Discworld

When a full set isn't?

Discussion and news on the ranges of Discworld picture trading cards.

When a full set isn't?

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 15, 2009 02:52 pm

Can anybody help with information as to how one can actually get a full set of the football jolly sailor cards?
I bought my copy of the book from Waterstones so had their bonus cards, (which obviously are not exclusive like they claimed) and have just received my album and full set from the shop. But there are still 2 spaces for the substitutes. (The Bolt, and the Other One). But I cant find any information anywhere as to how one can get hold of these?
So from thinking I had a full set, I havent!
Boo hoo, or do I need more P?
Nobody

Re: When a full set isn't?

Postby SimonC » Thu Oct 15, 2009 03:13 pm

The Waterstones cards are different from those in the set of 20, if only in the detail. If you look on the back, Rincewind, the Librarian and Charlie are "from a series of 15" rather than 20, whereas the Luggage is different again.

Paul "the other one" Kidby and Bernard "The Bolt" Pearson are exclusives to the shop. They were added to the standard set in a bundled pack sold over the weekend which contained the cards, album, an LBE and the Football event programme. I believe they are also included with UA if you buy it from the Emporium and finally, if you're really lucky, you might find them in the Jolly Football LBEs.
SimonC

Postby Nobody » Thu Oct 15, 2009 03:29 pm

Thank you for clearing that up.
So will need to stick the waterstones cards in the album, picture side down to show the backs, and was not lucky enough to get the substitutes in the football LBE's, so guess will have to hope that they are sold as extras to get the full set and complete the album.
Pity I couldnt get to the event last weekend but guess thats how it goes.
:( oh well
Nobody

Postby Pat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 03:46 pm

The Waterstones cards aren't quite like the ones you can buy in the shop. When the Waterstones cards were designed, there were to be fifteen cards, so it you look at the back of the cards it says "of a set of 15" but plans were changed and there are now 20 cards in the set - and it says that on the back of the shop-bought/LBE cards.
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Thu Oct 15, 2009 08:37 pm

WAIT! So are you telling me that even thought I ordered the album and the full sheet together I will STILL not have the complete set!!!!
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Are you telling me that I will ***GASP*** have to spend MORE money to get the 'full set'?!?!?!?!?!?!
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby SimonC » Fri Oct 16, 2009 09:55 am

Pat wrote:The Waterstones cards aren't quite like the ones you can buy in the shop. When the Waterstones cards were designed, there were to be fifteen cards, so it you look at the back of the cards it says "of a set of 15" but plans were changed and there are now 20 cards in the set - and it says that on the back of the shop-bought/LBE cards.

Like I said......
SimonC wrote:The Waterstones cards are different from those in the set of 20, if only in the detail. If you look on the back, Rincewind, the Librarian and Charlie are "from a series of 15" rather than 20, whereas the Luggage is different again.

There were some of the Waterstones cards in the LBEs as well as the Kidby and Bernard specials over the weekend. I know 'cos I found some of them :)
SimonC

Postby Darren » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:11 am

Iirc the Kidby card is in the set you can buy from the shop, but that one is missing the Luggage.
Grumpy old mod.
Darren

Postby Pat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:31 am

SimonC wrote:
Pat wrote:The Waterstones cards aren't quite like the ones you can buy in the shop. When the Waterstones cards were designed, there were to be fifteen cards, so it you look at the back of the cards it says "of a set of 15" but plans were changed and there are now 20 cards in the set - and it says that on the back of the shop-bought/LBE cards.

Like I said......
SimonC wrote:The Waterstones cards are different from those in the set of 20, if only in the detail. If you look on the back, Rincewind, the Librarian and Charlie are "from a series of 15" rather than 20, whereas the Luggage is different again.

There were some of the Waterstones cards in the LBEs as well as the Kidby and Bernard specials over the weekend. I know 'cos I found some of them :)
Yeah, got distracted before posting the reply! I haven't actually opened my packet from the shop yet - nor, come to think of it have I opened the Waterstones ones!
Pat
Monitor

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 16, 2009 01:17 pm

Thank you everybody for explaining how the Waterstones cards "are different" from the ones bought from the shop. But I never said they werent!!!! I mentioned how they were not exclusive, as has now definately been proven by the fact they are also to be found in the LBE's. So not exclusive to Waterstones at all. (I loved their "exclusive design commissioned from the artist Paul Kidby...." of the Luggage. To my untrained eye it is exactly the same with different text on the back and their logo, but otherwise the actual image apperas identical (and thus not exclusive) to the one coming from the shop. Yes the text and logo can be defined as the design, but personally I would have thought the design was the actual image.)
But my main point was that I have an Album with spaces, and at the moment no way of filling it, so feel dissapointed as thought i was buying the full set of cards to complete the album.
I have e-mailed the shop, so will await to see if these sub cards can be gained, as hope they are able to be as helpful as they usually are.
Nobody

Postby Pat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 03:11 pm

Nobody wrote:I have e-mailed the shop, so will await to see if these sub cards can be gained, as hope they are able to be as helpful as they usually are.
I think the "sub" cards (if you mean Bernard "The Bolt" Pearson and Paul "The Other One" Kidby) were being given away with the book in the shop
My next project is a book in which I explore the influence of the music of Beyonce on the writings of J R R Tolkien. It's called "It you write it, you have to put a ring in it"
Pat
Monitor

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Fri Oct 16, 2009 05:35 pm

Pat wrote:
Nobody wrote:I have e-mailed the shop, so will await to see if these sub cards can be gained, as hope they are able to be as helpful as they usually are.
I think the "sub" cards (if you mean Bernard "The Bolt" Pearson and Paul "The Other One" Kidby) were being given away with the book in the shop

So if you bought the book elsewhere and want those cards you will have to buy the book again? There is no other way to get those two cards?
In hard times remember the Great God Om's first words: HEY! LOOK WHAT I CAN DO!

BOSTON STRONG!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Death » Fri Oct 16, 2009 06:42 pm

Pat wrote:
Nobody wrote:
I have e-mailed the shop, so will await to see if these sub cards can be gained, as hope they are able to be as helpful as they usually are.I think the "sub" cards (if you mean Bernard "The Bolt" Pearson and Paul "The Other One" Kidby) were being given away with the book in the shop

So if you bought the book elsewhere and want those cards you will have to buy the book again? There is no other way to get those two cards?

There is always the possibility that someone (like me) may have some to swap/give away!!

The Mad Flatalist!
:bounce:
Mike
The Mad Flatalist!!!!!

'And I promise you this,' he shouted, 'if we succeed no-one will remember. And if we fail, no-one will forget!'
Death

Postby AshloreDarkShadow » Fri Oct 16, 2009 07:45 pm

Must have missed the 2 subs bit - :(
So no doubt I'll not bother now - if the so called full set and book arn't really a full set :?:

Thanks for posting the thread - Hope you find/get the missing 2

Cheers
Mark
:D
AshloreDarkShadow

Postby Squigglyx » Fri Oct 16, 2009 08:56 pm

AshloreDarkShadow wrote:Must have missed the 2 subs bit - :(
So no doubt I'll not bother now - if the so called full set and book arn't really a full set :?:

Thanks for posting the thread - Hope you find/get the missing 2

Cheers
Mark
:D

I got 'The Other One' in a LBE, not sure if these will still be available though
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett
Squigglyx

Postby Nobody » Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Peoples replies have helped in tracking down these, and after dropping Isobel a line they have been top trumps once again in solving the issue.
I always said they were my favourites, but do wish there had been more info available prior for this one.
So everything is rosie with the world once more! :D
Nobody

Next

Return to Picture Cards