Discworld

Help please! UA cards

Discussion and news on the ranges of Discworld picture trading cards.

Help please! UA cards

Postby simone » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:39 pm

Was the Waterstone's UA Exclusive (Hardcover, slipcase) the one with the cards as an extra? There is no mention in the ad, and i don't want to shell out GBP40 for a book i already have (albeit signed) if there is no bonus, may as well get one from the shop and hope for a bonus there! :?
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.
simone

Re: Help please! UA cards

Postby steeljam » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:16 am

Move from Kitchen Table to here,
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby Whos Wee Dug » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:17 am

There were no cards in the slipcase edition,just in the standard Waterstones HB edition. :( but they were limited I have not seen any in the editions on the shelfs now.
A Midgie in yur hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Whos Wee Dug

Postby simone » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:32 am

Thanks. (Bugger, bugger, bugger) The Emporium ones were probably limited, too. :( :( :( (Still that's the rewards of procrastination!)
In wine there is wisdom, In beer there is freedom, In water there is bacteria.
simone

Postby Pete_of_the_bourne » Sun Nov 15, 2009 09:54 am

I asked in my local waterstones, and none of the staff had even heard of the cards, I even took some in to show just incase it jogged a few memories, but nope. Which is annoying, to say the least.
As far as I'm aware, the emporium cards that I bought with the UA we got there, are the same as the ones from amazon, you just get a selection rather then all of them though. So rest easy, only 4 to find!
"I see" said the blind man. "It smells a funny colour"
Maker of "the pie"
so say we all!
Pete_of_the_bourne

Postby Ponders Apprentice » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:39 am

Just after the book came out there was a flurry of Waterstones editions with cards on ebay.

I checked just now and (out of around 60 books) there is only one with the unopened packet of 4 cards.
Ponders Apprentice

Postby Doc Brown » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:41 pm

Pete_of_the_bourne wrote:I asked in my local waterstones, and none of the staff had even heard of the cards, I even took some in to show just incase it jogged a few memories, but nope. Which is annoying, to say the least.

Last weekend they still had the books with cards inside at the Waterstones in Milton Keynes, you could give them a ring or maybe complain to Waterstones and see if they can help.
Doc Brown

Postby barber80 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 03:11 pm

Bought my book last weekend and had a minor fright myself at Waterstones at The Mall, Cripps Causeway, Bristol. The first book I picked up had no cards but I then noticed other copies with a circular black sticker on the front "Inside:exclusive collectors' cards!". Sure enough there was a small packet attached to the back of the book with peelable glue. Happy I've got mine but there are obviously going to be some disappointed souls out there. I did want to buy online but there was no mention of the cards on the Waterstones web site so I braved the traffic.
barber80

Postby Pete_of_the_bourne » Sun Nov 15, 2009 08:27 pm

I'll have to keep a look out, I went into the local one again today, asked another member of staff. They hadn't heard of em, she rang the people who work out back in the stock room, then asked her manager, and neither of them had any clue what I was on about either. They did mention that sometimes they do stamps and things with book launches e.t.c, but ni cards so far.
So I'll keep looking, maybe only some of the stores recieved the black stickered copies. Bah!
Maker of "the pie"
so say we all!
Pete_of_the_bourne

Postby Pete_of_the_bourne » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:54 pm

Sometimes, you just have to actually look don't you?
Today, after going through my hogswatch bits, I looked at my UA cards again. The ones from amazon, and the 5 I got in a little pack when I bought UA from the emporium.
Looking at the back of Charlie, librarian and rincewind, I noticed that the ones from the shop are different from the ones from amazon. Instead of saying "a set of 20 cards.." they say "a set of 15 cards..."
other than that, the cards are identical. So it seems the only one I am missing, is the waterstones luggage with the 'W' on the front.
3 down, 1 to go.
Maker of "the pie"
so say we all!
Pete_of_the_bourne

Postby Ponders Apprentice » Mon Nov 30, 2009 09:26 am

I was on holiday in Boston (Lincolnshire) last week and the Waterstones there had a mixture of special & non-special issues for sale.

They confirmed that they would post the book if ordered by phone at an additional cost of £4.99 (UK only) so this could well be a viable option (their books are still only £12.99).

The £4.99 sounded like company policy so other branches may be willing to do the same.
Ponders Apprentice

Postby Pete_of_the_bourne » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:51 am

I checked the waterstones there week before Christmas as we were up visiting relatives but to no joy :(
however, I now have em all anyway! So yey me!!
Spotted a black sticker shortly after crimbo at the Eastbourne store. Whoop!
Maker of "the pie"
so say we all!
Pete_of_the_bourne

Postby archerinwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:04 pm

If I bought the book with the cards still inside unopened does that increase the price. If so how much is it worth now?
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
archerinwood

Postby steeljam » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:20 pm

archerinwood wrote:If I bought the book with the cards still inside unopened does that increase the price. If so how much is it worth now?
What you paid for it at best. There are lots of albums out there.
You buy it for you. Most collectors start off collecting because they enjoy having the items. It is later when the items are rarer that they discover they have a goldmine, but not always.
I collect GB stamps and have all the stamps issued during the reign of Elizabeth II. Some items are quite valuable but most won't realise the money I paid for them. But I am getting great pleasure owning them.
Flickr Photos : DW Events : Discworld Stamp Catalogue : Motorcycle diaries
Register your birthday on the forum
X-Clacks-Overhead GNU Terry Pratchett
steeljam
Monitor

Postby archerinwood » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:27 pm

what, are you saying it is better to get the album for it or to leave them in there?
I will be playing Thenardier at the Theatre royal in Margate, Kent from 24th July to 28th. If you are in the area at the time please click the link to get more info:
http://www.theatreroyalmargate.com/~the ... %2Fles-misérables

Thanks
archerinwood

Next

Return to Picture Cards