in to a corner along with our mutual luggage in the back :)

That car would fit in the glove compartment of what I plan to hire...
Pat
Monitor

Postby Basement » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:35 am

Pat wrote:
phazedout wrote:You are, perchance pat recalling that teeny tiny car I hired and the three attempts it took to get up the hill to castle, yes? also poor Annika stuffed in to a corner along with our mutual luggage in the back :)

That car would fit in the glove compartment of what I plan to hire...

A stretch HumVee?
GNU Terry Pratchett
Basement

Postby Pat » Thu Aug 13, 2015 08:00 am

Basement wrote:A stretch HumVee?
Yes, but not stretched in the usual dimension.

Any more for any more? Or shall I go ahead and book something suitable for Chris and me with not much luggage?
Pat
Monitor

Postby Pat » Mon Aug 24, 2015 09:25 am

OK, I have a car. There's probably room for another person should anyone want a lift from Frankfurt around 4pm on Thursday or to Frankfurt around 5pm on Sunday.
Pat
Monitor

Next

Return to Discworld Convention