Discworld

When a full set isn't?

Discussion and news on the ranges of Discworld picture trading cards.

Re: When a full set isn't?

Postby Granny Pearson » Sat Oct 17, 2009 02:20 pm

Right my dears,

Here is the full story on the cards.
Waterstones requested 4 cards to go in with the books. The cards they chose were Rincewind, Librarian,Charlie and the Luggage. Of these the Luggage
is exclusive to Watersones and has their logo. The sharp eyed amongst you have spotted that these cards are from a series of 15 and this is because initially we were producing a set of 15 cards.

The Waterstones cards were printed a month or so before we printed ours and in the meantime Paul Kidby had his pencil flying at the speed of light
and kept coming up with ideas that Terry liked. So we held back at a mere 20 cards except...Paul also slipped in a couple of substitues, namely Bernie the Bolt and Paul The Other One, which we added to our print run.

Our standard pack of 20 cards includes the 19 players listed and the Luggage who is not allowed to play.
The Football LBEs contained all of these 20 cards plus the 2 substitutes plus the 3 non-exclusive Waterstones (set of 15 cards)
We are giving away the substitute cards with copies of Unseen Academicals sold from the shop/website
So far, so straighforward-ish

The final bit of serendipity if you can call it that, is that some very good friends helped us pack some of the card sets for sale. It was only after they had done a box full, that we realised that they'd included the substitutes in the packs.

I looked at Bernard, Bernard looked at me, it was late, we were tired and we both said sod it, lets give them a treat. So some of you have a treat.

Any of you who missed out and would like the 2 substitute cards have only to mention it when next you order and we'll supply them FOC

Hope this answers all the queries, if not I'll try again.

Isobel
Granny Pearson

Postby Joolz » Sat Oct 17, 2009 05:54 pm

Thanks for all the background, Isobel. Just one topic springs to mind for me about which to ask a couple or so of questions. The exclusive "Luggage" card for Waterstones and the other "Luggage" card in the shop set. What are the differences? Is it only the Waterstone's logo? Is that on the front or back of the card? Are there two different illustrations of the Luggage on the front of the card? Do the texts on the back of the cards differ?
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Joolz

Postby Squigglyx » Sat Oct 17, 2009 09:47 pm

Nobody wrote:Peoples replies have helped in tracking down these, and after dropping Isobel a line they have been top trumps once again in solving the issue.
I always said they were my favourites, but do wish there had been more info available prior for this one.
So everything is rosie with the world once more! :D

So what did Isobel say then.....

Just Giving Link
Liverpool to Leeds Canal
Ride in aid of Cancer Research
Squigglyx

Postby Ponders Apprentice » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:06 am

The Waterstones version of the Luggage card looks like this...

Ponders Apprentice

Postby annebn » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:37 am

Squigglyx wrote:
Nobody wrote:Peoples replies have helped in tracking down these, and after dropping Isobel a line they have been top trumps once again in solving the issue.
I always said they were my favourites, but do wish there had been more info available prior for this one.
So everything is rosie with the world once more! :D

So what did Isobel say then.....

I'm guessing this:
Granny Pearson wrote:Any of you who missed out and would like the 2 substitute cards have only to mention it when next you order and we'll supply them FOC
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Joolz » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Ponder's Apprentice wrote:The Waterstones version of the Luggage card looks like this...
Thanks. That clears up my question.
Joolz

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Tue Oct 20, 2009 05:11 am

Seeing Granny Pearson's response above I am crossing my fingers to see what i get!
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Stalby » Tue Oct 20, 2009 05:18 pm

Is it still possible to get a set of the waterstones footbal cards? Or has anyone a spare set? Please PM me.
Illusions are trickery, Magic is for real.
Stalby

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Wed Oct 21, 2009 04:16 pm

Well, not 'full set' for me.... Oh well....
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby annebn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 09:27 pm

Strange, I got a set with the album, which included the two substitute players. And because I asked for it, I also got an extra pair of the substitutes, so now I have them spare. Send me a PM if you want them Exp. Date.
Humans are always slightly lost. It's a basic characteristic. It explains a lot about them
-Terry Pratchett, Lord and ladies
annebn

Postby Joolz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 09:55 pm

annebn wrote:Strange, I got a set with the album, which included the two substitute players.
I interpret Isobel's post above, extracted below, to mean that some did and some didn't, specifically that only the box of packs prepared by the "very good friends" got the extra cards.
Granny Pearson wrote:...some very good friends helped us pack some of the card sets for sale. It was only after they had done a box full, that we realised that they'd included the substitutes in the packs.

I looked at Bernard, Bernard looked at me, it was late, we were tired and we both said sod it, lets give them a treat. So some of you have a treat.
Joolz

Postby Murgatroyd » Fri Nov 20, 2009 06:42 am

I've just received my Album and cards... lovely artwork. Having bought the Book from The Cunning Artificer, and got my two substitute cards, I supposed that I would have the full set...
Alas no... the Album has spaces for the Waterstones cards as well... Now whilst it seems that by dint of a bit of humble pleading it is possible to get Granny Pearson to send you a pair of substitute cards, it looks as though the Waterstones cards could only be obtained by buying the book from them, and getting there quickly enough to get one of the stickered copies... (if any were delivered to the branch local to your town...)

Now that leaves a rather odd message for the completist : If you buy the next Pterry book from Waterstones, and get their freebie, then scrounge the Cunning Artificer freebie you'll wind up with a full set...
If you show loyalty, and buy the next book from the Cunning Artificer, you'll wind up missing out on the Waterstones freebie, with no way of obtaining it outside of buying it from the other place... (if ever offered for sale).

That seems a tad harsh... and I weep when I think of all those people who bought the book from Waterstones, took one look at their free cards, and chucked them into the bin...
Unless anyone knows of a way of getting a spare set of Waterstones cards, my Album will remain uncomplete... Sob
I can only conclude that I'm paying off Karma at a vastly accelerated rate.
Susan Ivanova. Babylon 5
Murgatroyd

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:27 pm

Keep checking on ebay I'm sure they will turn up.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby AshloreDarkShadow » Sat Nov 21, 2009 09:12 pm

Murgatroyd wrote:I've just received my Album and cards... lovely artwork. Having bought the Book from The Cunning Artificer, and got my two substitute cards, I supposed that I would have the full set...
Alas no... the Album has spaces for the Waterstones cards as well... Now whilst it seems that by dint of a bit of humble pleading it is possible to get Granny Pearson to send you a pair of substitute cards, it looks as though the Waterstones cards could only be obtained by buying the book from them, and getting there quickly enough to get one of the stickered copies... (if any were delivered to the branch local to your town...)

Now that leaves a rather odd message for the completist : If you buy the next Pterry book from Waterstones, and get their freebie, then scrounge the Cunning Artificer freebie you'll wind up with a full set...
If you show loyalty, and buy the next book from the Cunning Artificer, you'll wind up missing out on the Waterstones freebie, with no way of obtaining it outside of buying it from the other place... (if ever offered for sale).

That seems a tad harsh... and I weep when I think of all those people who bought the book from Waterstones, took one look at their free cards, and chucked them into the bin...
Unless anyone knows of a way of getting a spare set of Waterstones cards, my Album will remain uncomplete... Sob

Well it just seems a bit of a shame really -
I thought like yourself the Album would have just the Subs missing -
hence my earlier post saying I wouldn't bother on this thread...
Then Isobel said kindly they would send them out if asked.

Anyway - I got mine off Amazon - for the stamp.
But if you want the stamp / waterstone cards + the 2 subs
That could have been 3 lots of books you would have purchased... :!:
(ie Shop/Waterstones and then Amazon when you found out about the stamp)

Mark
AshloreDarkShadow

Postby NoahEscalona » Thu Sep 30, 2010 01:47 pm

I found the missing ones on ebay. Now I've got the full set! :D

I had an alert set up so I could nabe them.
Do you have been through brand new salehoo review which often effective computer programs known as perfect uninstaller. That belly are perhaps dependable the foremost problems truth about six pack abs. Just most recent option to buy backlinks .
NoahEscalona

Previous

Return to Picture Cards