Discworld

Strangely Fascinating III--DWCon 2016 The Band with Rocks In

Announcements & information regarding the Discworld Conventions.

Strangely Fascinating III--DWCon 2016 The Band with Rocks In

Postby Jan Van Kverm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 05:57 pm

Hi peeps! :D Whether you're off to Warwickshire in August or not, this is the time of year when YOU can take part in the fun by helping out with question-setting for Strangely Fascinating - QI for Discworld! :twisted: If you ARE going to the Con then you automatically get a back stage pass while we set up the show, which is going to be one of the main early evening events and (I hope) in one of the bigger conventions venues (in 2014 at Manchester we were in the main theatre! :shock: ).

As usual we have Chris Boote and Pat Harkin cast as Discworld alter-egos of Stephen Fry and Alan Davies respectively, and this time around I'll finally be able to supply proper MP4 vids which ought to make the slides that come up on the side screen(s) easier for Tech to juggle - for Nobody Knows & General Ignorance etc. I've asked for 3 other Guest panellists, hoping for Jacqueline Simpson as defending champion again and/or Rob, Stephen Briggs, Daniel Knight (Troll Bridge) or even Bernard if he makes it that far! :D HOWEVER, we may need last minute substitutes for the panel as we've had one guest in the past who chickened out at the foot of the stage - so, if you're going, know an awful about Disworld, and are very nice to The Lady then this could be your chance at Discworld Medya fame! :mrgreen:

The theme of this convention is obviously The Band with Rocks In and so we need our fiendish question-setters to have read and deconstructed SOUL MUSIC please to pick up nasty, obscure questions, including parallels with the Roundworld performers and songwriters who are hidden in the sub-text - the book's particularly rich in those themes so hopefully we'll have plenty to work with.

Just post in here to register your interest in taking part in pre-production and/or at the Con and I'll PM you back with our planning blog site away from here, so we keep our material nice and fresh for everyone in August! :bounce:
Jan Van Kverm

Re: Strangely Fascinating III--DWCon 2016 The Band with Rocks In

Postby dwmoook » Wed Apr 06, 2016 07:48 pm

Hi Jan, We'll be at the Con and I am happy as always to make a fool of myself if needed.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor - Discworld Monthly
dwmoook

Postby Jan Van Kverm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 07:58 pm

Wunnnnderful Jason! :D I've posted this over on the HP forum to, so Who's Wee Dug will joining us as well :D
Jan Van Kverm

Postby phazedout » Wed Apr 06, 2016 08:11 pm

I am good friends with (and currently roooming with on my finnish holiday) Jacob Sebastien Lofgren, folklorist and Doctoral candidate on things prathcetty. Sadly he's not going to the con but I am, if I have him set a few questions and submit on his behalf would that be ok?
[regarding Alan Rickman] He had Tim Curry's ability to save the day by putting literally all the scenery in his mouth and gnawing on it like a deranged woodchuck.
phazedout

Location: Ballina, Mayo the sunny west of Ireland (rimwards of wincanton)

Postby Jan Van Kverm » Wed Apr 06, 2016 09:52 pm

Absolutely, Phazedout! :D I think we'd be v. interested in 'cultural' music like the Dark Morris as well as staying wholly with Soul Music so we can trip people up a little as well - but anything musically related to Pterry and Discworld is fair game :wink:
Jan Van Kverm

Postby Jan Van Kverm » Tue Jul 05, 2016 02:38 pm

Guys - so sorry to neglect you, but I've been busy getting a new book together. It's all released now (mostly) and all the 'heavy' tech stuff is out of the way so, as of now, I should have more time to put in for our 'traditional' contribution to the convention! :D

Good news is that we've been confirmed as a major Sunday afternoon programme item - our slot is set for Sunday, 15:00-16:00 Main room where all the big events will be going on!
We also have set up and guest sessions from 14:00 - 15:00 in the main room as well. I've got some of the tech stuff sorted already with the slides and noises off, so hopefully I won't be whisked off into a side room again & forget to leave the NOBODY KNOWS paddles with the team like last time... :oops:

As before, if anyone from the forum's convention-bound and willing to help out either before August (helping set the questions which must be Soul Music themed) or during the convention (helping get the set ready (3 tables and 5 chairs and divers banners), then you'll be most welcome :P

And... best news for last :P Verbatim from the programme team - "For the guests, we have found you Jacqueline (our champion! :bounce: ), Peter Morwood and Daniel Knight" HOW COOL IS THAT! :mrgreen:

Will be back soonish... 8)
Jan Van Kverm

Postby Jan Van Kverm » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:36 am

:shock: :sunny: IT'S NEARLY HERE!!!!! :sunny: :shock:

:twisted: IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PREPARED FOR THE QUIZ COULD YOU PLEASE PM ME WITH THEM (OR TO GET MY CONTACTS FOR EMAIL) BEFORE CLOSE OF PLAY ON WEDS! :twisted:

I'll be finalising the question matrix for Chris Boote before I set off for Kenilworth early on Thursday - I CAN fit in late arrivals on the fly with the tablet when I'm at the convention, but I'd like to get the bulk of the work done before I get there and start having lots of beer... :ugeek:
Jan Van Kverm

Postby DavidAHarvey » Tue Aug 30, 2016 02:03 pm

Thank you to all involved in Strangely Fascinating it was lots of fun to watch even if the audience did end up in last place due to excessive enthusiasm...
Cosmo, Prince of Denmark, not the greatest man at darts; the reason English Kings often come in several parts.
DavidAHarvey

Postby Grace Speaker » Tue Aug 30, 2016 02:11 pm

DavidAHarvey wrote:Thank you to all involved in Strangely Fascinating it was lots of fun to watch even if the audience did end up in last place due to excessive enthusiasm...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
More information required please!
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Wed Aug 31, 2016 03:18 am

They gained lots of points for answering the questions that stumped the panel, but were penalised even more for shouting out answers before the panel had a chance to get it wrong

And thanks to everyone who wrote questions, to the patient and wise scorekeeper, to tech for making it possible, and of course to Jan for organising everything :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 09:14 am

chrisboote wrote:They gained lots of points for answering the questions that stumped the panel, but were penalised even more for shouting out answers before the panel had a chance to get it wrong

And thanks to everyone who wrote questions, to the patient and wise scorekeeper, to tech for making it possible, and of course to Jan for organising everything :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Wish I'd been there, sounds like it was loads of fun. Did you use the "paws and whiskers" question, and if yes did anyone get it right?
Grace Speaker

Postby chrisboote » Wed Aug 31, 2016 01:24 pm

Grace Speaker wrote:
chrisboote wrote:They gained lots of points for answering the questions that stumped the panel, but were penalised even more for shouting out answers before the panel had a chance to get it wrong

Wish I'd been there, sounds like it was loads of fun. Did you use the "paws and whiskers" question, and if yes did anyone get it right?

Yes, and No.
And when I said the answer, and the audience groaned, and one lone voice moaned about a 'trick question', I did say "Have you ever actually seen QI before?"
Reading: Staring at the remains of a dead tree and hallucinating
chrisboote

Postby Grace Speaker » Wed Aug 31, 2016 01:45 pm

chrisboote wrote:Yes, and No.
And when I said the answer, and the audience groaned, and one lone voice moaned about a 'trick question', I did say "Have you ever actually seen QI before?"
:thumbl: :thumbl: :thumbl: Tee hee! I was quite proud of that one :twisted:
Grace Speaker

Return to Discworld Convention